ADVERTISEMENT

What really happened to Cal?

For winners it is common…for snake oil salesman it’s called stealing
Not sure what you are trying to say here. The number of very wealthy, elite top performing coaches in their 60s that are at the top of their field is rare. They have enough money and become content. The Sabans of the world have a different motivator. Cal did not have that desire. He lost it nearly a decade ago. His priorities changed.

Reactions: law1127
I would also add:

Our recruiting/NBA pitch became it’s own downfall.

The guys we recruit come here because they want to get to the NBA ASAP. Most of them plan to leave after a year.

If they’re not good enough to go pro, we’ve got another talented 5 star coming in that plays their position. So guys transfer out.

And it’s become impossible to sustain a roster.

The slow descent began in 2015.

2015- The hurt of losing to Wiscy was erased the next morning by him being told he was going in the Naismith HOF. The guy who always operated on the fringes of the sport and wore the black hat had finally been giving his dinner jacket and embraced by the country club! It changed him, and he seemed satisfied. He never mentioned winning a title as publicly after 2012 but the chase for 40-0 he was vocal about. The loss kept him just short of that longed proclaimed goal of his, but then the acceptance he always longed for… changed the man. Haven’t heard him mention his 40-0 dream ever since.

2018- We started to see a more clandestine version of Cal. The entire Jarred Vanderbilt injury mystery hung like a cloud over the team much of the year. It was a massive distraction, and it’s also when Cal became the cover guy for players and not being forthright about status. This planted a poisonous seed that is slowly killing the program to this day. This was also when he lost to a terribly mediocre KSU team when an unexpected open path to a final four was literally dumped in his lap. This was the point I started to get really concerned. Threw away a golden opportunity that year.

2019- He won 30 games despite shameful opening game and last game of season performances. The Duke opener I was at… never been more disgusted as a fan my entire life. That loss was humiliating. The Auburn loss when they lost their best player the game before was just unacceptable. Another year UK should have been in a final 4 and gagged it away under stall ball Cal.

2020 - the year was marked with player defection, terribly embarrassing losses in non conference, Ashton’s money phone and a virus. The team had very likeable guys for the most part but was cut short… then Covid.

Covid killed much of what was left of the old Cal. He got sloppy, looked sloppy, and became only concerned about feelings. All the aforementioned problems became comically exacerbated even further. Whatever was left of the program under him coded in the 9-16 season. He was briefly resuscitated by Oscar but then the Sharpe saga and the St. Peter’s loss killed what was left of the old Cal.

End of story.

There is likely no comeback story either… just a man bleeding a base of its joy and a school of its money.
Great post.

Reactions: KYExtemper
He was good from 2009-2017 and then it went down hill. Did the game just finally catch up to him? What really happened?

I have always said, you do not take a horrible UMASS program and Memphis program to the FF by being a bad coach. I really do not think it's CCC; I think it's RTCC (Refuses to Coach Cal), which makes it that much more infuriating. His agenda is to get as many players to the NBA as possible; while I get that sentiment, his job is to win games at UK. He coaches like we're in the NBA. He got a lifetime contract, won a natty, and he just does not care.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
As Kurt Cobain said, "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Cal is living proof of this. He had a chance to bow out before it got this bad, but his ego wouldn't let him. He thought he still had one more run in him.

There's a reason why we still have fondness for Pitino even though he is a POS. He left on top, but Cal is destroying his legacy before our eyes. He knows it too. He's a lot of things, but he's not stupid. I'd wager heavily that he's been thinking of his exit plan for at least a year.
My my, hey hey …

Two things.

One, the Cal we thought we knew in his heyday at UK was not really one man. It was Rod Strickland running the “Point Guard U” angle, John Robic scouting and handling Xs and Os, World Wide Wes recruiting and yes, some authentic John Vincent Calipari too but probably nowhere near 50% of the total effect.

Two, in one of his first interviews after he won the title, Cal said, “I’m glad I’ve got that monkey off my back and I can just get back to coaching.” Some of us were very concerned upon hearing that and some of us claimed, and still claim, and will probably go to the grave claiming, that Cal was only saying that because recruits wanted to hear it and he still wants to win titles more than anyone. Okay. But back in the real world, to Cal, what Cal has turned in in the last twelve years since we’ve won a title and the last nine years since we’ve been to a Final Four IS success. Coaching names with stars and ending generational poverty—even ending it for kids that any school on Earth or the G League would have ended it for just as well—is literally all he wants to do and all he can be bothered to stick his neck out for. He told us plain as day twelve years ago. Some of us will never believe him.

I think the game has truly gotten so so so much more insane to deal with (which is why legends like Saban in football and Wright in basketball have bailed a little earlier than they otherwise might have). And Cal's time has passed...and there isn't anything embarrassing or wrong about that in and of itself...but to deny it and steal money and time from all of us the way he has - THAT is wrong.

Reactions: UK90
Got rid of the only people who understood the game deeply and surrounded himself with yes men that encourage his ego and do not help his lack of true game smarts.
This fan base has done more for boosting Cal’s ego than his staff so stop it! People treated him like he walks on water

Cal reached the pinnacle of his career and quite honestly became complacent. His focus changed to “changing lives” cause that was easier than winning at the highest level. He replaced people who would push/challenge him with people that dont challenge. It is the rare individual, in any profession, who wins at a high level, becomes highly compensated, has aged and still maintains the competitive fire.

When Cal started talking about so many off court things, it was obvious his fire had dimmed.
This is most of the answer along with the really high contract. He has no interest in putting any effort in coaching.

The game has changed over the past 10 years and there is a premium on fundamentals, running good sets, coaching to detail, preparing for opponents, etc.
1. At what point does a coach wait to make adjustments against the Pik N Roll when your team gets beat 5 straight times in a row and many more times during the game. The games against A&M, Florida, and Tennessee resulted in the same deficiencies and Cal hasn't made any adjustments? Why doesn't Cal have a 2nd defense to go to when your defense is reeling? It took Cal 3 or 4 games to finally go to a zone defense on inbounds plays because UK was giving up 3-4 layups a game.

2. The one area nobody has talked about is on the spacing when Sheppard tried to pass to Thiero at the end of the game. Did anyone notice where the other 4 players were at on the floor when Sheppard through the pass? They were all bunched up together in the paint and when Edwards put a back pick on Thiero's defender, there wasn't any space for that play to ever work based upon the spacing. The other 4 UK players should have been spread out and the back pick should have occurred at the elbow of the free throw line with no one in the paint.

Nothing is going to change until Cal is gone because you're not going to change his philosophy on coaching fundamentals and to detail. There is a good article years ago on Nick Saban admitting the no huddle spread offense changed the game and it passed him by. Rather than keep his outdated system, Saban went out and hired Lane Kiffin in 2014 to implement the new offense. Also, if you watch the Bill Walton documentary, Bill talks about the game against Houston in which UCLA came out flat and Houston was taking it to the Bruins. At some point during the game, Bill asked HC John Wooden to call timeout so that they can regroup. Wooden responded back to Bill - UCLA doesn't call timeouts, the other team calls timeouts. My belief is that Cal has this same mindset and that's why he doesn't make adjustments, doesn't have a 2nd or 3rd defense to go to, etc. and Cal's ego is too big to make the necessary changes.

Seems like the substitution patterns are preventing any kind of rhythm.

Plus not playing the right ppl and the wrong people taking 3’s.

The team doesn’t play with urgency on defense.
I saw 3 total defensive plays that they communicated and executed. That’s it!

AND it’s COACHING malpractice too only play reed 9 min first half and Rob 4 minx 2 Nd half.
Smfh

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Same thing that happened to Bobby Knight. The game changed and he refused to change or adapt.

Cal was a good coach. You don’t make the HOF without being a very good coach. That said, he wasn’t as good on the X’s & O’s as Knight. He was/is a better human than Knight. My comparison is simply that they were both insanely stubborn.

Seems like the substitution patterns are preventing any kind of rhythm.

Plus not playing the right ppl and the wrong people taking 3’s.

The team doesn’t play with urgency on defense.
I saw 3 total defensive plays that they communicated and executed. That’s it!

AND it’s COACHING malpractice too only play reed 9 min first half and Rob 4 minx 2 Nd half.
Smfh
The line ups just leave you shaking your head. It’s no wonder the offense was so atrocious in the first half the combinations were awful.

Top recruits realized they could go anywhere and still get drafted. So there was 10 other teams within striking distance of his talent.
We have arguably the best talent in the country and might be unranked next week. It’s simply game coaching.

Simple. 9-16 season shook Cal to core. He's been shook since with a deer in headlights look he tries to mask in interviews but comes out during games. His players during season become a reflection of that

As Kurt Cobain said, "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Cal is living proof of this. He had a chance to bow out before it got this bad, but his ego wouldn't let him. He thought he still had one more run in him.

There's a reason why we still have fondness for Pitino even though he is a POS. He left on top, but Cal is destroying his legacy before our eyes. He knows it too. He's a lot of things, but he's not stupid. I'd wager heavily that he's been thinking of his exit plan for at least a year.
Two things:

1) Kurt Cobain killed himself, maybe not the best person to look at for life lessons.

2) I strongly disagree, I truly think John Calipari is extremely stupid. Genuinely think he’s become mentally incompetent in his old age.

Excellent points have been shared, some of which I repeat.

1. NBA Early Entry has accelerated since he first arrived (plus, some of best talents bypass college altogether now). So talent gap has shrunk not only for UK but between all teams. Rare to have lottery-level upperclassmen or even sophomores on your squad (most especially at UK) ... guys with experience who have had time to learn and weight room reps. You aren't as likely to overwhelm the competition with superior talent. You need to a) build program/player continuity as much as you can; b) have a coach that's really good with technical aspects of game (i.e., Bill Self). Those are UK weaknesses.
2. Speaking of technical aspects, it's well known he's not a superior play caller/strategist. But he was able to build defenses with a lot of length/rim protection in early years and they communicated well. Game has much more spacing now and it's harder to just switch everything. Playing two bigs as much a challenge on defense as it is offense.
3. Agree with mention of too much NBA prep focus. Feels like it's a double-edged sword in a lot of ways and a reason why UK has retention issues.
4. UK has highly ranked big men recruits BUT, again, game has changed a lot in past 15 years. NBA went from valuing big-bodied posts (Demarcus Cousins) to lean rim runners. While not needed as much in NBA, having stronger bodies in college still plays.
5. Finally, think UK roster way too young overall. Eight of UK's 12 players are freshmen. Two sophomores (one who is a 19 year old reclass), two seniors. Talent, yes, but has to be a better mix of experience/stronger bodies. Concern for 2024-25 is roster shaping up to have that same type of mix.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Got rid of the only people who understood the game deeply and surrounded himself with yes men that encourage his ego and do not help his lack of true game smarts.
Eaxactly, he now believes he's the second coming of Rupp and doesn't need actual besketball guys to advise him, just buddies who will always agree with him. it's become obvious to everyone in the basketball universe that Cal is an absolutly horrid in game coach, terrible X and O" s coach, and just flat ass rufuses to play his best lineups the mojority of the minutes. It's insane how he's been allowed to hijack the program.

Reactions: blubo
Same thing that happened to Bobby Knight. The game changed and he refused to change or adapt.

Cal was a good coach. You don’t make the HOF without being a very good coach. That said, he wasn’t as good on the X’s & O’s as Knight. He was/is a better human than Knight. My comparison is simply that they were both insanely stubborn.
Knight, Crum, K, Dean, Roy.....Father Time laughs at our 2015 goal. Hall retired relatively young because he "didn't want to be an old coach."

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
As a student of the game, I'm interested in the new aspects of the game that Kentucky and Calipari don't play. People say it a lot, but I'm not that technical. What do they mean when they say and who does these new things?

Two things:

1) Kurt Cobain killed himself, maybe not the best person to look at for life lessons.

2) I strongly disagree, I truly think John Calipari is extremely stupid. Genuinely think he’s become mentally incompetent in his old age.
1) Cobain didn't make up that line. He was quoting a Neil Young song ("My My, Hey Hey") in his suicide note. I was being facetious by attributing it to Cobain.

2) Agree to disagree. You don't get to where Cal had gotten in his life and career by being stupid. Stubborn? Yes. Arrogant? Yes. Stupid? No. Also, he's 65 yrs old, not 90. He's not senile.

Wasn’t that Neil Young?
Neil Young did say that in “Rock and Roll Will Never Die”. Def Leopard also said it in the beginning of “Rock of Ages”. Not sure which was first and too lazy to google it. Cobain was quoting one of them though.

I can name several coaches in their 60s with a sincere desire to win…Cal termed the phrase win or learn which is the stupidest comment ever

yeah, he definitely didn't learn a damn thing from any of these losses, going on 4 years now.

doja cat cow GIF by Dawnie Marie

“I’m not a CAT, I don’t meow.”

^^^^

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT