ADVERTISEMENT

What will we be ranked?

As of February 13th we are rated 13th overall in that time based on Bartovik.

17th offense 49th defense.

I think the offense was down simply based on the Auburn, Miss and LSU games. The defense also helped by........those same games lol

That's pretty solid, when I imagine those numbers were a good deal lower in the previous 15 games.

We're still a 5 seed on Bracket Matrix as of yesterday (albeit top 5 seed). Think we should be squarely in the 4 seed category right now with chance to move up to 3 seed if we finish strong.

Ok, fine. We still dropped 100 on Arkansas who is 116th in KP and got a Quad1 win earlier in the week, beating KP 30th MissSt on the road.

I don't see how that can be used against us, regardless if we played good defense or not.

Not necessarily used against us but rather didn't help us. We kind of just stayed the same. We went up in offense and went down by a similar margin in defense. It just made us more imbalanced than we already were lol.

That's pretty solid, when I imagine those numbers were a good deal lower in the previous 15 games.

Yeah I choose February 13th but you can actually go on and filter it any date you want (that site is underrated). I figured February 13th was the Ole Miss game and really the turning point where we had a few good defensive games in a row. That obviously didn't not stay consist but we also had some of our best offensive games during that stretch as well.

We have definitely played better lately.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Yeah I choose February 13th but you can actually go on and filter it any date you want (that site is underrated). I figured February 13th was the Ole Miss game and really the turning point where we had a few good defensive games in a row. That obviously didn't not stay consist but we also had some of our best offensive games during that stretch as well.

We have definitely played better lately.

And from November 1st to Feb 12th we are:

4th and 138th. Lol.

That also meant we were 30th in that time frame. Where as we've been the 13th ranked team since Feb 13th.

I think the bottom line with all of this is
1) teams are closer around this seed line than most would like to admit. If someone wants to make UK a 4 seed or a 5 seed or someone wants to make KU a 4 seed or a 5 seed, I don't really know what one can say. Similar teams this season and they did beat us H2H on a neutral court which has to IMO be factored in especially if we are close to them in seeding.
2) Kansas will at least while the Big 12 is still the Big 12 will always get a bump. It's not a conspiracy. People don't love Kansas. Kansas just gets more opportunities than we do for Q1 wins and such their "resume" looks better. This is the ONLY reason that KU was even considered to be on the 2 seed line. They are a 4/5 type team with a resume that "looks" better.

We will likely be 17/18 going into the SEC tournament. I still think we'll be a 4 seed in the NCAA, but it could be a 5 if we take a bad loss in the SEC.

Currently sitting at 96th best team in Def Efficiency on Ken Pom. 3rd worst of the Top 40 teams.

On another note, Houston is very good. People thought in the Big 12 they would struggle. 13-3 and probably going to win that conference by a clear two games.

Ditto Alabama who was sitting at 6-5 through 11 games and people thought they were nowhere near good this season. Probably finish with the 2 seed in the conference in a tough SEC.

Some poo poo computer metrics but this was seen.

We will likely be 17/18 going into the SEC tournament. I still think we'll be a 4 seed in the NCAA, but it could be a 5 if we take a bad loss in the SEC.

Yeah I think most realistically would be 4 or 5 seed. I think in a perfect world, maybe a 3.

3 would be huge. Going out West to Spokane for two games really isn't ideal.

Would you rather be the best 4 seed and closer home or the worst 3 seed out west?

It all depends. A lot of teams ahead of us will be taking some losses. Duke still has UNC, Kansas still has Houston. Almost every team ahead of us still has at least one tough game remaining.

Problem is, we need to be Tennessee. Beat Tenneessee and don't lose the opening game of the SECT and we're a 3-seed.

Would you rather be the best 4 seed and closer home or the worst 3 seed out west?

The age old question lol.

Tho even tho the first two rounds would be closer to home, the regional could be worse lol. We could still end up out West lol.

Being last on the line essentially last pick in terms of regions lol. Being first on a line we'd go to whatever was available close to us within the bracket constraints.

Reactions: DraftCat
It all depends. A lot of teams ahead of us will be taking some losses. Duke still has UNC, Kansas still has Houston. Almost every team ahead of us still has at least one tough game remaining.

Problem is, we need to be Tennessee. Beat Tenneessee and don't lose the opening game of the SECT and we're a 3-seed.
Agreed. After the 3 straight home losses, I think we’d all agree having a shot at a 3 is a pleasant surprise. Guessing Tennessee is going to be a 5 point favorite but I think we knock them off and get another top 10 scalp.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
There's still one loss coming between the following teams:

Duke/UNC
Houston/Kansas
IowaSt/BYU
Uconn/Marq
Bama/Florida
Tenn/S.Car

Agreed. After the 3 straight home losses, I think we’d all agree having a shot at a 3 is a pleasant surprise. Guessing Tennessee is going to be a 5 point favorite but I think we knock them off and get another top 10 scalp.

I think we can beat Tenn. I don't like teams that are too heavily reliant on one guy. Knect scores almost more than any two other Tenn guys combined. If he has an off night, or we're able to limit him, Tennessee becomes very beatable.

4s and 5s are absolute disasters. The sub ideal opening two game locations, the having to face the 1 sooner. Additional for the 5 seed you are always facing a 12 seed that is hot coming into the tournament (or else they would not have made it). IMO biggest reason why we see 5/12 upsets.

Think ultimate goal here needs to be get on that 3 line.
I don't really see much a difference between 2s and 3s and I'd rather avoid the 1s as long as possible.

Yep agreed. Avoid the 1s for an extra game. Take on a 6/11 matchup which will be a lesser power team, or a solid mid major, either of which could win that 6/11 matchup. And then a 7/2 seed is a much easier pill to swallow.

Reactions: The_Answer1313
We're gonna have a really hard time getting a 3 seed IMO. Really hope we can, though.

In my opinion we have to either win next two in regular season + make it to Saturday in SECT or split regular season and make it to Sunday of SECT to get a 3.

Reactions: know1
Six losses

Yeah that's what I mean.. Each of those groupings has at LEAST one loss coming. 6 of those teams are going to drop in the polls and metrics, most likely. Of course, a team like Houston losing doesn't really help us.

Last edited:
IF IF IF we simply didn't loser UNCW and blow Florida game only we are likely the last one seed and in control of fate for winning SEC. Depressing...

Probably not. I think even with those being wins we'd be a bit further behind still. Probably a 2/3 instead of a 4/5 tho

Probably not. I think even with those being wins we'd be a bit further behind still. Probably a 2/3 instead of a 4/5 tho

I dunno man. That is taking off two of our worse losses. Both are absolute killers to metrics I would think. At that point we are 23-6/13-4. Total control over SEC fate.

Also, how the hell are we still the first 5-seed in Brackets, many of which were updated yesterday according to the Bracket Matrix?
Joey Brackets has UK as the first 4 seed ... but some still show 5 because of the recent loss to LSU, which is awful. Take away that 2H performance (blew a 16-pt lead) and UK is one of the hottest teams in the country in the eyes of those making bracket projections, so they'd be seeded 3 in most.

IF IF IF we simply didn't loser UNCW and blow Florida game only we are likely the last one seed and in control of fate for winning SEC. Depressing...

And in addition, if we won the LSU game, beat Gonzaga and didn’t stumble at aTm we’d be sitting so pretty right now.

Kentucky had none of their 7 footers available for that game. Reed and Rob both only played 16 minutes. Burks played 10. Reeves 3-17 from 3; DJ 1-12 from the field.

We roll KU in a rematch
I agree but we didn’t when we met. Can’t rank on hypotheticals.

And in addition, if we won the LSU game, beat Gonzaga and didn’t stumble at aTm we’d be sitting so pretty right now.

We do have 5 losses by a total of 18 points. 2 of them in OT. 3 of those losses by a total of 8 points.

It is easy to see us being more like 26-3 or 25-4.

Definitely frustrating. But, the bright side is we have been winning some of those same types of games lately. Maybe they've learned a thing or two from those losses.

Reactions: MegaBlue05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT