ADVERTISEMENT

What needs to be fixed about college basketball officiating?

The play where the defender down low goes flying backwards should almost always be a foul on the defender. 90 percent of the time they fling themselves backwards because they know the ref will take the bait.

Another one I hate is when they call very minor contact when the offensive play drives and scores. Obviously the minor contact did not affect the player's ability to score. If there is legitimate contact, blow the whistle, but if it goes in, wave off the foul.

Reactions: Gocats1954
Flop/charge. It puts good players into foul trouble and makes it very difficult to score. I think we had between 5 and 10 offensive fouls the other day. Can't remember. That's anywhere from 5 to 16 points on lost possessions. Of course, with the way we were shooting, it probably would have been more like 4 points.

Flopping is the worst thing that has ever happened in Basketball as it is just a form of cheating .

I think they need a replay official like football. He sees a mistake and stops play to fix it.

The TV can get a replay to show a flop before the next play, the officials can too.

Also, send 4 refs to all games. You make a really stupid call or get a bit winded and you're out for a while.

Lastly, flops result in a technical, then an ejection, then suspensions as the year goes on. You get busted for flopping 3 times, you're suspended a game. 4th time 2 games. And so on

Reactions: Wildcat Sheli
Currently that's the way it is
They said during the SECT, the reason sirmons would not be there is he doesn't list the SEC as his primary conference. So, that sounds like they do concentrate on one or two conferences. I could be wrong of course.

I'm absolutely sick of what officials have done to the game. I've honestly seen better self-officiating in pick-up games. No one calls touch fouls in pick-up. No one calls anything that doesn't affect the play and no one is calling charges.

Get rid of the charge call short of throwing elbows. The falling down stuff has got to stop. These are D1 athletes who act like they have the body of a toddler getting run over by a freight train. So sick of it because the officials have no idea how to determine a flop or a charge.

My suggestions

1) Get rid of touch fouls that have no affect on the possession
2) Get rid of the charge especially guys just letting themselves get knocked over
3) Allow coaches to actually challenge BS calls with no limitation on what they can challenge.
Way too much to go into to put on a thread..Officiating has ruined college ball along with the power mongers at the NCAA

Basketball is going the way of soccer with all the flopping. I'd love to see the charge call taken out of the lane entirely. Even if a guy lowers his shoulder on a post up...normal grown men don't go flying three feet. It's completely absurd to watch IU's bigmen fly backwards when Poythress was spinning away from them and refs take it bait every single time.

How about the refs going to center court during timeouts and not spending all their time talking with the coaches. Refs should not interact with the coaches at all during the games. I hate it when I see a coach getting a detailed explanation from the ref about a call. Coack K has a conversation with them every timeout and about half the trips down the court.

You can't fix "selling the foul", winning will always be more important than honor or self-respect. Sad but true, it's just the reality of the matter.

The best you can do is punish severly the most egregious instances and hope it discourages that form of "gamesmanship". All that ends up doing is producing better floppers.

Another one I hate is when they call very minor contact when the offensive play drives and scores. Obviously the minor contact did not affect the player's ability to score. If there is legitimate contact, blow the whistle, but if it goes in, wave off the foul.
I think when international rules are used , they do wave off the foul. I like that rule too. Getting back to the main topic, I watch a lot of games and I don't really think that there is too much wrong with the system now that can be corrected that much. When calls have to be made in seconds and judged by humans, there are going to be errors

There are games where I disagree with some calls, but that doesn't mean the refs are wrong. What I have witnessed here on this board is nothing more than bias by the home fans more than anything else. Its always going to be that kind of complaining and that is natural.

You can view more replays, but I think there is too much time required to do that. We have three officials and that should be sufficient. This is just my opinoin.

Just like football...

Coach gets a challenge or two per half and if the call is not reversed, you lose a timeout.

Also, I do like the idea of doing away with charges outside of the paint.

This one bugs me the most. I was pulling for the Texas A&M comeback last night but it would not have happened without one of these calls. Caruso got one of these with the defender trying to get out of his way and they still called the foul.

Reactions: wildcatglenn
Flopping and selling calls is now ingrained in all sports, which is pretty sad. Pro leagues have been able to combat that, somewhat, with hefty fines. Obviously that can't be done in college, so who knows how they could clean that up. Suspensions maybe, I don't know?

I think, in general, everything about reffing needs to be cleaned up. There are way too many biases at play these days. That pat Adams article was a clear example of that. I think refs need to be held accountable. Players and coaches have to meet with the media after games, no reason refs shouldn't either. They are an important piece of the game, yet their actions are never questioned or answered for. I also think coaches should be able to submit a grade for the refs they have each game. That can be submitted to a committee made up of former players, coaches, refs, and even some media. As opposed to refs just grading refs, that goes nowhere. If there are questions/concers (Like Sirmons ejecting Cal in 3 mins) they can be handled by the committee.

This one bugs me the most. I was pulling for the Texas A&M comeback last night but it would not have happened without one of these calls. Caruso got one of these with the defender trying to get out of his way and they still called the foul.

No doubt. As an SEC fan, I was happy A & M won, but Northern Iowa really got screwed by some bad anticipation calls down the stretch of that game. On that drive at the end of the comeback the poor Northern Iowa guy had his hands straight up was backing away and just desperately trying to avoid a foul call--yet the ref called the foul anyway.

Why? Because he "anticipated" it. It was a driving situation where he thought the crowd would be expecting a whistle, so he blew his whistle, who cares that there actually was no foul.

You know what I'd like to see happen more often on those driving charge/block situations? NOTHING. I think there should be more no-calls in that situation. Even if there's a bit of contact, if the ref is not certain if it's a charge or a block, let it go. Play on. It's just become such an automatic thing where players expect a whistle every time on those drives (with both sides trying to "sell" their side) that it's starting to ruin the game. And the only real way to fix that is to let them know that the bail out call ain't guaranteed. So perhaps you might consider developing a mid-range game instead of just driving and looking for a whistle every time you get near the hoop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT