ADVERTISEMENT

What's your prediction for the upcoming season, won-loss record & how far do we advance in the tournament?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
My prediction is that we go 28-9 & lose in the Sweet-16

Our strengths are
1. - UK has great height 6'9, 6'9, 6'11, 7'0, 7'2
2.- We're 2 deep at every position
3.- Our roster has probably at least 7 future NBA players

Our weakness are
1. - A extremely young team 8 freshmen & 2 inexperience sophomores
2.- All underweight guys at the 4 & 5 spots
3.- A head coach that has his players playing as tight as a banjo string at tournament time

Last edited:

Our strengths are
1. - UK has great height

Our weakness are
3.- A head coach that has his players playing as tight as a banjo string at tournament time
I would have to agree with 9 to 10 losses

I really don’t care to discuss predictions anymore. Half of us think we should just cancel the season and the other half say they should just go ahead and mail us the trophy. In reality, both opinions are just that..opinions. Let’s just play the season

Our strengths are
1. - UK has great height

Our weakness are

On the coach? You do realize Cals NCAA tournament record for his career is insanely good.

That's just a narrative about having his teams tight. A lot of that is dependent upon personalities of players, etc.

You don't think BBN causes any tightness? Lol

34-6, Win Title

Strengths:
* Positional Depth
* Positional Flexibility
* PG Depth
* Length
* Elite Talent
* Proven player development leader
* Youth with history of winning
* HOF coach being questioned

Weaknesses:
* Bulk on block
* Current injury status
* Youth, tourney inexperience
* Pressure

Last edited:
By far the best answer on this thread.
Actually it’s not. That is the 3rd game of the season. I expect the young freshman to improve immensely from mid November to March regardless of the outcome of that game.

Reactions: ORCAT
Ask again after the Kansas game, I need to see this team versus a really good opponent first before I make any judgements
I'd say ask again after the Miami game. That first game is always a crap shoot. We got torched by Zion and Duke but then had a good run.

While I like to win that first game, it doesn't always spell the story of the season.

Ask again after the Kansas game, I need to see this team versus a really good opponent first before I make any judgements

I get this line of thinking and it is fair.

All that said, this team checks the boxes on paper if healthy.

They are deep at guard, have shooters and have immense flexibility to play truly positionless. They have shot blockers (if healthy) and an ability to play 5 out.

They have an NBA mind who is using tools to develop these guys. They also have a bunch of competitors. DJ Wagner will punch a guy in the nose. He is a winner.

This is everything we've been begging for in a team, on paper.

Actually it’s not. That is the 3rd game of the season. I expect the young freshman to improve immensely from mid November to March regardless of the outcome of that game.
The games against big opponents are where you learn what you have and if you are going to compete or not, the 3rd game is early yes, and it’s not fair to make complete judgments, but that Kansas game is going to give us a early feel of what this team is and where they stand

I'd say ask again after the Miami game. That first game is always a crap shoot. We got torched by Zion and Duke but then had a good run.

While I like to win that first game, it doesn't always spell the story of the season.
Kansas to me is going to show us how much they need to work on or how good can/will be. A game against Kansas will tell us a lot even if the champions classic doesn’t really matter

Reactions: ORCAT
We have seen over the last few years, cals in game adjustments have been unbelievably terrible and losing to inferior teams talent wise happens much too frequent. We will see if coaching has improved by mid December.

I remember another team that looked great on a summer trip playing tomato cans getting run out of gym by Duke in its first big game. It sucked the life right out of the season at least as far as alot of fans were concerned. If KU beats us it will do the same except the fan bases mood is much different than it was then. Cal has to win those games early or it will become very negative with our fans increasing tension and pressure on everyone.

I think I picked 27 back in June. Id probably still stay right there. If our freshmen are as good as "I" think they are(and project to be in 6 months) then 27 is probably light by 3-4 games.

People talk about the "weakness" of this class. Our class is part of the strength that builds it and not the weakness that brings it down.

On the coach? You do realize Cals NCAA tournament record for his career is insanely good.

That's just a narrative about having his teams tight. A lot of that is dependent upon personalities of players, etc.

You don't think BBN causes any tightness? Lol

I was going to say this. Granted we have an early tournament exit in recent history and things been rough but normally when we have good teams (and I think this year it'll be good), Cal usually has us playing the best basketball in March. For the most part, we don't look tight at that time.

If anything I see this more like the good teams we've had where we might take some lumps early on but figure it out and be in a good position come tourney time.

9-10 losses. Elite Eight run. I think we will struggle in SEC play, but will be a team no one wants to see in their bracket come March.

Similar to the 2014 team.

Reactions: KYExtemper
I'm gonna say 6-7 losses, and an elite 8. I think we could lose a few more games and I also could see us losing a few less.

I think our talent and depth will generally get us the wins most nights.. but the SEC is much better than it was the last time we relied on elite freshman to push us through. Some of these teams lole Arkansas and Alabama will get one on us. We will probably drop an OOC game or two. But I think we will fare better here. I think we will get some of this "can't beat top25 teams" off our back.

The 2018-19 team lost by a thousand to Duke in early November.

In late March they were a stretch of nine minutes-plus without a foul called on their opponent combined with normally good shooters going 23 percent from the 3-point line from going to the Final Four - a game lost in OT. That same Duke team that everyone thought was light years better than anyone else in November lost in the same round after barely surviving the two previous games on 'lucky breaks,' as ref bias is sometimes called.

So I'm not sure a judgment in early November will be much more valid than one made now.

12 losses
2nd round exit

This isn't 2010, college ball is loaded with mature teams that run effective offenses that put a premium on scoring in bunches. A great offense will beat a great defense more times than not.

This is the worst year to be young, cbb is older this year than it has ever been. This team has future NBA potential, but that means very little on a college basketball court and by the time this team figures it out, the hole will be too deep.

If the current injuries are overcome quickly, and there are no more to key players, I am guessing this teams ceiling is 6 losses and floor is 10 losses. As far as the post season, it is just too much about matchups to even predict.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I have no idea. I’m usually an optimist before a season, but the last few years have made me jaded.

I could see it being like the 11 team. A solid team, but takes some losses on the road in SEC play. Gets 4-5 seed, and hopefully gets hot in March.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
12 losses
2nd round exit

This isn't 2010, college ball is loaded with mature teams that run effective offenses that put a premium on scoring in bunches. A great offense will beat a great defense more times than not.

This is the worst year to be young, cbb is older this year than it has ever been. This team has future NBA potential, but that means very little on a college basketball court and by the time this team figures it out, the hole will be too deep.
They won’t lose 12 games, and 11 In the regular season of your prediction is correct. This team has pieces that calipari has been successful with and they have shooting. 5-8 losses seems like the max during the regular season, but it’s way to early to make serious judgements until they play somebody

If the current injuries are overcome quickly, and there are no more to key players, I am guessing this teams ceiling is 6 losses and floor is 10 losses. As far as the post season, it is just too much about matchups to even predict.
UConn is proof that you just have to get hot at the right time

Reactions: Blueheart32

Our strengths are
1. - UK has great height 6'9, 6'9, 6'11, 7'0, 7'2

Our weakness are
I'd say 32-5 and a FF berth. with KU,UNC and Gonzaga looming I'd think we could win 2/3 with them.

Reactions: cal=8 and Ukgold
Absolutely. Actually, most national champions are proof. How often does the best or one of the two or three best during the regular season win the title? Not very often IMO.
UConn last 3 titles, none of those teams were dominant at all, just got hot during conference tourney week and rode the wave

Reactions: Blueheart32
U conn was the hottest team to start last year off ,then they went into a slump, and then picked it back up when the time counted.
Kemba walker team was the same way. I know our 2014 went on a miracle run but that UConn team was not good. Napier was hitting 25-30 3s all tournament and they weren’t that good of a team

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT