ADVERTISEMENT

What was the one thing about Calipari that peeved you the most?

One more thing. I have memorabilia from 1978, Rupp, Hall, Pitino, 1996,97 and 98. I have Cawood signature on one of my hats as well. I have pics of my day at Cawood's house and miniature ponies he showed my wife and I on a day when they had family there from a funeral that popped up. Was at his house setting up a Ducane gas grill way back when. I do have a hat from 2012 championship No1 Greater hat. Not signed or anything. I do not own any other piece of anything from Cal years that I can recall. Might be something in a box somewhere but do not remember.
Him saying again

Playing players based off high school rankings even half way thru the season. Not being able to adjust in game. When we got a foul call or something and if the ref that he thought should have made the call didn’t he would yell at him. Talking down to the fans. The auburn postgame presser this year was disgusting the way he acted.

Was it

1. - His inability to defend the other team's inbounds play under their basket, which resulted in the other team getting wide open dunks & layups. Sometimes 2 & 3 times a game.
2.- His refusal to play zone even when the other team was taking the ball to the basket time & time again for shots within 5 feet of the basket.
3. - Or was it that we would get a lead late in the game & he would start trying like he did against Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four & he would try to run the shot clock down, which resulted in his team having to take a forced shot as the shot clock was about to run out
4. - Or was it him pushing players out of here to the NBA when they were not NBA ready.
5. - Or was it something else?
And he slowed it down in the 2012 title game as well.....almost cost UK the title.

Was it

1. - His inability to defend the other team's inbounds play under their basket, which resulted in the other team getting wide open dunks & layups. Sometimes 2 & 3 times a game.
2.- His refusal to play zone even when the other team was taking the ball to the basket time & time again for shots within 5 feet of the basket.
3. - Or was it that we would get a lead late in the game & he would start trying like he did against Wisconsin in the 2015 Final Four & he would try to run the shot clock down, which resulted in his team having to take a forced shot as the shot clock was about to run out
4. - Or was it him pushing players out of here to the NBA when they were not NBA ready.
Beside his lack of coaching especially in big games, it was him pushing players not ready to the league and his injury status and updates.

1. Haven't seen him.
2. His ability to actually coach. Looked lost and visibly shaken in most tight games.
3. Not enough experienced players aka 'grown men' on the roster.
4. His attitude towards the fans and media.
5. Not playing highly regarded recruits to protect their draft position.

Was it

His overall lack of coaching ability, I really believe he was roll the ball out Cal, and relied on the players talent to win the game, not his coaching ability.

The fact that he left and we keep starting stupid threads rehashing the same shit. Thst really is probably my biggest pet peeve of them all. Thanks for starting thread # 235,654 on the subject. We haven’t talked about it enough.

For me it was three things:

1. Refusal to switch defenses even if an opponent (Gonzaga) successfully runs the same play 17 times in a row.

2. Mysterious injuries that took forever to heal and the coach would never give a straight answer.

3. Talking down to media and fans as if he were bigger than this program. No one individual is bigger than the program.

Prioritizing players draft stock over winning games at Kentucky. Will go with that for starters since there wasn't just one thing and could write a novel here about the things he did to piss us all off.
Agree, but blame the administration for allowing him to do so. After the draft night comment, I would had him in my office early the next morning and set him straight. He balks, he is fired. Same for the coaching for the names on the back and not the front. Again in my office - Hi John, you’re fired!

My overwhelming least favorite Cal thing was his lack of preparation/respect for what the other team was doing. It was always worry about us and what we are doing. That's not how coaching works.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
Was it

The putting fans down and giving those little remarks that insinuate we are all stupid and don’t know anything about Basketball. Hate that stuff and especially when talking about Kentucky fans. Most of us know Basketball inside and out! Offensively, Defensively, and All that goes with it. Most of us had basketball in the cribs with us and have seen every game since we’ve been able to watch tv. A big lot of us played the game at minimum in High School and some of us had an opportunity to play at the next level. But even the kids who grew up that never picked a ball up they still dreamed of playing at Kentucky and love the game. Everyone can’t go into coaching but a hell of a lot more people than cow can coach a game and run a practice. Not a lot mind you at a high level but that doesn’t mean they don’t know the game. lol. Anyway, I could’ve lived with the bad losses here and there if he would’ve been humble about it. He just never really understood what it meant to the fans. Still, I appreciate what he did here and you don’t have to love Kentucky or be a lifelong fan of Kentucky to coach here, but you sure can’t continue to put down the greatest most knowledgeable (about basketball) fans in the world.

Last edited:
Was it

When he played CJ Fredrick over Antonio Reeves at times.

He never zoned, lost a lot of games due to his philosophy of individual over team play.

“On top of that, Calipari says playing zone doesn't prepare his players to defend at the next level. "Second thing: when they leave us, how much zone are they going to play?" Calipari wondered aloud. "So, am I just trying to win college games? If I don't have to, why would you play zone?” Oct 25, 2017
https://247sports.com › article › ke...

Calipari explains why he doesn't play zone defense - 247 Sports

Reactions: KYExtemper
Not doing what he was hired to do…. Hang banners!

The scam he had was pretending the players came first. This brought in top talent that would be a guarantee NBA player then take credit for getting them to the league. Then he would use his abysmal performance as player first school. He just used it as a crutch to scam everyone.

Not starting two lottery picks and always getting behind eight or so points before playing them. Also not playing the three R’s together until they dropped when analytics clearly showed that was our best chance of winning by far . IOWs playing his NBA favorites instead of playing to win .

Was it

The kneeling during the National Anthem did it for me! I'm a 27 year army vet who served in VietNam in 68-69. I had nothing but contempt for him after that incident!

5. The way most of this fanbase has been afflicted with CDS that they’re willing to thumb their nose at our history, completely make things up and act like petulant children even when the topic is about our current coach or players.

But a close 2nd is that he didn’t pivot his style when the portal became more important than freshman. That’s the downfall. That’s the reason for the early exits recently.

But the villain most of you have turned him into is ridiculous and undeserved. I can’t find one disparaging thing he’s said since leaving. Just takes five seconds of perusing any thread created here over the last three years and you’ll find all kinds of non basketball related insults.

A lot of you need to sign off the interwebs and go find why you’re so disappointed in life that you: are on here an insane amount of time per day, use insults of cal to feel better about yourself and rely on college kids to give your existence meaning.

Now: ATTACK.
You are acting as a condescending know it all just like him. You don’t know people’s reasons. You only know yours. You act as you know what’s best for everyone else. You don’t. Cal acted the same. Maybe it’s why you’re defending him.
This wasn’t an Attack as you said. It’s an independent evaluation. You voiced your displeasure in what he did in the first paragraph, then told everyone why their displeasure was wrong in the second. Again. Calipari part 2.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: cats2010 and Ugoff
Not changing defenses and stall ball. Had he played an occasional zone against Uconn then UK would have #9. Had he not taken the air outta the ball against Wisconsin we'd have #10.

I agree with one of the posters when he/she said to just stop about Calipari. The op is right, he's gone and everything is looking up since he left.

Among everything else that has been said, the inability to finish a thought or sentence in a press conference or interview.

Not changing defenses and stall ball. Had he played an occasional zone against Uconn then UK would have #9. Had he not taken the air outta the ball against Wisconsin we'd have #10.
The fact that he wouldn't let Booker or Ulis bring the ball up after 3 straight shot clock violations from the Harrison twins while being up 5 with 5:34 to go still disappoints me today.

5. The way most of this fanbase has been afflicted with CDS that they’re willing to thumb their nose at our history, completely make things up and act like petulant children even when the topic is about our current coach or players.

But a close 2nd is that he didn’t pivot his style when the portal became more important than freshman. That’s the downfall. That’s the reason for the early exits recently.

But the villain most of you have turned him into is ridiculous and undeserved. I can’t find one disparaging thing he’s said since leaving. Just takes five seconds of perusing any thread created here over the last three years and you’ll find all kinds of non basketball related insults.

A lot of you need to sign off the interwebs and go find why you’re so disappointed in life that you: are on here an insane amount of time per day, use insults of cal to feel better about yourself and rely on college kids to give your existence meaning.

Now: ATTACK.

• Haha
Reactions: catben
It was all about HIM and getting guys to the league. he didn't give a shit about UK tradition or the fans.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT