ADVERTISEMENT

What's your favorite UK team, that didn't win the NCAA championship?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be the 1974-75 team.... It was UK's 1st Final Four team after I became a fan. They were a big, deep, physical team that wouldn't take any crap from no one. They had great shooters Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Conner, Jack Givens. Strong, physical players, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Bob Guyette, James Lee, guards Conner, Mike Flynn, & Larry Johnson that wouldn't back down from a grizzly bear. Then add in the fact that they ruined Indiana's undefeated season in the Elite 8 that year. I remember after that game that a sportswriter from Chicago called that UK team the slaughterhouse 5.... Loved that team.

Mine would be the 1974-75 team.... It was UK's 1st Final Four team after I became a fan. They were a big, deep, physical team that wouldn't take any crap from no one. They had great shooters Kevin Grevey, Jimmy Dan Conner, Jack Givens. Strong, physical players, Rick Robey, Mike Phillips, Bob Guyette, James Lee, guards Conner, Mike Flynn, & Larry Johnson that wouldn't back down from a grizzly bear. Then add in the fact that they ruined Indiana's undefeated season in the Elite 8 that year. I remember after that game that a sportswriter from Chicago called that UK team the slaughterhouse 5.... Loved that team.
The '84 team comes to mind.

I thought '93 should have won it all.

And of course '92 as they were the first team eligible to go to the dance after the dark years.

Reactions: mrdavisanddd
1. 1992
2. 2010
3. 1993
4. 1997
5. 2015
6. 2011

I mean 2015 a chance to go 40-0 with that squad. Look on Twitter when KY clips shows highlights of that team I am happy and then I want to die in the gutter somewhere.

2003, that team was a blast. They won 27 in a row and murdered people. The way they played together was special. Really sucks they ran into a generational type player on his best day and on the same day, the one guy who could guard him was hurt. That team was clearly the best in the country.
Same.

I tend to lean towards the 74-75 team or the 84 team.

Reactions: KyJones64
2015 is number one for me. If we go 40-0 it's something that will never be done and we are put in a completely different category. Also, less criticism on Cal because he got us an undefeated season.

2003 would be 2nd for me. One of my favorite all time UK teams.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
No votes for 85-86, so I'll give them one. Sutton's only great team here was undersized, but tough as hell, and was led by one of our greatest ever, Kenny Walker. They could have easily won it all.

Reactions: mrdavisanddd

Reactions: sefleming and TeoJ
Cousins, Wall, Bledsoe, Patterson, Miller, liggins, Harrellson. All the hype and it was such a fun year, a real turn the corner season with Cal arriving. They were definitely the best team that year.

yep
they are one of my all-time favorite UK teams

This was the best passing team in UK history. It could run the fast break to perfection and go the entire length of the court with only a dribble or two. Larry Conley was the heart of that team.
Ditto this. They were not very big (Runts) but this team was a joy to watch. Conley's unselfishness became infectious. My list in Chronological order:

Last edited:
Reactions: sefleming

The year of the infamous Wooden "retirement" statement prior to the title game. No way the refs were going to let him go out without winning it. :mad:

Depends what day you ask me. Today I'd say 2015, tomorrow I'll probably say 2010.
There are days where I would say 2003, 1997, 84, 2014. There are so many heartbreaking seasons where we should have won it all, can't narrow it down to 1.

2003, so much fun to watch and such a great team without any true superstar.

1986 because my favorite Cat (Kenny Walker) was a senior that year. 1984 because that team was loaded and was the best in the country that simply suffered from a terrible shooting performance in the second half against Georgetown. 2015 because it would've gone down in history due to being undefeated and because it was clearly the best team in the country.

1997 because they beat the Gophers who I can't stand in any sport.

1992 because of how fun they were to watch.

2014 for the magical run in NCAA's

2017 for Fox/Monk--loved watching those two.

Montgomery University or could be Lee's Junior College.

No contest for me...Runts

Reactions: sefleming
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT