ADVERTISEMENT

Wheeler releases heartfelt statement to Kentucky fans

With the possible exception of Reeves, it is better for all the seniors to clear out, taking their expectations with them.

Clearly, the team will be built around ultra-talented freshmen, with Thiero, Onyenso, Ware as back-ups and up to three impact transfers to fill some gaps.

That's the average among the final four teams -- three transfers who start or play significant minutes. Add some bulk inside and three-point shooting to an immense level of raw talent and athleticism among the freshman which can't be replicated or picked in the portal.

I feel like they think they were protecting Wheeler, but they’ve hurt him much more.

If what’s alleged is true, just have Cal come out and say “we had a disciplinary issue, and it’s been resolved. Sahvir understands the mistake he made, and because of that we as a team decided we want him to remain with the team. However, it is my decision that he will not play the rest of the year.”

Fans would be upset but ultimately understand. By showing he can be a mode citizen, he’d be welcome whenever he transfers.

But this whole “HES HURT! HE’S PRACTICING! HE JUST HAD A PROCEDURE DONE! NO WAIT HE COMING BACK! JUST KIDDING!” stuff makes no sense, breeds resentment, and hurts the player.

I feel like they think they were protecting Wheeler, but they’ve hurt him much more.

If what’s alleged is true, just have Cal come out and say “we had a disciplinary issue, and it’s been resolved. Sahvir understands the mistake he made, and because of that we as a team decided we want him to remain with the team. However, it is my decision that he will not play the rest of the year.”

Fans would be upset but ultimately understand. By showing he can be a mode citizen, he’d be welcome whenever he transfers.

But this whole “HES HURT! HE’S PRACTICING! HE JUST HAD A PROCEDURE DONE! NO WAIT HE COMING BACK! JUST KIDDING!” stuff makes no sense, breeds resentment, and hurts the player.
I still don’t know what has even been alleged, this is the only place I look at- no social media.

I still don’t know what has even been alleged, this is the only place I look at- no social media.

It’s been on here. Allegedly he skipped a team meeting after the South Carolina loss. It’s also alleged he quit/stormed out/cussed at Cal. This is all speculation, or at best a fuzzy source… but again, in this day and age we’re all gonna run wild with it. Nip it in the bud.

Obviously something happened, as the injury stories don’t make sense, and Cal has admitted in his book he lies about these situations.

I just don’t get where they think these shenanigans help. Same with the Sharpe fiasco..

Some of you just insist on believing in conspiracy theories despite the
total lack of evidence. You just want an excuse to hate Wheeler. I wonder why.

It’s been on here. Allegedly he skipped a team meeting after the South Carolina loss. It’s also alleged he quit/stormed out/cussed at Cal.

Obviously something happened, as the injury stories don’t make sense, and Cal has admitted in his book he lies about these situations.

I just don’t get where they think these shenanigans help. Same with the Sharpe fiasco..
Thanks. I did see the skipping the meeting one and forgot, but did not see that one with Cal, though.

I think Cal is just too entrenched with players first, and it has come back to bit him in the ass the last few seasons.

Some of you just insist on believing in conspiracy theories despite the
total lack of evidence. You just want an excuse to hate Wheeler. I wonder why.

I wanted Wheeler back to play 8-10 min a game. I thought he could be really effective in less minutes, and give Cason some rest. I don’t hate him. He’s frustrating as a 40 min a game guy but he should never be in that position.

It’s clear something happened. The waffling back and forth about injury/practice/returning makes no sense. Having Ellen walk for him on senior day because of a procedure that had to be done that day makes no sense.

I don’t get the logic in not just letting the fans know something occurred to where he won’t be playing, and that’s that. Especially in this day of social media and internet where things can run wild fast

That last paragraph is what drives so many of us nuts. It insults our intelligence. And as consequence, many of us then get angry.

With the possible exception of Reeves, it is better for all the seniors to clear out, taking their expectations with them.

Clearly, the team will be built around ultra-talented freshmen, with Thiero, Onyenso, Ware as back-ups and up to three impact transfers to fill some gaps.

That's the average among the final four teams -- three transfers who start or play significant minutes. Add some bulk inside and three-point shooting to an immense level of raw talent and athleticism among the freshman which can't be replicated or picked in the portal.

Actually the average among the final four teams this year is to have guys return. SD State returned 10+ guys from last season including 4 guys that used their covid year to come back. Uconn got 6 back. And FAU and Miami got 8 back.

But i think this season will also ultimately prove to be a major outlier. Having a bunch of guys that have played 5 and 6 years isn’t going to happen again.

Top 3 least liked Kentucky player of all time for me. Annoying, talentless, dramatic, quitter, delusional, and his game and frame, yikes.

And some of our fans wanted more of this guy and wanted him to have control of this team for 2 years. I hope they slow down for a while. sadly most of those types never learn. They’re in the McDonald’s All American game thread acting like we’ve won a title already. Never learn.

449a50033e294773f5303d15ffa734b1.gif

If you think this freshman class is taking UK anywhere, you certainly weren't paying much attention to what happened in college basketball this season. Without success with the transfer portal, we will struggle to match this season's number of wins. These young kids are not ready to take on 4 and 5-year seniors.

I wanted Wheeler back to play 8-10 min a game. I thought he could be really effective in less minutes, and give Cason some rest. I don’t hate him. He’s frustrating as a 40 min a game guy but he should never be in that position.

It’s clear something happened. The waffling back and forth about injury/practice/returning makes no sense. Having Ellen walk for him on senior day because of a procedure that had to be done that day makes no sense.

I don’t get the logic in not just letting the fans know something occurred to where he won’t be playing, and that’s that. Especially in this day of social media and internet where things can run wild fast
We know what happened. He got injured. It's time to move on from
this nonsense.

• Haha
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It is obvious that Cal is pushing these players out the door which should be the final proof needed to see that Cal is all about sending players to the NBA. If he was about winning, he would be looking at keeping someone around who has somewhat of a clue as to what he tries to coach. Yeah, I know that we will have 3 players possibly from this year but none of them saw much playing time and don't know enough to be helpful to incoming class.

Reactions: crestcat

What are you referring to

Reactions: Chitown Terry
Form letter. Written by UK's PR dept or a member of Barnhart's staff. Standard procedure these days.
I don't have any ill will toward Wheeler. He should never have been on the roster. In fact most of our problems the last few years start with terribly constructed rosters. Then, mismatched players are asked to run a antiquated system of bball and be successful with it. Doomed to fail before the first practice ever takes place.

Thanks. I did see the skipping the meeting one and forgot, but did not see that one with Cal, though.

I think Cal is just too entrenched with players first, and it has come back to bit him in the ass the last few seasons.
He keeps saying stuff like "not going to get hijacked again", but I think he's figured out that he only has to create a couple of soundbites each season in order to not have to deal with the Basketball Bennies and the Administration so that he can enjoy his Draft Night and summer cookouts. The guy lies so much he should have a teleprompter attached to his brain so that we can all just ignore him.

I'd take Toppin back.

I think it’s starting to make sense why Cal protected Wheeler and didn’t just kick him off the team in January. MJ said today if he ends up where he was told he was going back in January that it wouldn’t be random. Then Ryan said maybe Collins ends up there too.

I think he goes to Louisville. That’s why Cal didn’t dismiss him. All he was doing was saving face for Wheeler/Payne so it wouldn’t make Payne look bad for taking a kid who quit on his team.

CCC would have to admit there was a problem, heaven forbid! We all know his teams don’t have problems LMAO.

These are all written by the same dude, and say exactly the same thing.
This. The SID office drafts all these goodbye statements. The player just signs it. Which is why they always use the same wording and say the same things every year.

Reactions: March 22
I think it’s starting to make sense why Cal protected Wheeler and didn’t just kick him off the team in January. MJ said today if he ends up where he was told he was going back in January that it wouldn’t be random. Then Ryan said maybe Collins ends up there too.

I think he goes to Louisville. That’s why Cal didn’t dismiss him. All he was doing was saving face for Wheeler/Payne so it wouldn’t make Payne look bad for taking a kid who quit on his team.

Some chatter on Twitter that Wheeler and Collins are a package deal and UL and Duke (Jai Lucas) are the top two destination possibilities

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT