ADVERTISEMENT

What stand's out

willievic

Senior
Aug 29, 2005
Louisville, KY.
After watching almost all the games, so far in the NCAAT, what stands out the most to me, is the teams that play as a team, are winning. I watched Mich. beat LSU, and the big difference I felt was the ball movement. When the ball went to the Mich. center, he didn't hold it. He immediately passed to the forward, who immediately passed around the horn, causing LSU to shift, then reversing the ball before LSU could get back to guard the man with the ball, who had a wide open 3. Mich had 22 assists, and LSU had 8. It's called team ball, not, give me the ball, and let me drive so I can show the NBA what I can do. I checked a lot of scores, and 90% of the time, the team with the most assists, was the winner. I also noticed the teams who recruited the so called One and Done, didn't fair to well, especially UK, Duke, Kansas, Ohio State and NC.

I hope we go back to recruiting players who want to be here, not players who are just required to be here, before going to the G League or NBA. Those are not the players most Kentuckians want at UK, I don't believe. I know I don't! The other thing I noticed, is the game has changed a lot. Defense use to be big, and it still is important, but scoring is more important. Mich. proved that, with the ball movement, and being able to hit the 3. Cal has lost good players because HE said their defense was not good enough. What was really the problem was not their defense, but Cal's system of allowing players to hold the ball, instead of passing it around the horn, or into the center and back out, without hesitation. Our players hold the ball, trying to figure out if they can drive. If they move the ball, the 3 ball or the opportunity to drive will be there. The game has changed, and if Cal doesn't change with it, then we will not be the team that ALL of us want. I have said before, and I think it was proven this Tournament. All players who play college ball, may not be good NBA players, and vice versa. Give me a player who cares about winning, is unselfish, and doesn't worry about showing his talent to the NBA, as some of our players did this year. You know the ones.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

The number of 3 star and less players that are having a direct impact on the tournament.
If Rutgers didn't blow it there would be ONLY 10+ seeds in that region left. If you take anything from this tourney then idk what to tell you. The team people have been begging for (Iowa) is home like we are.

I watched all of the Michigan LSU game and what stood out to me was both teams changed half court defenses. They both used a full court press and a 3 quarters press. Both used a zone press and man to man press. They both ran out of bounds plays and scored off of them. I also saw great ball movement on offense. I thought man we don't do any of this.

I watched all of the Michigan LSU game and what stood out to me was both teams changed half court defenses. They both used a full court press and a 3 quarters press. Both used a zone press and man to man press. They both ran out of bounds plays and scored off of them. I also saw great ball movement on offense. I thought man we don't do any of this.
Absolutely. As much as it pains me to say it, Howard did a great job coaching. The switching of defenses at least caused LSU to lose some offensive rhythm. It baffles the mind why any coach wouldn't show different looks in a close game. Basketball is a game of runs and anytime a coach has an opportunity to slow the opponent's momentum they should call a timeout or switch defenses for a possession or two.

Since Cal has been here, it seems most of the players he recruits are those who have spent their whole lives dreaming about playing in the NBA. I wish he would recruit more guys who spent their whole lives dreaming about playing for UK.

Absolutely. As much as it pains me to say it, Howard did a great job coaching. The switching of defenses at least caused LSU to lose some offensive rhythm. It baffles the mind why any coach wouldn't show different looks in a close game. Basketball is a game of runs and anytime a coach has an opportunity to slow the opponent's momentum they should call a timeout or switch defenses for a possession or two.
Absolutely.

Reactions: susan2361
After watching almost all the games, so far in the NCAAT, what stands out the most to me, is the teams that play as a team, are winning. I watched Mich. beat LSU, and the big difference I felt was the ball movement. When the ball went to the Mich. center, he didn't hold it. He immediately passed to the forward, who immediately passed around the horn, causing LSU to shift, then reversing the ball before LSU could get back to guard the man with the ball, who had a wide open 3. Mich had 22 assists, and LSU had 8. It's called team ball, not, give me the ball, and let me drive so I can show the NBA what I can do. I checked a lot of scores, and 90% of the time, the team with the most assists, was the winner. I also noticed the teams who recruited the so called One and Done, didn't fair to well, especially UK, Duke, Kansas, Ohio State and NC.

I hope we go back to recruiting players who want to be here, not players who are just required to be here, before going to the G League or NBA. Those are not the players most Kentuckians want at UK, I don't believe. I know I don't! The other thing I noticed, is the game has changed a lot. Defense use to be big, and it still is important, but scoring is more important. Mich. proved that, with the ball movement, and being able to hit the 3. Cal has lost good players because HE said their defense was not good enough. What was really the problem was not their defense, but Cal's system of allowing players to hold the ball, instead of passing it around the horn, or into the center and back out, without hesitation. Our players hold the ball, trying to figure out if they can drive. If they move the ball, the 3 ball or the opportunity to drive will be there. The game has changed, and if Cal doesn't change with it, then we will not be the team that ALL of us want. I have said before, and I think it was proven this Tournament. All players who play college ball, may not be good NBA players, and vice versa. Give me a player who cares about winning, is unselfish, and doesn't worry about showing his talent to the NBA, as some of our players did this year. You know the ones.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
What impressed me about watching all of the games is how much more mature physically and mentally the winning teams are than ours. You simply have to have seasoned upper class men to go with a few of the top one and dones . Doubt we would gave won in 2012 without Miller and AD as a once in a lifetime player both physically and unselfish .
also the number of teams only playing one big and opening up the middle to either drive or kick back out for a three which if you have the players who are quick and can hug threes.

How below average Cal is when it comes to coaching.
How screwed we are with his lack of offense in the modern game.
This is what keeps popping into my head. Everyone keeps saying we will be fine when we start getting these 3 to 4 year guys to stay.

Can Cal even coach these three and four year guys up? I mean, in two or three years he will still have the same offense correct?

Watching Michigan and Arkansas the last few days, it is ridiculous how these teams offenses create great open looks and layups.

At the end of the day its about the Jimmies and Joes and not the Xs and Os.

You will see in the FF.

At the end of the day its about the Jimmies and Joes and not the Xs and Os.

You will see in the FF.
Herro. I guess I just don't understand you. If that had been the case, then Cal would have won ever year. We have always had the Jimmies and Joes, and how much good has that done us. Obviously, you have not watched many of the NCAAT games. The ones with the Jimmies and Joes are setting this NCAAT out. Their called UK, Duke, and the ones who made it with the Jimmies and Joes, NC, Kansas and Ohio State are now joining them, as spectators. The teams who have kept their players are the ones who are left. The ones who want to go to the NBA after one year are spectators. WISE UP, the game has changed, and Cal refuses to change with it.
Please turn lose of Cal's balls, and pull for UK.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Penetrate and kick, crisp ball movement, backdoor cuts... that's what rules the day right now. If you notice, the teams that lose their lead at the end fall apart because they stop running their offense and go to one-on-one basketball the last 4 minutes. Some teams think running the clock means they can't run their offense.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Team Ball used to have our Wildcat logo next to it in the dictionary. That’s why David Robinson came to Rupp when we had no superstars and went home with 40 points and an L.

Man do we ever need to get back to that.

In the Michigan - LSU game Michigan continued to play as a team. LSU reverted to one on one hero ball taking contested shots down the stretch. That's why they lost. It was a great game to watch for 30+ minutes.

Shooting is still a premium. Wingspan, verticals, dash times and all that are great, but you need guys who can consistently put the round peg in the round hole.

Maybe Cal should call Mr obvious. Chick McGee could tell him that the goal is to put the ball through the hoop.

Cal could respond "huh, I never made the connection".

Reactions: Wally2000
Since Cal has been here, it seems most of the players he recruits are those who have spent their whole lives dreaming about playing in the NBA. I wish he would recruit more guys who spent their whole lives dreaming about playing for UK.
Unfortunately, I’m not sure how many of those there really are. I’d settle for guys who are willing to stay at UK and play hard for UK until they are truly ready to move on to the professional ranks.

No team looks more cohesive as a unit than USC, and much of the falls on the shoulders of their splendid point guard Eaddy. He's one of the better college guards I've seen play this year. Doesn't wow you with his athleticism, but runs that squad like clockwork and rarely hurts you. He's exactly the kind of game manager we lacked this year and he knows how to get the ball into the hands of their stars. Enfield lucked out with his as a grad transfer from Santa Clara. For all their talent, he's the lynchpin.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!
Excellent post!!!!! Thanks!!!

Reactions: kywildcat41086
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT