ADVERTISEMENT

What does Tony Barbee bring to the table?

Cal needs to put people who know what they are doing on his staff rather than his buddies that he golfs with in the summer. It’s ok if Cal might not be good with X’s and O’s, but the assistants need to make up for that.

He's Cal's boy. Nothing more and nothing less. And he's no different than Robin Robic, that's the problem. Cal's entire staff is now made up of nothing but yes men. 2 of our assistants are literally dugout moms.

I can't believe this fan base didn't take a collective shit when he hired Bruiser Flint. At that point is was obvious UK's bench became Cal's clubhouse.

He's Cal's boy. Nothing more and nothing less. And he's no different than Robin Robic, that's the problem. Cal's entire staff is now made up of nothing but yes men. 2 of our assistants are literally dugout moms.

I can't believe this fan base didn't take a collective shit when he hired Bruiser Flint. At that point is was obvious UK's bench became Cal's clubhouse.
bet your sweet ass a few of us did. That was Cal opening up his rectum and squeezing out a fat dook right in our collective mouths. I mean I know you know Morg, but the people who don't see that Cal is cashing his checks, getting his boys big paid, laughing at the fans to their face, telling the university and Mitch to suck it. Guy has giant balls, got to give him that.

bet your sweet ass a few of us did. That was Cal opening up his rectum and squeezing out a fat dook right in our collective mouths. I mean I know you know Morg, but the people who don't see that Cal is cashing his checks, getting his boys big paid, laughing at the fans to their face, telling the university and Mitch to suck it. Guy has giant balls, got to give him that.

😂

If we're not there for practice, for recruiting visits, team meetings, film study, game planning, sideline huddles...hell, if we've never spoken to him in person and talked about basketball...how on earth would we possibly know? Are we supposed to know what he brings to the table just by seeing him three times per game, for 5 seconds each, on TV?

To answer the OP question what does Barbee (Barbie) bring to the team?

I think its loyalty to Cal I think he has Cals back no matter what and agrees with Cal (yes man per say).
NOW with that said.... I am not sure that's what Cal needs I think he needs someone to help push him, keep him current and challenge him to keep his coaching drive focused.

I'm not qualified to know what any assistant coach brings to the table, but we wouldn't bring in a failed coach to coach us, so where is the logic to bring in a failed coach to be an assistant?

I didn't agree with that when Tubby brought in Hobbs, and I certainly don't agree with it now.

I understand that in order to be a head coach somewhere they had to be a great assistant at one time, but now they have to go from being a decision maker to the guy that follows orders, that implements a system that isn't his own (and likely isn't fully committed to) not to mention the pay cut, the additional work that he deems beneath him

and its likely why they aren't hired anywhere else in a top tier program except for a former friend or mentor.

so I have nothing against Barbee or Flint, they might be great assistant coaches for all I know, but I"m totally against the idea of bringing in a failed former coach that is expected to be high energy and full of fire.

Last edited:
I'm not qualified to know what any assistant coach brings to the table, but we wouldn't bring in a failed coach to coach us, so where is the logic to bring in a failed coach to be an assistant?

I didn't agree with that when Tubby brought in Hobbs, and I certainly don't agree with it now.

I understand that in order to be a head coach somewhere they had to be a great assistant at one time, but now they have to go from being a decision maker to the guy that follows orders, that implements a system that isn't his own (and likely isn't fully committed to) not to mention the pay cut, the additional work that he deems beneath him

and its likely why they aren't hired anywhere else in a top tier program except for a former friend or mentor.

so I have nothing against Barbee or Flint, they might be great assistant coaches for all I know, but I"m totally against the idea of bringing in a failed former coach that is expected to be high energy and full of fire.

Actually successful assistant coaches should;
- be loyal to the head coach and program.
- constantly interact with other coaches and players.
- help balance out the head coaches demeanor aka good cop bad cop.
- help sell the program to potential players, parents, fans and students.
- NEVER undermined the head coach in front of the team, if they disagree do this in private.
- always look for ways to improve the team (assistants see little things the head coach may not see in 1 on 1 works outs or individual position work outs).
- individual 1 on 1 workouts that work around the student athletes schedule.
- 1st at practice last to leave.
- innovative and creative and willing to think out side the box.
- break down film on games, very assistant will be more specialized in certain positions.
- pay attention in games to help find weakness in the other teams game (backdoor cuts, foul trouble players ect).
- help create energy for the team.
- eyes and ears for the head coach for on court as well as off court issues.
- help keep team chemistry
- HELP DEVELOPE players

barbust.jpg

Barbee was a big loser at Auburn, I think he needs to go.
A lot of failed head coaches make good assistants. Some just aren’t fit to lead a program. Hell the HC at the last school I worked at failed miserably and had numerous assistant coach offers not long after he “resigned” but he decided to get out of coaching so he can watch his kids play in HS and college since he rarely got to see it before. He did a lot of things really well, was a fantastic fundraiser, good recruiter (until losses started piling up consistently), and the players generally were exemplary off the court, but as far as the in-game coaching aspect he was not good at all. Play calls were terrible in crunch time, rarely did they ever bounce back from halftime deficits, nary made in-game adjustments, rotations and minutes distribution were astonishingly poorly decided, etc.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow

It takes different qualities to be a good head coach than a good assistant. Some just don’t have what it takes to be the HC but are plenty fine as an assistant.

It’s just like with any business, you got people who are good middle managers but aren’t fit to be a CEO. Would you not hire them to be a middle manager just because they aren’t a good CEO?

Or to take a football example. Eddie Gran was the OC and RB coach. There’s no denying he was fantastic with coaching the run game and recruiting/developing the RBs, but the consensus very much seems to be that he did not overall do a good job as an OC. He’ll easily find himself as an RB coach somewhere before next season and he’ll probably be great at that job.

It takes different qualities to be a good head coach than a good assistant. Some just don’t have what it takes to be the HC but are plenty fine as an assistant.

It’s just like with any business, you got people who are good middle managers but aren’t fit to be a CEO. Would you not hire them to be a middle manager just because they aren’t a good CEO?

Or to take a football example. Eddie Gran was the OC and RB coach. There’s no denying he was fantastic with coaching the run game and recruiting/developing the RBs, but the consensus very much seems to be that he did not overall do a good job as an OC. He’ll easily find himself as an RB coach somewhere before next season and he’ll probably be great at that job.
Surely, the Peter Principle applies to coaching ...

Ive been saying this. Barbee is a waste of coaching. In all the games ive seen him coach ONCE. Usually he's just slouched back in that seat with his arms crossed like a bored kid in study hall.

In all fairness and coming from someone who has sit behind the benches. Cal tells his assistants to hush a lot. That includes KP when he was here. Cal want's his voice to be the only one heard. There's video of him hushing them out there.

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow
The fellowship must be crawling out of bed right about now making their daily Kentucky sucks threads.

The fans that don't accept when UK is below UK standards are what has kept this program on top. And those that go all in on a coach and don't do that are why we end up in trouble.

Last edited:
I think Barbee and Flint are in charge of working on turnovers. Those have really increased, so good job there.

Justus is in charge of modernizing the offense. Mission accomplished.

Robic is in charge of game prep, we always look incredibly prepared.

Just a killer staff. The best money can buy. No need to ever change it.

Some call it CLOD. Im going with Baby Bottle Brigade. I like Fellowship too though. Big Lord of the Rings fan.

Correction. 1 guy calls it CLOD. The same guy who wanted to keep Tubby Smith. Yea.

No one else really does it except, like, 2 posters who follow his lead. It's not even a small minority, it's just a few people.

I'm not really impressed with Bruiser or Barbee but I don't know enough about the situation to know exactly what they do. It does look like he wants his former players around, I would like to see a former Kentucky player on the staff if he is going to keep adding to his staff like this.

Reactions: morgousky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT