ADVERTISEMENT

Whats the story on Zeke Pike?

He did make the Elite 11. That guarantees that he is a great QB prospect and isn't more aptly described as an athlete (and a great one at that). There have been some great QBs selected for that honor and some pretty mediocre (and some bad) ones. Maybe Pike is the former, but I just can't watch him throw a ball and think that he has star SEC QB written all over him.

trungula: I'm planing a Australia/New Zealand trip. Tell me about Perth.

Have a couple friends in north Ky. greater Cincy area that watch lots of high school football. Both agree that Zeke Pike is a great athlete and is good enough to play other positions. Both think UK got the best qb. from that area!

Perth is a large, but isolated city on the west coast. There are lots of places for great ethnic food because of the diverse population, and a decent night life. If you enjoy surfing or sailing, then you would really love it. Some people enjoy traveling to Rottnest Island, but it is just okay. The east coast has the most popular tourist attractions, though. Depending on how much time you have, Perth would be a good place to stay if you have a lot of time, or are traveling across the Outback (not recommended), otherwise you will waste more time traveling to the other places that tourists really want to go.

Where's a good place to have lunch on a rainy tuesday afternoon?

Originally posted by trungula:

Originally posted by vhcat70:

Originally posted by trungula:

Originally posted by CatsFanGG24:
^ You must not follow recruiting too much. ALl you wanna do is complain over stars and not getting them as opposed to be educated and know what you are talking about.

Zeke Pike has been underwhelming as a QB prospect at many camps. One particular camp, UK commit Patrick Towles was said to be the best QB from the state of KY by recruiting analyst, ahead of Pike. Pike is a helluva athelete by all accounts and by some teams did project as a stud DE. I believe AUburn wants him as QB though.

This is not about UK not getting Pike or how good Towles is. You do not have to "follow recruiting" to know that a very highly-touted player who is recruited by many teams as a QB is not going to switch to DE. A player like that will just transfer to a school where he will play QB. To suggest that he would switch to DE before the end of his career is asinine.
Asinine or not, so if he doesn't make it as a pro QB prospect at AU or elsewhere but is a stud DE/LB - which is absolutely true, I've seen him play - do you suggest he give up on the NFL to play QB in college somewhere?

That is a personal decision for him to make, not for people on the internet to speculate and suggest. He is being told that he is wanted as a QB by elite programs with elite coaching staffs who put people in the NFL. Being a QB is obviously what he wants to do, so why accept anything else? If he has the drive to prove his doubters wrong, then he will be very successful regardless of what happens at a camp before he has started his senior season.
Sounds like we struck a family nerve.

Trungula doesn't know any more of the details of UK's recruits offers than anyone else on here, and because the coaches aren't allowed to talk about them that is usually very little, although Terry might be his brother. I am not sure how the news got out but there was a story that Joker was VERY unhappy with Brinson about Terry, (firing someone is about as unhappy as you can get, he coudn't shoot him) and the fadt is he not only was much shorter than advertised he was also much lighter than advertised. You probably also know nothing about Cannon's qualifying problems and what type of offer he actually had, it may have been conditional and he may have pulled out qualifying at the last minute or ECU might have easier entrance requirements.

And my point about Pike is that before he becomes a pro prospect he probably has to start at Auburn. Auburn's last four classes have had TWO QBs commit that are rated higher than Pike and one the is even that will always have a years experience more that Pike. What makes you so sure he will even beat out these candidates, plus possibly another five star later that will want to follow Newton?

Oh, I forgot, you know those QBs also, and Pike is better than them, Rivals doesn't know what they are doing.

An interesting tidbit, in their head to head Towles looked great, about 400 yards passing in 2.5 quarters, Pike was 13 for 23 for 109 yards and two interceptions.

But but but----

Originally posted by jauk11:
Trungula doesn't know any more of the details of UK's recruits offers than anyone else on here, and because the coaches aren't allowed to talk about them that is usually very little, although Terry might be his brother. I am not sure how the news got out but there was a story that Joker was VERY unhappy with Brinson about Terry, (firing someone is about as unhappy as you can get, he coudn't shoot him) and the fadt is he not only was much shorter than advertised he was also much lighter than advertised. You probably also know nothing about Cannon's qualifying problems and what type of offer he actually had, it may have been conditional and he may have pulled out qualifying at the last minute or ECU might have easier entrance requirements.

And my point about Pike is that before he becomes a pro prospect he probably has to start at Auburn. Auburn's last four classes have had TWO QBs commit that are rated higher than Pike and one the is even that will always have a years experience more that Pike. What makes you so sure he will even beat out these candidates, plus possibly another five star later that will want to follow Newton?

Oh, I forgot, you know those QBs also, and Pike is better than them, Rivals doesn't know what they are doing.

An interesting tidbit, in their head to head Towles looked great, about 400 yards passing in 2.5 quarters, Pike was 13 for 23 for 109 yards and two interceptions.

But but but----

This thread died over a month ago, and it took you two clowns that long to add this to it?
clown.gif

Terry...the coaches are fallible. Cannon...entrance requirements are a BS excuse because any school will admit an athlete if they choose to do so as long as they pass the NCAA clearinghouse. Vanderbilt's 4-star RB recruit has something like an 18 ACT score, and I guarantee you that Vandy's standards are much higher than that...I doubt that they will turn that one away if he clears the NCAA.

I don't know that Pike will beat out the other QBs at Auburn. But, I have a pretty good idea that somebody in his situation would transfer before changing positions.

If you put Pike on Highlands and Towles on Dixie, then maybe their fortunes would be reversed? When they went head to head in the Elite 11, who advanced there?...

"Auburn's last four classes have had TWO QBs commit that are rated higher than Pike and one the is even that will always have a years experience more that Pike." - You are counting a QB who is no longer at Auburn as one of those two.
rolleyes.gif
I doubt that he affects Pike. The other one is Frazier, who finished being ranked as the #89 overall player in 2011. When this thread was started, Pike was ranked in the Top 50. He is at #104 now, and the rankings are not finalized for this year, so he could go back up. Besides, you cannot compare overall rankings from year to year because one class could be more talented than another which makes the talent not comparable because they are not on the same scale.

LOL. Did I say anything that isn't true? Nice spin on it, but Newton was included to show that they have had a four star OR BETTER QB commit the past four years, whats to say they won't have another Newton next year?

Originally posted by jauk11:
LOL. Did I say anything that isn't true? Nice spin on it, but Newton was included to show that they have had a four star OR BETTER QB commit the past four years, whats to say they won't have another Newton next year?

Did you say anything that had a point? UK has had two four star QBs in Mossakowski and Newton commit over the same time, so who is to say that we won't get one next year and knock Towles down the depth chart? Your comment is pointless.

Short answer...UK liked Towles better than Pike. Auburn had Pike as a priority. Pike liked what he heard and saw at AU. No one knows how it turns out from there.

Originally posted by maysvilleky:
UK liked Towles better than Pike.

I like Towles a lot, but this is not true. UK withheld an offer to Towles for months while they had one extended to Pike very early. After waiting for Pike to make a clearer indication that he would not be committing to UK, the staff shifted their focus to Towles.

Several of talked with Senator Bunning last year. Towles had an offer back then. Where do you get your information? Pike never serioisly considered UK and I doubt UK would risk losing Towles over a "long shot" recruit. BTW, I have seen both a half doxen times. Both are excellent athletes. Pike has a better supporting cast, but imho, Towles has a much better head.

Originally posted by Patveep:
Several of talked with Senator Bunning last year. Towles had an offer back then. Where do you get your information? Pike never serioisly considered UK and I doubt UK would risk losing Towles over a "long shot" recruit. BTW, I have seen both a half doxen times. Both are excellent athletes. Pike has a better supporting cast, but imho, Towles has a much better head.

Former Senator Bunning was a politician, so you know that he has been known to lie. Also, it is laughable to say that Pike has a better supporting cast. You cannot seriously expect anybody who knows anything about high school football to believe that Dixie has a better team than Highlands.

At what point last year did this occur? I will quote you from another thread on December 6, 2010:
Towles ran for 5 touchdowns while leading Highlands to his second state championship and Highlands 20th. He will probably not get an offer from UK. It's such a bother to drive up here. Link

If you knew that he had an offer last year, then why would you say that in December of last year? Also, why wouldn't you break the news that he had an offer shortly thereafter when it was your opinion that he would not receive an offer?

Going by a dated article from Rivals, this website, who would probably be one of the first to break the news of an offer, did not acknowledge an offer from UK to Towles until March 2011. Here is the link.

Pike had an offer from UK last fall, so it is clear to see who UK prioritized early in their recruiting efforts, and as the picture became more clear, common sense would tell us that UK decided to move on to their next option with an offer several months following an offer to a different in-state QB from the exact same geographical region of Kentucky.

To those stating Pike is a great QB

in 4 games
218 passing yards a game
65% completion percentage
5Td
4Int

I don't have rushing stats for PIke, but I'd argue he has a respectable amount of rushing stats.
Dixie Heights runs a spread option passing offense...much like West VIrginia ran under Rich Rodriguuez

We can argue Dixie Heights doesn't have great talent around them, I'm not sure how much less it is than other NKy competition (Highlands would be an exceptioin) but point is this kid simply does not put up any eye catching stats nor dominates HS level in Ky. QBs like Tim Couch, Will Fidler, Chris BUrke, etc.. all lacked great HS teams, but these guys simply chewed up Ky HS competition. I just don't get the hype around Pike...he is the least dominating QB to sign a BCS scholarship in my lifetime.

As far as Pike may play other spots...he is a big kid and can move, but Towles plays faster on the field. I don't see a DE or LB in PIke at the level of defense Auburn plays. I could see him at TE, but again he isn't going to dominate at TE as he simply isn't that dominating of an athlete ot spots other than QB.

The most impressive stat I have seen so far in this argument is Towles winning the shuttle time at 6' 5" and 235# over about 20 other elite 11 candidates, all of them smaller, one of which was a 5'10" finalist that was supposed to be very athletic.

Trungula...I meant to say that Towles had a better supporting cast. Easy call since Pike had no supporting cast. Would not suggest that you call Bunning a liar to his face lest he drop kick you over the goal post.

Trungula...I meant to say that Towles had a better supporting cast. Easy call since Pike had no supporting cast. Would not suggest that you call Bunning a liar to his face lest he drop kick you over the goal post.

What if I called him a "senile f#%&face" and a "crook" to his face? What would he do to me then? Pay himself more money from his charity? I will be waiting in two-three months for your response...

"U.S. Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky., set up a charitable foundation in 1996, the year he entered baseball's Hall of Fame. Every year since, he has been the fund's biggest recipient. The non-profit Jim Bunning Foundation, which collects the money the former pitcher gets from autographing baseball memorabilia, has taken in more than $504,000, Senate and tax records show. Of that, Bunning has earned $180,000 in salary for working a reported hour a week. By contrast, the foundation has given $136,435, or about one-fourth of its income, to churches and charitable groups around Northern Kentucky. The largest sums went to local Catholic churches Bunning has attended. Records show that Bunning is the foundation's sole employee and the only person to draw a paycheck from it. The foundation is overseen by a three-member board: the senator's wife, Mary Bunning; an old friend, Cincinnati tire dealer Bob Sumerel, whose family has given about $25,000 to Bunning's campaigns; and Robinson, a former congressional aide to Bunning whose lobbying clients in recent years have received budget earmarks from the senator."

Jim Bunning - Crook

I guess we can revisit this debate in a few years, but like K said, if a kid that is supposedly as dominate as Pike is then he should demolish KY high school competition. Even kids that have no chance of playing D-1 can put up huge stats.

Watching Pike throw a ball is like watch Gilchrist shoot a 3. It isn't awful you just don't want him doing it a lot. Unfortunately for Pike he has to throw a lot (at least in comparison to the 3 pointer comparison) to be a successful QB in Malzahn's system.

Towles is a better pure QB from pretty much everything I have seen. And the stats bare that out
This post was edited on 12/5 10:44 PM by TransyCat09

Any updates on how he's doing? At Auburn?
This post was edited on 1/9 8:40 PM by vhcat70

Pretty short career at Auburn, nothing in the record books.

Guess UL is telling Bolin that Pike won't get a shot at QB----right.

Pike to play DE at Louisville, if he lasts until next season. It has been confirmed that he was not the Dixie Heights student that the teacher/Bengals cheerleader was having sex with.

Who cares.

He was highly recruited and went to Auburn.

His senior year he was suspended twice for fighting; thus I wondered who wants a leader who cannot even stay on the field. who needs this loose canon.

I guess no one.

Best of luck to the kid though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT