ADVERTISEMENT

What is success for a UK coach?

wccat2969

Junior
Apr 8, 2009
I would definitely expect UK to be in contention for a title every year but I don't expect to win it every year. It would be foolish to expect that. Whether you get all 5-stars or a few 5-stars plus some 3-4 year players the name of the game is winning.

So what is considered success? Some like Oats but he did eventually lose as has all coaches except for one at the end of the year.

My question what do we expect from the UK coach?

For example, Cal has been successful but only one title. Has been to FFs but has missed the tourney a couple of times. What is success?

2009-10Kentucky35-3.921SEC Champ (R/T); NCAA Elite Eight
2010-11Kentucky29-9.763SEC Champ (T); NCAA Final Four
2011-12Kentucky38-2.950SEC Champ (R); NCAA Champions
2012-13Kentucky21-12.636NIT
2013-14Kentucky29-11.725NCAA Runner-Up
2014-15Kentucky38-1.974SEC Champ (R/T); NCAA Final Four
2015-16Kentucky27-9.750SEC Champ (R/T); NCAA Second Round
2016-17Kentucky32-6.842SEC Champ (R/T); NCAA Elite Eight
2017-18Kentucky26-11.703SEC Champ (T); Sweet 16
2018-19Kentucky30-7.811NCAA Elite Eight
2019-20Kentucky25-6.806No postseason due to the COVID-19 pandemic
2020-21Kentucky9-16.360

Cal told us what success is. We're the gold standard. He wants to catch UCLA before he retires. He said those things.

Those aren't unreasonable expectations set forth by insane fans. Those are Cal's goals/expectations.

And then we go 9-16---we're not in the same universe as his lofty goals. And people are telling me I'm unreasonable for being mad about 9-16. "You can't go to the Final 4 every year lol newb."

As if expecting to make the tournament is the same as demanding a final 4. But again, Cal thinks we're the gold standard. I'm not sure we're the brass standard at this point.

I
Cal told us what success is. We're the gold standard. He wants to catch UCLA before he retires. He said those things.

Those aren't unreasonable expectations set forth by insane fans. Those are Cal's goals/expectations.

And then we go 9-16---we're not in the same universe as his lofty goals. And people are telling me I'm unreasonable for being mad about 9-16. "You can't go to the Final 4 every year lol newb."

As if expecting to make the tournament is the same as demanding a final 4. But again, Cal thinks we're the gold standard. I'm not sure we're the brass standard at this point.
overreact often?

Missing a NCAA tourney is a cataclysmic disaster beyond description...no excuses.

If it happens again, there will be For Sale signs in his front yard for sure.

jailfreecal-sm.png

I would definitely expect UK to be in contention for a title every year but I don't expect to win it every year. It would be foolish to expect that. Whether you get all 5-stars or a few 5-stars plus some 3-4 year players the name of the game is winning.

So what is considered success? Some like Oats but he did eventually lose as has all coaches except for one at the end of the year.

For example, Cal has been successful but only one title. Has been to FFs but has missed the tourney a couple of times. What is success?

2020-21Kentucky9-16.360
Cal is very successful and he's a Top 3 coach at Kentucky (all time) in my opinion only behind Adolph Rupp and Rick Pitino. But he needs to get at least 2 more championships with us.

I don't know what about that was overreacting. It was a response to the question. If you don't like responses to questions, don't come into threads. I'm sick of dudes like you that don't contribute to the discussion and just come here to pop off to dudes you don't know over the internet.

And talk about what that hasn’t been bashed in to the ground already over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

Cal will be here next year. There’ll be a wash rinse repeat of most of his career here. The quitters will retreat to the shadows praying for losses.

Winning ALL of the games that you should win and the majority of games against teams considered your equal. Never lose at home to the likes of teams that we have lost to the past couple years. A successful coach will have teams that other coaches dread playing..... Cal has not checked any of those boxes the last few years.

And talk about what that hasn’t been bashed in to the ground already over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over....

Cal will be here next year. There’ll be a wash rinse repeat of most of his career here. The quitters will retreat to the shadows praying for losses.
Terrible take. No one prays for losses. I want nothing more than for us to win over and over.

But how dare we complain about 9-16. That makes me a quitter. Lol. Bye.

Terrible take. No one prays for losses. I want nothing more than for us to win over and over.

But how dare we complain about 9-16. That makes me a quitter. Lol. Bye.
Oh, nothing wrong with complaining once or twice. But to cry and sob relentlessly for weeks, pissing and moaning aver the same things, endlessly bleating like a brat child that lost a cookie, yeah. That’s a problem. Act like that in public, you draw attention. Just a bunch of children screaming on the plane.

Oh, nothing wrong with complaining once or twice. But to cry and sob relentlessly for weeks, pissing and moaning aver the same things, endlessly bleating like a brat child that lost a cookie, yeah. That’s a problem. Act like that in public, you draw attention. Just a bunch of children screaming on the plane.
Do you want me to talk about all the wins we had this season?

All the positive things from this season?

Lol. Just avoid my posts, dude. We’ll both be better for it.

Do you want me to talk about all the wins we had this season?

All the positive things from this season?

Lol. Just avoid my posts, dude. We’ll both be better for it.
See there we go. Same thing over and over and over. We had the worst record in history. Taps foot. Yup still the same. Taps foot. Yup still the same. Taps foot. Yup still the same. You think Cal will be the coach? How about now. You still think he’ll be the coach. Are you really sure? Now I mean how sure? Really truly? No... wait I don’t remember did our record suck?

Welcome to a mindless day in rafters.

I don't know what about that was overreacting. It was a response to the question. If you don't like responses to questions, don't come into threads. I'm sick of dudes like you that don't contribute to the discussion and just come here to pop off to dudes you don't know over the internet.
Don't sweat that dude. He's nothing but a mouth and a fraud has more identities on here than Sybil.

When you’re getting the number 1 or number 2 recruiting class year in and year out:

-good basketball all season with some fun wins
-a shot at the Final Four when you start March

overall, I just want to enjoy the season. I expect some bumps, some hiccups even a rough year here or there. Basketball is so easy to improve your team year to year if you are a Kentucky, or another blue blood, you have 0 excuses for back to back bad seasons.

We’ll never know what last season would’ve have been but the year before and this year have been rough to watch through the regular season. 2019 tournament was no prize either. The apologists keep moving the goal posts. For the criticism of regular season losses and bad basketball you hear” wait till March” but when UK gets beat you hear “the tournament is a crap shoot.” So, while I totally recognize March is a crap shoot you can’t use that as an excuse when people bring up the months of bad basketball as the youth of the team “figures it out.” I haven’t fully enjoyed a UK season since 2017. There’s been moments here and there but that was the last time I enjoyed UK basketball.
That’s the way it got under Tubby for me. I loved Tubby, still do but 03 and 05 were fun even though they didn’t get to the FF. But 07 and 08 were painful.

I think 2017 was the last successful season under Cal. That’s the problem. UK basketball is not fun. Not in November, not in December and now not in March.

2020-21Kentucky9-16.360
For most UK fans, it’s a National Championship every year.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Very true. He never has anything to add to a post, just criticizes everyone, who doesn't think that Cal is the savior for UK.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I want players who want to be at UK, for more then one year. I don't want a player who only thinks about getting to the NBA after one year of college. This is Cal's fault, because he has told the players, if they listen to him, they and their family will be rich after one year at UK. I remember when UK was a college where we got to know the players, and they played as a team. That doesn't happen anymore. Cal doesn't recruit for position, only for length. I really do not believe he can judge talent. The game has changed, but he refuses to change with it. I don't even expect a Final Four every year, but I do expect an Elite 8, and for us to be in the hunt. When you are recruiting the Number 1, 2 or 3 class, you don't expect a losing record. You should be able to compete with everyone. Our seasons have continued to get worse under Cal, and hopefully we hit bottom this year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I want players who want to be at UK, for more then one year. I don't want a player who only thinks about getting to the NBA after one year of college. This is Cal's fault, because he has told the players, if they listen to him, they and their family will be rich after one year at UK. I remember when UK was a college where we got to know the players, and they played as a team. That doesn't happen anymore. Cal doesn't recruit for position, only for length. I really do not believe he can judge talent. The game has changed, but he refuses to change with it. I don't even expect a Final Four every year, but I do expect an Elite 8, and for us to be in the hunt. When you are recruiting the Number 1, 2 or 3 class, you don't expect a losing record. You should be able to compete with everyone. Our seasons have continued to get worse under Cal, and hopefully we hit bottom this year.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I agree with a lot of what you said including the tournament standard. EE is the barometer for me in terms of a good season.

Regarding talent, I think that is fundamentally wrong. He has pulled some guys like Herro/SGA/PJ/WCS that were not as highly rated and helped them become stars.

I do wish players stayed around longer and part of that is Cal and his brand, but part of it is the changing of the game which is a bit outside of his control.

I agree with a lot of what you said including the tournament standard. EE is the barometer for me in terms of a good season.

Regarding talent, I think that is fundamentally wrong. He has pulled some guys like Herro/SGA/PJ/WCS that were not as highly rated and helped them become stars.

I do wish players stayed around longer and part of that is Cal and his brand, but part of it is the changing of the game which is a bit outside of his control.
To me, it depends on the team. Like the 15-16 team, a S16 would have been a pretty good season for that team. Not overly talented, but on occasion they could play above their talent level.
Now, the 17-18 team had too much talent to play as poor as they did. They made the S16 but should have went much further.
On average, a FF should always be the goal for UK, but those are hard to come by. So an E8 is a good season, but never the goal.

As old Stoll Field guy stated, “you should be able to compete with everyone“ and mrhotdice stated “ I want a team that others fear to play”. Agree 100%! UK should not be shying away from playing anyone in the country. I would like to see a return of the old UKIT with 4 schools competing for a tournament title. Call it the Joe B. Hall Champions Tournament and invite a high caliber successful program along with 2 other under the radar programs. Success is vying for the SEC title every year, getting into the NCAA tournament every year, having a shot at the Elite Eight, final four etc every year. Having a Senior Night every year! Nothing can guarantee championships but a balanced roster of new players along with 3-4 year veterans and finding recruits who want to play for the ”Kentucky” on the front of their uniforms and not their name on the back.

a title every 8-10 years. I know Cal has had higher expectations amongst fans due to his recruiting, but for any other coach the bar would probably be a little lower. in those other seasons you should be making the sweet 16 minimum basically every year. no reason to flame out early in the tourney to lower seeded or inferior teams

a title every 8-10 years. I know Cal has had higher expectations amongst fans due to his recruiting, but for any other coach the bar would probably be a little lower. in those other seasons you should be making the sweet 16 minimum basically every year. no reason to flame out early in the tourney to lower seeded or inferior teams

A title every 8 years for me. I think if you do the math on NCAA eligible years 8-9 is our conversion rate. BUT also if you look at the history of UK coaches all but one was forced out or left with the heat on their seat. That tells you the average UK coach has not been up to the standards of the fanbase.

The one coach who left on his own terms won a title in 6 eligible years, it looked like Cal was going to beat that conversion rate at one point and I think he thought he would/should have too. If he doesn’t win another his tenure will be filled with could haves and should haves, a lot like Joe B and Tubby.

Very simple. Win a natty every year. Never lose. Play basketball like they do on PlayStation. Treat every fan like they are gods gift to basketball. Shoot 50 3’s a game and hit 75%. Work for free. Win every recruiting battle. Get the top 5 recruits every year and make them stay for 4 years. Never recruit any kid not from KY.

Some of the CLOD and quitters would still bitch.

2020-21Kentucky9-16.360

Win 80% of your games and be in the hunt nationally

Very simple. Win a natty every year. Never lose. Play basketball like they do on PlayStation. Treat every fan like they are gods gift to basketball. Shoot 50 3’s a game and hit 75%. Work for free. Win every recruiting battle. Get the top 5 recruits every year and make them stay for 4 years. Never recruit any kid not from KY.

And your posts would still be useless

Having Goals does not reflect success. I have a goal of being President of my company. Because I have recently been promoted to Vice President does it mean I am not successful. You and many other fans have no common sense if you think because Cal having a goal of passing UCLA in titles that means he is not successful if he doesn't accomplish that goal. I like that he has lofty goals. I guess you want a coach that has a goal of winning 20 games and once he wins 20 games you would call him a success. Get real.

Having Goals does not reflect success. I have a goal of being President of my company. Because I have recently been promoted to Vice President does it mean I am not successful. You and many other fans have no common sense if you think because Cal having a goal of passing UCLA in titles that means he is not successful if he doesn't accomplish that goal. I like that he has lofty goals. I guess you want a coach that has a goal of winning 20 games and once he wins 20 games you would call him a success. Get real.
This...yet another ridiculous post by you.

Yes, if you don't meet your goals, you're not succeeding.

No coach at Kentucky would have a goal of winning 20 games...because this is Kentucky.

If you were at Southern Alabama, maybe 20 games is a goal. But you just always lack any sense of context. What are you, 12?

This...yet another ridiculous post by you.

Yes, if you don't meet your goals, you're not succeeding.

No coach at Kentucky would have a goal of winning 20 games...because this is Kentucky.

If you were at Southern Alabama, maybe 20 games is a goal. But you just always lack any sense of context. What are you, 12?
Then you evidently never worked in management in a company. We always set goals that are not entirely met but we still had a very successful year. Our goal last year was to make a 28% profit. We made a 25.8% profit. So we had a very successful year. Our company wants us to set the highest goal possible so we will work harder to meet that goal. We still can be very successful by coming close to meeting those goals. You may need to use a little common sense sometimes.

Then you evidently never worked in management in a company. We always set goals that are not entirely met but we still had a very successful year. Our goal last year was to make a 28% profit. We made a 25.8% profit. So we had a very successful year. Our company wants us to set the highest goal possible so we will work harder to meet that goal. We still can be very successful by coming close to meeting those goals. You may need to use a little common sense sometimes
Dude. Just stop engaging me.

This is UK basketball, not your $hitty management job.

We just went 9-16 and you're saying we can still be successful while falling short of Cal's lofty goals. LOL YOU DONT KNOW HOW MANAGEMENT WORKS.

You're an idiot.

Not sure why you hang around here. All you do is insult. All you spew out is CLOD and PLAYSTATION. You never add anything, just hurl insults.

Once again I will try to understand you. You say you support the program. But then you say you want the University DEFUNDED. I am trying to understand your motives that seem like a contradiction. Please explain to all of us how that works.

Dude. Just stop engaging me.

This is UK basketball, not your $hitty management job.

We just went 9-16 and you're saying we can still be successful while falling short of Cal's lofty goals. LOL YOU DONT KNOW HOW MANAGEMENT WORKS.

You're an idiot.
I have forgot more than you will ever know.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
Overreacting. Completely overreacting.

Not sure why you hang around here. All you do is insult. All you spew out is CLOD and PLAYSTATION. You never add anything, just hurl insults.

Once again I will try to understand you. You say you support the program. But then you say you want the University DEFUNDED. I am trying to understand your motives that seem like a contradiction. Please explain to all of us how that works.
We know your goal and that is to get rid of Cal at all cost. Get a life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT