ADVERTISEMENT

What I was told from two people on Bagley...

Aug 23, 2016
I was asked to try and make some contacts about Bagley and instead of telling you what I think, I'm going to share with you what I was told. These accounts are not word for word, I took notes while discussing.

Person 1 on Bagley:

"I don't see him being able to re-classify even though they want him too right now. Rumor has it, he doesn't have the requirements yet to be able to get into UK and Duke. USC could be the big spot if he comes in December, which is more likely to me."I think the family prefers Kentucky if all things were equal, but things aren't. I would heavy favor USC if he is a December enroll. Kid is BIG BIG TIME."

Person 2 on Bagley:

"His people are communicating with other players in the 2018 class as if he is going to be apart of the 2018 class. I think if he could play college this year, then he would. He doesn't need another year of high school basketball. The buzz is Duke because that's the first visit, but I think Kentucky is right there. USC would be the "family wants to watch" choice. If he waits until next year, I would bet some money on Kentucky."

So there you go, that's all I got for you all.

-Coach

As always, thanks a lot coach.

Might be a tough question to answer, but how connected to the situation would you consider these people?

Meaning, are these just the best contacts you have on a situation you're not that plugged into, or is this straight from the horses mouth?

I realize it's probably somewhere in between, just trying to get a feel for how much you (and we) should believe this.

Reactions: BigKari
One our own writers here Yesterday made the statement that from his contacts it looked like would be very difficult for Bagley to reclassify this season.

I was asked to try and make some contacts about Bagley and instead of telling you what I think, I'm going to share with you what I was told. These accounts are not word for word, I took notes while discussing.

Person 1 on Bagley:

"I don't see him being able to re-classify even though they want him too right now. Rumor has it, he doesn't have the requirements yet to be able to get into UK and Duke. USC could be the big spot if he comes in December, which is more likely to me."I think the family prefers Kentucky if all things were equal, but things aren't. I would heavy favor USC if he is a December enroll. Kid is BIG BIG TIME."

Person 2 on Bagley:

"His people are communicating with other players in the 2018 class as if he is going to be apart of the 2018 class. I think if he could play college this year, then he would. He doesn't need another year of high school basketball. The buzz is Duke because that's the first visit, but I think Kentucky is right there. USC would be the "family wants to watch" choice. If he waits until next year, I would bet some money on Kentucky."

-Coach
Thanks for the info. Glad you're still posting!

Well as of now he's not even set to visit Kentucky. Hopefully he doesn't even reclassify.

I just don't think Bagley plays one minute of college ball if he doesn't play this year. His situation seems like the perfect prep-to-pro route. He can graduate this summer (I'm assuming, it doesn't mean he would be D-1 eligible) and he will be one year removed from his graduating class, and he will be 19 in 2018 so he would/could be draft eligible.

Reactions: ekywildcat
I just don't think Bagley plays one minute of college ball if he doesn't play this year. His situation seems like the perfect prep-to-pro route. He can graduate this summer (I'm assuming, it doesn't mean he would be D-1 eligible) and he will be one year removed from his graduating class, and he will be 19 in 2018 so he would/could be draft eligible.

Agreed.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
Makes a lot of sense.

Reactions: TheWizardofOz12
As always, thanks a lot coach.

Might be a tough question to answer, but how connected to the situation would you consider these people?

Meaning, are these just the best contacts you have on a situation you're not that plugged into, or is this straight from the horses mouth?

I realize it's probably somewhere in between, just trying to get a feel for how much you (and we) should believe this.

That's a great question, and I'll answer vaguely. I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure how accurate either is, but I told some people I would check in on it.

Person 1: An assistant coach from a school that isn't on Bagley's short list, but has an interest due to being in the same conference as one of the three mentioned.

Person 2: Former pretty well known AAU coach that doesn't coach, but is still connected and goes to all the events. He hears chatter from other coaches.

That's a great question, and I'll answer vaguely. I'll admit, I'm not exactly sure how accurate either is, but I told some people I would check in on it.

Person 1: An assistant coach from a school that isn't on Bagley's short list, but has an interest due to being in the same conference as one of the three mentioned.

Person 2: Former pretty well known AAU coach that doesn't coach, but is still connected and goes to all the events. He hears chatter from other coaches.

Appreciate the answer. Glad to hear these are two real people and not just so and so who sometimes volunteers at a camp run for unsigned Jucos in the greater Milwaukee area.

Thanks for the info Coach but like others have said I just don't see him playing in collage. He should enjoy his high school years as life goes by way to fast. Would love to see him play one year for UK but I would not hold my breath for it to happen.

Seems somewhat in line with what lots
Of people are thinking/ thought . No real news is good news I guess

If it's this year or next year , I REALLY hope we can land Bagley

Reactions: westerncat

Person 1 on Bagley:

Person 2 on Bagley:

-Coach
Cool beans. [thumb2]

Kobe Bryant was gonna go to Duke!
Yeah.... I remember following his recruitment back in 1996. He was most likely going to LaSalle. But I remember Kentucky being right there as a leader in that race. I don't really remember hearing much about Duke. Then again, we didn't have as much coverage back then other than local media reports.

giphy.gif

Bagely only plays college ball if he wants to. That's it.

I'd bet the house he never plays.

And lol at Duke, they're fos. So now if he never plays in college, we get to hear for decades how he was headed there had he played.

Right, see Giles, Harry.

Yeah.... I remember following his recruitment back in 1996. He was most likely going to LaSalle. But I remember Kentucky being right there as a leader in that race. I don't really remember hearing much about Duke. Then again, we didn't have as much coverage back then other than local media reports.

Bryant's said himself he would've went to Duke in recent years. Think there was even an article on guys that skipped college saying where they would've went.

Bryant's said himself he would've went to Duke in recent years. Think there was even an article on guys that skipped college saying where they would've went.
I know he has said that. But those quotes didn't start popping up until around 2004. I'm saying that it's revisionist history. In 1996 Duke was rarely mentioned, and it was the NBA, LaSalle, or UK.

:Might compare the situation with Giles, all but Jay Bilas and Duke staff said don't play.
Cal could have brought Hami off bench and we probably get to a FF and beat UNC.

Look at AD and KAT, I mean there was debate about Kat being number 1 pick over Okafor. It is not even a question now. Cousins, Davis and Kat are 3 of the top 5 bigs in NBA.

Scuttlebutt is Cal asked them if he could recruit him regardless of this year or for next year. He wanted opportunity to recruit and kid to visit. Cal talking up what UK could do for him Etc.
Not sure if they are receptive.

No one recruited KObe that hard because everyone knew he was NBA all the way.

Exactly. That kid was going pro from age 15-16. Sonny Vaccaro knew it and was already laying the ground work.

Same with McGrady, who says he'd have probably been a Cat. He was never going to have the grades to qualify because he knew he was going pro and it didn't matter.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT