ADVERTISEMENT

What really happened to Cal?

In April 2019 our AD panicked when Cal leveraged UCLA interest in him ....and as a result, gave an utterly outrageous 10 year "lifetime" contract extension that effectively surrendered all UK control over the program to an egomaniacal coach and made him utterly untouchable and accountable to nobody.

If you want to pinpoint a precise moment when the program went to hell ...I'd start there.

In 2019 our AD panicked when UCLA pursued him ....and as a result, gave him an utterly outrageous 10 year "lifetime" contract extension that effectively surrendered all UK control over the program to an egomaniacal coach and made him utterly untouchable and accountable to nobody.

If you want to pinpoint a precise moment when program went to hell ...I'd start there.
2015 loss.

Top recruits realized they could go anywhere and still get drafted. So there was 10 other teams within striking distance of his talent. Before that there was only about 3-4 that got within striking distance of his talent.

The transfer portal really took away his enormous talent advantage and he is getting exposed for how terrible of a game coach he really is.

In April 2019 our AD panicked when Cal leveraged UCLA interest in him ....and as a result, gave an utterly outrageous 10 year "lifetime" contract extension that effectively surrendered all UK control over the program to an egomaniacal coach and made him utterly untouchable and accountable to nobody.

If you want to pinpoint a precise moment when the program went to hell ...I'd start there.

Got rid of the only people who understood the game deeply and surrounded himself with yes men that encourage his ego and do not help his lack of true game smarts.
These 2 things are the CRUX of it. I would add that his success at being a springboard to the NBA also contributed. He LOVES bragging about how many kids he has placed there and the amount of money they have made from reaching there. It has went to his head.

And, as a result, just stopped caring about the results on the floor at UK anymore. However, the criticism is REALLY going to be kicked up SEVERAL notches by EVERYONE not only around the program but Nationally too. He hasn't experienced the kind of ABUSE he is getting ready to receive from EVERYONE!!!

Hope it is enough for him to call it quits when his ENORMOUS EGO can't handle it because he no longer has the ABILITY to correct it.

Same thing that happened to Bobby Knight. The game changed and he refused to change or adapt.

Cal was a good coach. You don’t make the HOF without being a very good coach. That said, he wasn’t as good on the X’s & O’s as Knight. He was/is a better human than Knight. My comparison is simply that they were both insanely stubborn.
I’m not sure he’s a better person than Knight. Knight did a lot of charitable things and a lot for his players. He was just an ass in a different way than Cal, and he didn’t care what people thought of him.

I’m not sure he’s a better person than Knight. Knight did a lot of charitable things and a lot for his players. He was just an ass in a different way than Cal, and he didn’t care what people thought of him.

Fair. I’ve heard that from IU fans who met him. No sarcasm intended. I also think Cal is a nice person & does charitable work.

Reactions: grevey35
He refuses to change, he is still running the same stuff from 2009 and it doesn't work this day and age.
Rob Dauster who is a Basketball writer for Field of 68 said that Cal's last play with 13 seconds left was a Box set that he has run for YEARS and EVERY TIME he comes out in it ALL OPPOSING coaches KNOW that he is trying to set up for a Lob at the rim.

So you are EXACTLY right!!! And I have said that he has QUIT actually "Coaching" since 2019!!!

Really a combination of several factors that combined into a big problem in my opinion. When he first came to Kentucky, he was one of the few coaches heavily invested in recruiting “one and done” prospects, as the NBA rule barring high school players from the draft was still pretty new and he was ahead of the curve at first in convincing those types of players that he was their best shot at being prepared for the draft. This gave his early teams here a decided talent advantage over most of their competition that has eroded a bit over time as those kinds of players started realizing they could still get drafted playing just about anywhere and more programs became comfortable recruiting them. Things like the transfer portal and the free COVID year have also allowed more of the veteran college players who aren’t necessarily top NBA prospects, but have a higher level of physical maturity right now to fill holes on the rosters of some of our rivals while Cal is relying heavily on freshmen as well.

In addition to all of that, Cal’s system was still pretty in line with what was considered modern in 2009. Since then, the game has drastically changed to emphasize spacing, shooting, and skill over raw size and athleticism, but he’s been very reluctant to change any of his tactics accordingly. Add it all together and he’s been fielding teams that are less talented relative to the competition compared to his early teams and had them using strategies that don’t give them a leg up either. It’s really not that much of a mystery why his results have fallen off.

No way Knight was a good human being after listening to his language in that golf video. Despicable.

Photo ops don't mean you care about people. Cal is a salesman. Even his charity work is about him being recognized for it. Otherwise you'd never hear about it in the news.

Cal reached the pinnacle of his career and quite honestly became complacent. His focus changed to “changing lives” cause that was easier than winning at the highest level. He replaced people who would push/challenge him with people that dont challenge. It is the rare individual, in any profession, who wins at a high level, becomes highly compensated, has aged and still maintains the competitive fire.

When Cal started talking about so many off court things, it was obvious his fire had dimmed.

Last edited:
I haven't read every response, but the game didn't pass him by on the offensive side of the ball. It did on the defensive side of the ball. His offenses may not have shot tons of 3s before this year, but they were still efficient.

From 2010-2020 the average offensive efficiency for UK was 15. From 2022-2024 it's 8.6.

From 2010-2020 the average defensive efficiency for UK was 25. From 2022-2024 it's 75.6.

Something changed on the defensive end. Whether it's the fact that he doesn't know how to coach against a more modern offense, or he just stopped trying I guess we'll never know. Or maybe with the rest of the teams having more veteran players due to the extra Covid years his defensive strategies just don't work against more mature competition.

Who knows really, but it's the defensive side of the ball that is the issue now and has been the issue since Covid.

As Kurt Cobain said, "it's better to burn out than to fade away." Cal is living proof of this. He had a chance to bow out before it got this bad, but his ego wouldn't let him. He thought he still had one more run in him.

There's a reason why we still have fondness for Pitino even though he is a POS. He left on top, but Cal is destroying his legacy before our eyes. He knows it too. He's a lot of things, but he's not stupid. I'd wager heavily that he's been thinking of his exit plan for at least a year.

Ye
He has been out coached by a few crappy coaches. He did lose to Kevin freaking Ollie. Maybe he never was really that great he just had talent that made up for it
Yeah those first 5 seasons we had a title were making good runs and dominating almost everyone on the court but only that one title. I think if a good coach has those teams we have at least 2 probably 3 more titles but all of BBN had the blue beer googles on and thought we are just having some bad luck in reality the talent he had was winning despite his poor coaching.

Top recruits realized they could go anywhere and still get drafted. So there was 10 other teams within striking distance of his talent. Before that there was only about 3-4 that got within striking distance of his talent.

The transfer portal really took away his enormous talent advantage and he is getting exposed for how terrible of a game coach he really is.

Yeah, this is actually a really good hypothesis.

He was a total prick to do that.

Cal reached the pinnacle of his career and quite honestly became complacent. His focus changed to “changing lives” cause that was easier than winning at the highest level. He replaced people who would push/challenge him with people that dont challenge. It is the rare individual, in any profession, who wins at a high level, becomes highly compensated, has aged and still maintains the competitive fire.

When Cal started talking about so many off court things, it was obvious his fire had dimmed.
Nick Saban seemed to keep his fire going pretty good - Cal is a real jerk if you pull back the curtain

Reactions: crestcat
Cal is 65 years old. It is not impossible but is VERY rare to find anyone at the peak of their professional life at that age.
Coach K was 68 when he won his last title and slowly went downhill soon after that. He had every advantage possible along with top notch Xs and Os ability.
But age caught up with him...just like it did with Saban.
Cal is no K or Saban when it comes to coaching skills. Cal is stubborn, refuses to change up defenses, runs a predictable offense and has made a good career on having superior talent. He did more inspiring than coaching truth be told.
Tough to be an inspiring old man with 30 percent less energy and 50 percent less motivation than you had 10 years ago.
Cal is now playing a game called time. Unfortunately for him....Father time is undefeated.

Once upon a time, we were DOMINATING recruiting. And Calipari thought hyping the NBA success was the meal ticket. He thought it would be this self fulfilling prophecy. And it was. Just not in the way he expected.

You see, Cal thought we'd have our pick of top recruits year after year. He thought everyone wanted to come to Kentucky, and we would dissect their talents like they were applying for a job. Kentucky eats first and all that. And if nothing ever changed, maybe we were set.

Andrew Wiggins went to Kansas and went 1st overall. Ok, well, it's Kansas. Then Ben Simmons goes to LSU and goes 1st overall. Anthony Bennett went to UNLV. Cade went to OK State. Edwards went to Georgia. These elite guys figured out--you can be a top pick even if you don't go to Kentucky.

A couple 5 star kids went overseas to play professionally. RJ Hamptom. A few others here and there. The G-League Ignite and OTE became another way to lose out on the elite of the elite.

Then the three final nails in the coffin: Covid-19, Transfer portal, and NIL.

Cal didn't really want to embrace NIL. I think that held us back for a few years. Covid-19 has given guys that extra year of eligibility. And then the transfer portal has allowed schools to have bidding wars for 23 and 24 year old grown men. And the Power 5 schools are buying the best players. The talent is more condensed than ever before.

So now, more talent is returning to college/staying in college longer. It's all going to the bigger schools. Teams are older, tougher, more physical. They're more experienced and know how to play high level/team basketball.

Instead of embracing the 2024 model--Cal went back to the 2010 model. We have the elite freshmen. We have a few upper classmen. He finally figured out that we need shooting. But we have a team of mostly 18-19 year olds playing against grown men that understand the game better.

Once upon a time, we were DOMINATING recruiting. And Calipari thought hyping the NBA success was the meal ticket. He thought it would be this self fulfilling prophecy. And it was. Just not in the way he expected.

You see, Cal thought we'd have our pick of top recruits year after year. He thought everyone wanted to come to Kentucky, and we would dissect their talents like they were applying for a job. Kentucky eats first and all that. And if nothing ever changed, maybe we were set.

Andrew Wiggins went to Kansas and went 1st overall. Ok, well, it's Kansas. Then Ben Simmons goes to LSU and goes 1st overall. Anthony Bennett went to UNLV. Cade went to OK State. Edwards went to Georgia. These elite guys figured out--you can be a top pick even if you don't go to Kentucky.

A couple 5 star kids went overseas to play professionally. RJ Hamptom. A few others here and there. The G-League Ignite and OTE became another way to lose out on the elite of the elite.

Then the three final nails in the coffin: Covid-19, Transfer portal, and NIL.

Cal didn't really want to embrace NIL. I think that held us back for a few years. Covid-19 has given guys that extra year of eligibility. And then the transfer portal has allowed schools to have bidding wars for 23 and 24 year old grown men. And the Power 5 schools are buying the best players. The talent is more condensed than ever before.

So now, more talent is returning to college/staying in college longer. It's all going to the bigger schools. Teams are older, tougher, more physical. They're more experienced and know how to play high level/team basketball.

Instead of embracing the 2024 model--Cal went back to the 2010 model. We have the elite freshmen. We have a few upper classmen. He finally figured out that we need shooting. But we have a team of mostly 18-19 year olds playing against grown men that understand the game better.
Damn!

Reactions: cats1920
The slow descent began in 2015.

2015- The hurt of losing to Wiscy was erased the next morning by him being told he was going in the Naismith HOF. The guy who always operated on the fringes of the sport and wore the black hat had finally been giving his dinner jacket and embraced by the country club! It changed him, and he seemed satisfied. He never mentioned winning a title as publicly after 2012 but the chase for 40-0 he was vocal about. The loss kept him just short of that longed proclaimed goal of his, but then the acceptance he always longed for… changed the man. Haven’t heard him mention his 40-0 dream ever since.

2018- We started to see a more clandestine version of Cal. The entire Jarred Vanderbilt injury mystery hung like a cloud over the team much of the year. It was a massive distraction, and it’s also when Cal became the cover guy for players and not being forthright about status. This planted a poisonous seed that is slowly killing the program to this day. This was also when he lost to a terribly mediocre KSU team when an unexpected open path to a final four was literally dumped in his lap. This was the point I started to get really concerned. Threw away a golden opportunity that year.

2019- He won 30 games despite shameful opening game and last game of season performances. The Duke opener I was at… never been more disgusted as a fan my entire life. That loss was humiliating. The Auburn loss when they lost their best player the game before was just unacceptable. Another year UK should have been in a final 4 and gagged it away under stall ball Cal.

2020 - the year was marked with player defection, terribly embarrassing losses in non conference, Ashton’s money phone and a virus. The team had very likeable guys for the most part but was cut short… then Covid.

Covid killed much of what was left of the old Cal. He got sloppy, looked sloppy, and became only concerned about feelings. All the aforementioned problems became comically exacerbated even further. Whatever was left of the program under him coded in the 9-16 season. He was briefly resuscitated by Oscar but then the Sharpe saga and the St. Peter’s loss killed what was left of the old Cal.

End of story.

There is likely no comeback story either… just a man bleeding a base of its joy and a school of its money.

Last edited:
I can name several coaches in their 60s with a sincere desire to win…Cal termed the phrase win or learn which is the stupidest comment ever
That are making 9 million per year, are set financially for life and are at the highest level in their 60s. You think that is common or more the exception?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT