ADVERTISEMENT

What if Cal left Arkansas for the NBA before coaching a game?

Apr 13, 2024
Several coaches of desirable franchises in the NBA playoffs are on the hot seat or on expiring contracts with their current teams. Darvin Ham (Lakers) and Frank Vogel (Suns) have both been mentioned on the hot seat at various points this season for underwhelming results given their superstar rosters. Tyronn Lue (Clippers) is on an expiring contract.

What if the Lakers fire Darvin Ham and give Coach Cal a call? Would he turn it down? It would be his last chance to coach LeBron James and it would re-unite him with Anthony Davis.

What if the Suns fire Frank Vogel? Their new owner, Matt Ishbia, supposedly likes Tyronn Lue. But if they can't get Lue, then that is an opportunity to coach Durant, Booker, and Beal.

If Lue budges from the Clippers, then that job would bring the opportunity to coach Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, James Harden, and Russell Westbrook.

There are a lot of scenarios where Cal could be on the short-list for some of these teams, especially if they believe that he can bring in some of his former players through free agency or trade. Looking down the road, 2026 will be a huge year in NBA free agency. Shai Gilgeous-Alexaner, DeAaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Julius Randle, and P.J. Washington among others (these are just the bigger name Cal players) will hit the market. If you are the Lakers, then you are looking to make a big free agent splash when LeBron retires. That will probably be right around this time when all these free agents are available.

A unknown scenario would also be if John Wall makes an NBA comeback, which he has openly discussed. Wall as a complementary piece on any of these teams would be amazing, and Cal could make that happen for these franchises.

There are other chairs that could move within the NBA coaching circles, but we were always wondering if Cal would get that itch to return to the NBA. Right now is his time to do it to get one of these marquee situations with superstar players and to chase that NBA title. His buyout to cancel the Arkansas deal is reportedly $6 million. If that's the price it takes to finally coach LeBron or a collection of his former superstars, then I think he would take the opportunity. Nobody in the league would blame him, even if it upsets the people at Arkansas. Who cares about that?

Several coaches of desirable franchises in the NBA playoffs are on the hot seat or on expiring contracts with their current teams. Darvin Ham (Lakers) and Frank Vogel (Suns) have both been mentioned on the hot seat at various points this season for underwhelming results given their superstar rosters. Tyronn Lue (Clippers) is on an expiring contract.

What if the Lakers fire Darvin Ham and give Coach Cal a call? Would he turn it down? It would be his last chance to coach LeBron James and it would re-unite him with Anthony Davis.

What if the Suns fire Frank Vogel? Their new owner, Matt Ishbia, supposedly likes Tyronn Lue. But if they can't get Lue, then that is an opportunity to coach Durant, Booker, and Beal.

If Lue budges from the Clippers, then that job would bring the opportunity to coach Kawhi Leonard, Paul George, James Harden, and Russell Westbrook.

There are a lot of scenarios where Cal could be on the short-list for some of these teams, especially if they believe that he can bring in some of his former players through free agency or trade. Looking down the road, 2026 will be a huge year in NBA free agency. Shai Gilgeous-Alexaner, DeAaron Fox, Bam Adebayo, Julius Randle, and P.J. Washington among others (these are just the bigger name Cal players) will hit the market. If you are the Lakers, then you are looking to make a big free agent splash when LeBron retires. That will probably be right around this time when all these free agents are available.

A unknown scenario would also be if John Wall makes an NBA comeback, which he has openly discussed. Wall as a complementary piece on any of these teams would be amazing, and Cal could make that happen for these franchises.

There are other chairs that could move within the NBA coaching circles, but we were always wondering if Cal would get that itch to return to the NBA. Right now is his time to do it to get one of these marquee situations with superstar players and to chase that NBA title. His buyout to cancel the Arkansas deal is reportedly $6 million. If that's the price it takes to finally coach LeBron or a collection of his former superstars, then I think he would take the opportunity. Nobody in the league would blame him, even if it upsets the people at Arkansas. Who cares about that?
I don't know why you're up, I had to let the dog out.
The post Cal obsession on here is amazing.
What do you think?
I'm not being smart. Just amaszes me how this man is still such a presence .
Have a good rest of the night.

Reactions: ukwazoo
Yeah I just don't know if cal has what it takes to coach in todays nba with all the complexity of the offense and dealing with the personalities. Cal really gets intense during the game and those guys aren't going to be wanting to see all the yelling and stuff.

I think Cal wishes he would have landed at a school like UCLA or USC rather than Arkansas. I want to see Cal happy because even though he had many misdeads and failings toward the end he always poured his heart into this state and in trying to be an ambassador of sorts.

It may sting him to think that bbn just doesn't care at all or remember those good times and tbh it's a little sad to see.

I don't think any team wants Cal. His time to go back to the NBA was 2014 or 2015. After that, I think that door shut for good because of how NBA offense changed.

If a team offered, though, I think he'd jump at it. He doesn't seem all that excited to be at Arkansas. I wouldn't be shocked if he looks for other coaching jobs after this upcoming season.

What do you think?
Ex UK coaches are talked about relentlessly on this board and compared to current coaches all the time. Cal was still officially our coach just ONE WEEK AGO!!! The title of the thread clearly indicated a cal related topic, you had the option to ignore but chose to dive in anyway,

The NBA coaching window for him has expired. Shocked any college program wanted him after UK. The only desirable trait he had that the league would want left the moment John Welch went to Fresno State instead of staying with him. Especially when his replacement is Brad Calipari, Cal reverts back to his antiquated ways before this past season on offense. I highly doubt he embraces 3-point shooting the same way that he did last year not even considering the shooting ability of the talent he brought in. Being able to shoot from 3 is what it is all about in the league these days.

Reactions: Coach Marrow
Will Ferrell Lol GIF

Reactions: Skyguyb27
Yeah I just don't know if cal has what it takes to coach in todays nba with all the complexity of the offense and dealing with the personalities. Cal really gets intense during the game and those guys aren't going to be wanting to see all the yelling and stuff.

I think Cal wishes he would have landed at a school like UCLA or USC rather than Arkansas. I want to see Cal happy because even though he had many misdeads and failings toward the end he always poured his heart into this state and in trying to be an ambassador of sorts.

It may sting him to think that bbn just doesn't care at all or remember those good times and tbh it's a little sad to see.
I am a Cal supporter, through thick and thin, but losing the first round of the SEC and NCAA tournaments again, especially after he made a big deal out of it not being a big deal, was too much. UK fans expect Championships. It was clear that is not longer a priority for Cal.

Cal is gone. The obsession needs to stop now. Let's move forward with Mark.

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Did you create that profile a couple days ago just to feel safe posting content like this?

What do you think?
Yeah, it's gonna be a long season in that regard. Unwanted updates on the ex.

The only job Cal could get in the NBA is janitor.

I don't think the NBA wants him. He's been exposed as a recruiter only and there's not a need for that in the NBA.

If he did that, it would be absolutely hilarious.

Reactions: jwphelps

That would be Arkansas's problem, he is not our problem any more.

I can't see him leaving before the season. What i can see happening is UCLA fires Mick Cronin and Cal leaves for UCLA

He was in the NBA like 20 plus years ago and didn't do well. Coaches generally don't go back there after failing. Pitino comes to mind as well.

Cal is gone. The obsession needs to stop now. Let's move forward with Mark.
Rick is still talked about almost 30 years later. If your not ok with Cal talk by some a week after he leaves you better buckle up.

Also to the OP part of me thinks he can’t leave for the NBA but would be a bit amusing if he did. There’s also part of me that thinks he will try to embarrass UK every chance he plays us and that is fueling him a bit.

Edit: had left out “try”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugoff
Yeah, I don't think anyone believes that Fayetteville Arkansas is where Cal is going to go out.

I think all parties involved understand this is a quick little reprieve from UK, and before his finale so to speak.

It seems as if his boy Tyson is doing him a solid, and vice versa. Cal gets full control and an ability to tap into, most likely run the NIL pot. Things Mitch most likely told him he was not getting at UK. The convo probably went "Cal, I'm taking over. You're on hot seat and short leash. OAD/Me/Draft night era is over. Whatever NIL we do scrape up, you're not controlling."

Cal wanted no part of that. Got bailed out by his boy, and in return Arky gets to have some fun for a bit. They'll be in the news, they'll haul in some nice recruiting classes, and they'll get to brag about some players going lottery.

I'll give it 3 years, give or take, depending on what jobs open up and when.

I don't think Cal at this age has an NBA season in him. You can tell he's toasted from running a mini-NBA camp.

A destination port city makes sense...either coast. Where he can tap into some celebrity culture, be seen around town, sit courtside watching former players.

I've also thought that he could/should end up with USA basketball in some role.

The NBA doesn't seem that complex, does it? Most of the time, it's play little to no defense and then come back on offense to shoot the 3. It only gets a little more complex if you have a passing Euro big man, who can either dominate the paint or pass it out for the open 3.

Dealing with the personalities would be Cal's greatest attribute. He's the ultimate appeaser of star players. He'll have players who want to play for him again, so it would be easy to see a team wanting him to shift the free agent market in their franchise's favor.

Ex UK coaches are talked about relentlessly on this board and compared to current coaches all the time. Cal was still officially our coach just ONE WEEK AGO!!! The title of the thread clearly indicated a cal related topic, you had the option to ignore but chose to dive in anyway,
I just answered what I think.
I don't take all this that serious and a little twisted humor never hurt anybody.

There are probably 50 coaches, some no longer breathing, that the NBA franchises would consider before Cal. His resume speaks for itself.

If he can't put together a roster of NBA talent that can beat COLLEGE teams that don't have it, WTF would ANYONE think he'd be successful with it when he has to play PRO teams?

It's absolutely amazing to me that anyone took him off of our hands AT ALL. You have no idea how blessed we are for this to happen, and I am so thankful for what the boosters of Arkansas have done for us, that I'm considering sending thank you cards to their entire mailing list

I hope he has sit in Fayettenam and think about what he did.
I honestly think he will do well in Arkansas. I have no ill will toward him or any past coaches . I try not to live my life by wishing others bad fortune. I have my faults but come on folks, surely there are other things to do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT