ADVERTISEMENT

What has Stoops done to earn his top 10 salary

He has dominated middling to poor MAC teams. He handily controlled series against Muschamp and Barry Odom. He’s better than Billy Napier. He has played Georgia competitively a few times because they typically are content to play us at our own game of field position no risk football. If that doesn’t scream 9 million a year I don’t know what does?

Like most things, there is some nuance here.

UK is unquestionably in a better position now than they have been in my lifetime. Our talent level is increased, our profile is higher, and our expectations are higher.

I understand UK wanting to commit to stoops financially, as no one wants to slip back to the bad ole days.

But, I see your point. Stoops has very few "high end" wins during his time here. He has dominated "peer programs" (USC, Mizzou, Vandy, UL, and to a lesser extent - MSU and UF) in his time here. A win last night would have been monumental to changing that narrative, and at some point, he should be expected to produce more.

Someone please justify Mark Stoops, I coach scared, top 10 in the nation salary. He hasn't earned it...We need a coach that is hungry.
I’m not trying to carry the stoops flag per se. But i understand why Mitch has given him what he’s got. First, you have to remember where the program came from and what our history has been. The fact that this fanbase is demanding more at this stage is an indictment of what stoops has done for the program.

-2 ten win seasons in the last 5 or 6 years.
- winning streaks over florida
- long dominance over UL
- Top 25-30 recruiting classes
- 8 straight bowl appearances

These are accomplishments that we all thought to be impossible here at Kentucky. He’s also the longest tenured coach in the SEC and that goes a long way in acquiring salary increases. Stick around long enough and you’ll get raises.

Now you can argue that he has stuck around too long and we need to move on to someone else and you may be right. But to move on from him would cost 44 mil and that’s not gonna happen. If you want him gone then you need to root hard for him to win so that another team will come calling like TAM did last year. Otherwise he is our Barry Oldham.

Ok, So you are good with paying championship money to a coach to be mediocre. As long as we beat Florida and make a bowl game ? Pretty high standards
In the SEC, he makes more than Clark Lea, Jeff Lebby, Sam Pittman, Shane Beamer, Hugh Freeze, Mike Elko, Brent Venables and Billy Napier.

Honestly, based on being in year 12 and the success he had leading up to his extension (2022), I have no problems with where he is salary wise. It seems about right.

I can also say that it’s time for him to go.

Sad part is he could be worth what he is getting paid if he just grew a pair of balls. Ive never seen anyone coach as damned scared as he does. When he does make aggressive calls they are rarely ever the right time to do so (going for it last week on our side of the field for example). Hes overall just a piss poor manager of the game.

In the SEC, he makes more than Clark Lea, Jeff Lebby, Sam Pittman, Shane Beamer, Hugh Freeze, Mike Elko, Brent Venables and Billy Napier.

Honestly, based on being in year 12 and the success he had leading up to his extension (2022), I have no problems with where he is salary wise. It seems about right.

I can also say that it’s time for him to go.

I agree with you at the time it made sense. Same with cal n 2019. We can argue the length of contracts was too long for both but based on results at time they were not really questioned.

I agree with you at the time it made sense. Same with cal n 2019. We can argue the length of contracts was too long for both but based on results at time they were not really questioned.
Yep. He obviously hasn’t lived up to it and the buyout is killer. But when it was given, it wasn’t that outrageous.

Reactions: Rockfly78
There is no denying that Stoops brought us up from being the punching bag of the SEC. It just feels like his ceiling has been reached and he's maxed out what he can give us. If we want to try to achieve more there's going to have to be a change.

There is no denying that Stoops brought us up from being the punching bag of the SEC. It just feels like his ceiling has been reached and he's maxed out what he can give us. If we want to try to achieve more there's going to have to be a change.
Stoops has reached his ceiling. But here’s the hard part, Kentucky as a program has also reached its ceiling I’m afraid. 6-8 wins, bowl games and the occasional 10 win special year is our ceiling. Mitch is grateful to the man who brought us here and that’s evident by stoops contract.

Reactions: HeismaNole
Stoops has made $50 million including this year since he’s been at UK.
He’s definitely raised the bar and improved the program.
The $50 million should be enough thanks and for UK to be able to negotiate a reasonable buyout.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT