ADVERTISEMENT

What expectations do you have for the reds? If any?

Wall2Boogie

All-American
Jan 28, 2010
We lose choo can't afford bailey yet. Aaroyo hasn't even been offered a deal, and now we have 3 great players signed in the offseason.
Today-a career 243 hitter some guy I've never heard of
Some other nobody signed to a minor leave deal
Lastly, who could forget skip shoemaker a throw away player from St. Louis. Is there any hope for reds fans?

Losing Choo stinks, but they will replace some of his value with Hamilton. Frazier and Cozart should hopefully bounce back a little this year and we will have Ludwick back to start the year. Pitching will be fine. I wish they had done more, but im not ready to throw in the towel or anything. These guys can still make the playoffs, we just have to wait and see.

I think they can as well. Pitching has to dominate because no way in hell can they win by swinging it out with other teams

The last 2 years have been deflating and my expectations are rather low.

None. Slightly over .500 if everything goes right.

May as well let Dusty manage out the string if you aren't going to make moves to give Price a chance to succeed.

Originally posted by TCPUKChamps:
None. Slightly over .500 if everything goes right.

May as well let Dusty manage out the string if you aren't going to make moves to give Price a chance to succeed.
This

Price has plenty to work with. One of the league's best at 1B, 2B, and RF. One of the league's best pitching staffs. A payroll that should be very competitive.

Biggest problem is the Reds are competing with St. Louis and Pittsburgh in the same division. I think the Reds will end up 4-5 games behind the Cardinals, and 2-3 games behind the Pirates. Wild Card is the goal. I don't think they can win the division.

This post was edited on 1/30 8:14 AM by wildcat1973

What Reds? The Cincinnati Reds?

Yeah, I'd expect another disappointing year for the Cincinnati ................. with an embarassing flame out in the first round of the playoffs if they squeak in.
This post was edited on 1/30 8:55 AM by Bill Cosby

Their window is closed. Glad our BEST ARM had absolutely no impact on the end of the pennant race and playoffs the last two years!

Pirates fans...Reds and Bucs very similarly did not make many moves at all. Some of the prices have been absurd. There are a handful of SPs still out there in denial since the big money teams are done now. I predict Arroyo comes back on a one-year. Hamilton getting on base is the biggest key. overall.

The division is the Cards to lose. The Pirates could still make a move for a 1B but I have doubts their pitching can replicate 2013. Both teams will be in the mid 80s.

Originally posted by Vandalayindustries:
Price has plenty to work with. One of the league's best at 1B, 2B, and RF. One of the league's best pitching staffs. A payroll that should be very competitive.
Price also has the most overpriced 2b in the game, a 1b who loves a walk, well below average offense at SS, 3b, CF and LF. Catcher is to be determined. So basically he runs out a lineup with about 5-6 dead outs.

Bailey will sign a new contract with the Reds, not sure when but the deal gets done. Bailey has mentioned several times he doesn't want to move and would like to retire as a Red. Very confident this deal gets done.
The Reds need Mike Leake to step up into Arroyo's role, need to get 200 innings out of Leake this year. Leake pitched very well in the second half of the season and probably one of the big reasons the Reds are not trying to sign Arroyo right now.
Votto has to be a contact hitter, the Reds don't need him leading the League in walks unless he is hitting .335 or above. Votto getting a lot of walks and hovering around .290 to .300 is not good.
More than likely going to see Jay Bruce move into the 4 spot. Dusty was adamant he didn't want lefty lefty in the lineup but this goes away without Dusty around.
Philips goes to the two spot to start the season and could end up at Leadoff if Hamilton doesn't work out in that spot. Philips is going to be happy in this spot because he will get more ABs and is a more natural leadoff or 2 spot hitter.
Pitching will be strong suit for this team, they simply have too much depth on the roster and in the minor leagues if needed. I suspect we will see some guys moved up from AA or AAA if the guys on the current roster falter or get injured. I would not want to be a pitcher on this staff and get hurt because you could lose your roster spot for the remainder of the season.
I think the Reds win 90 games this season and get in the playoffs. I don't know if 90 is enough to win the Division but they get into the Playoffs.
For what it is worth, while at Reds Fest several of the players commented on new management, most seemed very thrilled with Dusty being gone.

Reds need to focus on signing Latos and Bailey. That being said, doesn't change that offense at all. They HAVE to dump Brandon Phillips and that stupid contract of his.

Originally posted by College#19:

Bailey will sign a new contract with the Reds, not sure when but the deal gets done. Bailey has mentioned several times he doesn't want to move and would like to retire as a Red. Very confident this deal gets done.
I share zero of your optimism here. I predict a one-year deal will be announced soon, but no long-term deal. Right now he would command at least $15mm/year on the market. If he has a great year this year, that goes up. Latos will be slightly higher. No way a team with a $110mm payroll can afford to lock up $55-60+ in 3 players. Not to mention Cueto.

Originally posted by MdWIldcat55:
Getting rid of Dusty is worth ten wins. Hamilton is a budding star. I'm expecting a Sparky-like first year from Price. Look for a league pennant, with the World Series anybody's guess.
coleman_wtf.gif

So who is the 5th starter? Cingrani or Chapman?

Latos
Cueto
Bailey
Leake
?????

assuming they sign Bailey. He is still on the active roster. I know Arroyo is getting older and wants a lot of money, but what he was able to do without a fastball is amazing. Can't believe they let him go.

Originally posted by Beavis606:

I share zero of your optimism here. I predict a one-year deal will be announced soon, but no long-term deal. Right now he would command at least $15mm/year on the market. If he has a great year this year, that goes up. Latos will be slightly higher. No way a team with a $110mm payroll can afford to lock up $55-60+ in 3 players. Not to mention Cueto.
Bailey has said he is willing to give the team a discount to free up money for other players because he wants to stay in Cincinnati. I bet a 6 or 7 year deal gets done for $11MM to $12MM per season. Bailey is willing to leave some money on the table.

Originally posted by bbonds:

So who is the 5th starter? Cingrani or Chapman?

Latos
Cueto
Bailey
Leake
?????

assuming they sign Bailey. He is still on the active roster. I know Arroyo is getting older and wants a lot of money, but what he was able to do without a fastball is amazing. Can't believe they let him go.
Cingrani - that is a no brainer. This kid is going to be dynamite. Just a little better control and he will be a very solid MLB starting pitcher.

The biggest thing the Reds can do with the lineup is move Votto to the 2-hole. I expect they'll be battling for the 2nd WC spot. Watching Chapman waste away in the bullpen is just absolutely awful. He threw 63 or so innings last year and that's just wrong. At least try to figure out if he can be a starter.

Originally posted by bigblue11:
The biggest thing the Reds can do with the lineup is move Votto to the 2-hole. I expect they'll be battling for the 2nd WC spot. Watching Chapman waste away in the bullpen is just absolutely awful. He threw 63 or so innings last year and that's just wrong. At least try to figure out if he can be a starter.
Chapman is not a starter. He has two pitches, fastball and a slider. That gets you 2 innings per game, 3 would be stretching it. Chapman would absolutely get lit up in the middle innings. Unless Chapman develops and has control over 3 to 4 pitches he will never be a MLB starter.

FYI - Chapman prefers being the Closer, he was very vocal about it this off season. And there is nothing wrong with Chapman being a closer.

Chapman is not a starter. He has two pitches, fastball and a slider. That gets you 2 innings per game, 3 would be stretching it. Chapman would absolutely get lit up in the middle innings. Unless Chapman develops and has control over 3 to 4 pitches he will never be a MLB starter.

FYI - Chapman prefers being the Closer, he was very vocal about it this off season. And there is nothing wrong with Chapman being a closer.
^^^^^^^ This.
Hated hearing the idea of moving Chapman to a starting roll last season and this season is no different.

I expect 90 or so wins and a WC appearance in the playoffs. The Reds could get hot and win the whole thing but realistically NLDS is the ceiling this year.

Bailey has said he is willing to give the team a discount to free up money for other players because he wants to stay in Cincinnati. I bet a 6 or 7 year deal gets done for $11MM to $12MM per season. Bailey is willing to leave some money on the table.
No possible way in the world that happens at that price. If so, it would have already happened. Bailey's people and the Reds have been negotiating for much of the offseason. Bailey is asking for $11.6 mm this year in arbitration, but he'd be leaving leaving at least $40 mm on the table if he took 7/$84 as you are suggesting.

Then there's the fact that 6-7 year deals for pitchers never work out. I wouldn't want Walt to sign him for that long. Too much risk involved.

But we'll know in the next few weeks. I don't know exactly when his arbitration hearing is scheduled, but I think they all have to be wrapped up by Feb. 21.

I do not think the Reds a serious contender this year. If Hamilton hits better than he has than they have a chance but I do not see it happening. The pitching staff has to stay healthy this year. I think the Reds can make the playoffs but I do not think they can beat St. Louis for the division title.

Originally posted by qwesley:
Votto to the 2-hole .
those are just rumors
Yeah but it's something they need to do.

It may be too far gone to try Chapman as a starter but what bugs me is they've never really tried to develop him in that role. I know he's been pretty vocal about remaining the closer but it's just something that's seemed like a wasted opportunity. I guess it's better than paying Cordero 12 million a year to blow games. And luckily the starting pitching has been pretty good these past few years and has depth.

I'd go with this for a lineup.

1. Hamilton
2. Votto
3. Phillips
4. Bruce
5. Ludwick
6. Frazier
7. Mesoraco
8. Cozart

I don't care if they win 162 games, they will lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Expecting anything big from Cozart, Frazier, Mesoraco and Hamilton is crazy. Just not enough bats in this lineup.

BS. Chapman changed speeds on his fastball more and more last year when he realized he didn't need to throw 100 every pitch.

Steve Carlton had a decent career with the exact same pitches.

Btw...did you watch Bailey last year?

"Learning" how to be a starter has more weight on the decision with Chapman than the # of pitches he has in his repertoire.

Knowing I have Chapman taking the mound every 5th day versus going a week w/o ever seeing action (which happened on occasion) gives the Reds a lot more ammo.

Originally posted by cole854:
BS. Chapman changed speeds on his fastball more and more last year when he realized he didn't need to throw 100 every pitch.

Steve Carlton had a decent career with the exact same pitches.

Btw...did you watch Bailey last year?

"Learning" how to be a starter has more weight on the decision with Chapman than the # of pitches he has in his repertoire.

Knowing I have Chapman taking the mound every 5th day versus going a week w/o ever seeing action (which happened on occasion) gives the Reds a lot more ammo.

Exactly. Chapman coming in and pitching the 9th with a 2-3 run lead does absolutely nothing for this team. There are a number of guys on our roster that can do that. Chapman has basically the same numbers that CoCo Cordero had for the Reds, and people hated him. Chapman is being completely wasted in the bullpen, and its a joke.

Not to mention, the same people that are saying Cingrani is going to be a great starter are the same ones that are saying Chapman cant start because he only has two pitches. Do you guys not watch Cingrani pitch?? He has two pitches. That's it. And while Chapman only has two pitches, they are wayyy more effective than Cingrani's and Chapman has much better control than Cingrani.

Chapman is a once in a generation arm and talent that is being wasted in the most overrated spot in baseball. People that want him in the closer role just think its neato to see him throw 103mph in the 9th with the team up 5-2. It does not impress me in the least.

If the Reds are planning on keeping Chapman as a closer I would rather they trade him. He has more value as a trade chip than a closer is worth in my opinion. I would also hate to see the Reds lose Bailey for a draft pick. If u can't sign him he has to be traded

They will trade Bailey, most likely it will fix a lot of there other problems as far as organizational depth. He would absolutely land a BIG haul, young and most likely will be one of the better pitchers available at the deadline.

Reds might be better than you think. Pitching had a lot of injuries last year which are not likely to happen again. Offensively, they need for several young guys to improve, namely Mesaraco, Cozart and Frazier. It is not inconceivable they could each go up 20 points in BA which would make a huge difference.

With Dusty gone I have high hopes! I think pitching will be solid. I think they will add one more bat to the lineup. I hate that we lost Choo. My guess is that we will make it to the Divisional Series.

the cards, braves, nationals and dodgers "should" be locks for the playoffs. that only leaves one spot remaining. the reds are in the next group of teams that if things go their way, lack of injuries, a little luck, then they should be in the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT