ADVERTISEMENT

What style of play would you expect with Drew?

Sep 2, 2010
I don’t usually have time to watch non Kentucky games so I’m ignorant on this topic. I watched some of the Duke Baylor game and Baylors offense seemed pretty limited. Not a lot of passing or 3 point attempts. More brute force than skill. The stats may prove me wrong but that was my impression.

So what would you expect taking into account he may be able to get different kinds of recruits here?

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Did he lose to an accountant with a receding hairline?
You mean the only player on Oakland that could actually beat you. Not the post power forward that could get 30 and it still not kill you. I wonder why we didn’t plan for that guy? Seems to me that should have been public enemy number one.

Reactions: d2atTech
He won the 21 title playing an extreme “small ball” style. Only one starter taller than 6’5” and playing four guard lineups throughout their games (and often playing the 6’5” guy at the center spot that season).

But that’s not something he’s wedded to. He did it that year only because they just happened to have a fantastic collection of guards. He plays bigger lineups in other years. He knows how to adapt his lineups to his roster strengths.

KenPom AdjT

2021 - 213th Finished 2nd in KPom ranking
2022 - 163rd Finished 4th in KPom ranking
2023 - 215th Finished 16th in KPom ranking
2024 - 282nd Finished 15th in KPom ranking

My sense is he will adapt to his personnel. He doesn’t have a model or style that is set in stone. At times I think his teams have played quite a bit of matchup zone. That sure would be different.
Zone? Does this mean we will have to relearn how to watch basketball?

Reactions: WeWant9
Defensively, he mixes it up. He will play m2m (no middle) but also will play a matchup zone and a 1-3-1.
As a change to Cal, he does play what makes the most sense against the type of team they are playing. Typically plays a very physical defense.

In the last 4 years, Baylor has finished top 10 in Kenpom offense. Not a super fast tempo team - outside of top 100 the last 10 years but they have been a solid shooting team (top five in three-point shooting percentage in two of the last four seasons).

So the efficiency has been very good. He tends to adjust to the the players he has (seen run a continuity motion offense).

Recruiting has been good. He has shown he can land some big recruits and that’s coming from Baylor. I think he would recruit really well at UK and he’s had some success with portal.

He is certainly not the “sexy” pick like Hurley or Donovan but I really think he can be successful at UK.

Usually runs a 4 out offense. 80ppg last season. This year they shot 22 3pt fg per game. They play physical. Attack the rim too. Averaged the most free throws in the Big 12. Balanced scoring with 5 guys in double figures. Started 2 Sr, 1 so, 2 freshmen. Leading scorer was a freshman. Not very deep. 6 guys with double figure minutes.

Defensively, he mixes it up. He will play m2m (no middle) but also will play a matchup zone and a 1-3-1.
As a change to Cal, he does play what makes the most sense against the type of team they are playing. Typically plays a very physical defense.

In the last 4 years, Baylor has finished top 10 in Kenpom offense. Not a super fast tempo team - outside of top 100 the last 10 years but they have been a solid shooting team (top five in three-point shooting percentage in two of the last four seasons).

So the efficiency has been very good. He tends to adjust to the the players he has (seen run a continuity motion offense).

Recruiting has been good. He has shown he can land some big recruits and that’s coming from Baylor. I think he would recruit really well at UK and he’s had some success with portal.

He is certainly not the “sexy” pick like Hurley or Donovan but I really think he can be successful at UK.
Issue at Baylor has always been quality depth. He recruits well but not in enough numbers at times.

I don’t usually have time to watch non Kentucky games so I’m ignorant on this topic. I watched some of the Duke Baylor game and Baylors offense seemed pretty limited. Not a lot of passing or 3 point attempts. More brute force than skill. The stats may prove me wrong but that was my impression.

So what would you expect taking into account he may be able to get different kinds of recruits here?
Similar to cal rock fights.

Sounds like more of the old Cal type games (minus last season with Welch).

EBZwVS.gif

Don't think the fans will be happy going back to playing like that again after getting a taste of a high scoring offense.

Sounds like more of the old Cal type games (minus last season with Welch).

EBZwVS.gif

Don't think the fans will be happy going back to playing like that again after getting a taste of a high scoring offense.
I'll gladly take it if it means guys playing for name on the front of the jersey and not one foot out the door.

What a bunch of losers on here smh. It really shows the collective IQ of this message board by the amount of negativity towards a guy that will be universally regarded as a home run hire in the basketball world.

Over the last 10 seasons Baylor has averaged 75 PPG which is good for an average of 97th in country. Now that might be a good indicator of style of play but we of all people know that scoring a bunch of points doesn't always lead to wins or titles.

Over the last 10 seasons Baylor has averaged 75 PPG which is good for an average of 97th in country. Now that might be a good indicator of style of play but we of all people know that scoring a bunch of points doesn't always lead to wins or titles.
Uconn just won a title game 75 to 60. Interesting.

Whatever style positions his current team the best against the opponent they are playing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT