ADVERTISEMENT

WHEN the new coach is hired....

Opportunity knocks. I’m certain there are a number of coaches who want this job and can handle it.

The key to next year is who returns. I’ve stated in numerous threads that I believe Reed returns.

If a legacy recruit who has always dreamed of playing at UK leaves after one year then imo the program is done.

He returns along with Theiro and that’s a good start. The new coach can decide who else he wants back if he can convince them.

The best thing going forward is kids won’t come to UK for a quick path to the NBA. There are plenty of good to great college players who would have fit well at UK but we’re never even considered by Cal.

So looking forward to that.

This is UK.

Ya got 1 grace year to set things in place an clear bad habits. After ya gotta win no excuses.

Hell no I’m not giving a new guy a honeymoon period. Dumb ass suggestion.

I didn’t like Cal when we hired him. I judge people on their personalities, and character, more so than wins and losses.

That’s why I was a big Joe B and Tubby fan. Revisionist history will treat both better than when they held the seat.

I’m more equipped to handle the Golden types than the board and fan base will be and I welcome it.

I just told you what will happen.

Golden isn’t bad. He’s basically a younger Pearl that came from his tree. Just really untested.

We expect our teams to beat the teams we're supposed to beat, be competitive in equal marquee matchups (champions classic) and rarely find ourselves as underdogs. Upsets happen but they should be a rarity, not an every Tuesday night kind of thing. Most importantly, our next head coach needs to prioritize winning. At the end of the day that's how he's measured for success. If he does that he'll have the support of most.

So you would have run Pitino off after year 1. We have some real idiotic fans.
Pitino came in during probation. A new guy would be replacing a team that was in the top 10 this season. 10,000% different scenarios. Talk about idiotic fans…

Be hard to build a team like that. Even 4 stars will hit the portal on you if another coach offers them a staring roll.

No programs are built overnight with the transfer portal. Not through recruiting 3 and 4 star players. That’s what tubby did.
Need a good mix of both until we have our own pipeline and system established. Then, use the portal to fill gaps. But for a year or two, the portal will obviously be huge.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
And I say WHEN because the Cal era is over....will WE agree to give him a couple honeymoon years to recruit 3 and 4 stars who are not using as as a turnstile to the league?

Will you STFU when the long game recruiting strategy does not yield failed #1 recruiting classes?

Cal has created this reoccurring nightmare that does not change in 1 season.

Do you agree to give him some time to clean the stench of Cal from the program?
I'm completely on board with that. It has to be "if you're good enough to learn our system and make the most of your time on the court ON BOTH ENDS OF THE COURT, then you'll get playing time. Regardless of ranking. Earn your ranking.

Reactions: DrH. Lecter
Pitino came in during probation. A new guy would be replacing a team that was in the top 10 this season. 10,000% different scenarios. Talk about idiotic fans…
No. Pitinio was left with MUCH more than any new coach will be now. 4 of their names hang in the rafters you clown.

THAT is the revolving door problem Cal created.

And I say WHEN because the Cal era is over....will WE agree to give him a couple honeymoon years to recruit 3 and 4 stars who are not using as as a turnstile to the league?

Will you STFU when the long game recruiting strategy does not yield failed #1 recruiting classes?

Cal has created this reoccurring nightmare that does not change in 1 season.

Do you agree to give him some time to clean the stench of Cal from the program?
Not going to happen, cal will leave when he wants to.

No they don't get years to recruit. This isn't 2003 anymore. If you are hired at UK you better bring transfer, HS recruits immediately and have success.

I think you can build a teams and have success a plethora of ways. There is no one recipe and I leave it up to the coach to utilize whatever manner he is most comfortable with, but they better be successful doing it. There is no buffer period. Come in ready to win or don't come.

Anyone well known will be costly, and we aren't paying Cal 6.5 million a year and then a new coach 7 - 8 million a year, plus their staff. Also, I would imagine the current assistant coaches have buyouts in their deals as well. Plus, UK will suffer a pretty large tax hit because this all relates to payroll, which I highly doubt it tax exempt.

If we go the college route for our next coach, they will likely have a buyout due at their current school.

We will also likely need to fork over a lot for NIL incentives to immediately build a team from the portal for year 1 or to encourage current players and commits to stick here for a year.

That's not even factoring in fringe benefits, signing bonuses and so forth.

We will be spending around 65+million to make this one change happen. So you can bet your ass the expectations will be sky high for the new coach from day 1.
Please explain the "tax hit" statement in the second paragraph.

Recruits don't equal success. They just help. We've had the best classes forever for the most part and tons of programs have been more successful. Cal has apparently brainwashed a good percentage of the fans.
That is a perfect sentiment to his career. It’s been 12 years since our last championship. Needless to say we’ve had several top-5 recruiting classes since and had both success and utter failure. Recruiting is necessary but not the ONLY thing that needs to be worried about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT