ADVERTISEMENT

What do you believe Cals objective is?

What’s Cal Real Objective at Kentucky?

• To win Championships

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • To Get Guys to the League

Votes: 113 91.9%

• Total voters
Unless he is deliberately trying to lose games his obvious priority is to get guys in the nba at the expense of giving us the best chance to win.
No other possible reason he would not start and play two lottery picks as many minutes as they can play. As a lifelong UK fan I resent what he has done to our program.

Unless he is deliberately trying to lose games his obvious priority is to get guys in the nba at the expense of giving us the best chance to win.
No other possible reason he would not start and play two lottery picks as many minutes as they can play. As a lifelong UK fan I resent what he has done to our program.
But does he care about winning another championship? You could argue he doesn’t care anymore, he’s main priority is getting these guys to the next level.

Cal is a great boss. He is 100% pro employee. He is the boss all the former employees compare future bosses too. He will do anything to get the employees the most money and success, even at the expense of his employer.

He is a terrible employee himself though as he has grown lazy and does not give 100% and make adjustments needed to give his employer successes.

Cal is in the one profession this would be allowed and not fired immediately years ago. Thanks Mitch.

I’m not saying Mitch and Calipari are agents that infiltrated UK MBB in an attempt to destroy it from the inside, but if they were, what would they be doing differently?

I think his first 7 years here, his priority really was to win championships. He was hungry. First to prove that he could win a title, then to see if he could make history and go 40-0. Getting people to the league did matter to him, probably more than it should've, but he used that to fuel recruiting and it worked well.

I don't think what changed was that he all of the sudden cared more about putting guys in the league. I think what changed is he lost his fire and motivation. He got put in the hall of fame. He got a lifetime contract. Why bust your ass and lose sleep over every single game when no matter what happens you are getting paid $9 million a year. I'm sure most everyone has gone through phases at their job where they are kind of going through the motions and doing the bare minimum. Well thats what Cal has the luxury to do now, with no incentive to change.

I think his first 7 years here, his priority really was to win championships. He was hungry. First to prove that he could win a title, then to see if he could make history and go 40-0. Getting people to the league did matter to him, probably more than it should've, but he used that to fuel recruiting and it worked well.

I don't think what changed was that he all of the sudden cared more about putting guys in the league. I think what changed is he lost his fire and motivation. He got put in the hall of fame. He got a lifetime contract. Why bust your ass and lose sleep over every single game when no matter what happens you are getting paid $9 million a year. I'm sure most everyone has gone through phases at their job where they are kind of going through the motions and doing the bare minimum. Well thats what Cal has the luxury to do now, with no incentive to change.
He has no conscience. How could ANYONE with an ounce of integrity be okay with doing garbage work year in and year out? I know I couldn't.

I'll defer to Calipari. His goal is train players to play professional basketball.

Read almost any thread. People act amazed and surprised. They are pretending or have the memories of goldfish. Calipari sees his job as training guys to play basketball professionally. Which he does extraordinarily well.

At the start of his career, with the players he had, that looked like traditional basketball coaching. That was a coincidence. He has consistently done what he said at the start that he would do. Even now when he doesn't have the same kind of players.

I think he came here wanting to win, used the nba stuff to recruit, and at some point bought into his own bull shit and shifted to getting guys to the league being the priority.

And he may have done it because bought into his own bullshit, or it may have been the fact that he decided winning championships was too hard.

Either way, at this point he’s thrown too many games for the sake of individual players for me to believe titles are still his primary focus.

Reactions: crestcat
For anyone who voted for putting kids in the NBA.... Congrats, youre as smart as a top high school
recruit, It worked.

Go to a game, any UK game and just watch him for 10 secs. If you can tell yourself that Cal doesn't really want to win, you need therapy. Results aren't good, but the desire is 10 x's any opposing coach.

Cal's not sticking someone in just to win a game. The draft is his only goal and he said that his first year here.
When you go to a car dealership, and the guys says he wants to get you the best deal possible.....you believe him dont you?

To become the richest man in world history. Croesus, Rothschild, Walton, Bezos. Everyone will compare their wealth to Cal. The Bluegrass will be a wasteland of paupers and beggars.

I believe Cal wants to win but that is not, or ever was, his objective. It’s players first and always has been. Winning was always secondary as a product of players first. 20 years ago when the playing field wasn’t so level, that would have worked. Through in NIL, transfers, portal, all the rest the ish that the NCAA lost control of…. Hell, who could have kept control? Especially with a man that thought he was a basketball God. Times passed his lazy a$$ up. He has become as irrelevant as Pitino. I hope the UK program gets better in time… not only because of him, but in spite of him.

Reactions: CBBCrazy
What do you think?
Himself. Cal wants to be the well known Good Samaritan. So breaking generational poverty is what he wants to be known for. He goes the extra mile to make sure everyone knows about it. Ultimately it’s to feed his ego. He loves hearing he’s great wins don’t matter whatever he needs to do to grease the ego is what he does.

His goal is to win games and help his kids reach their dreams. We can argue how important the second part is to being a college basketball coach.

For folks that think Cal only plays his draft guys. Take a look at who leads the team in MPG and go try to find those guys on draft boards.

He plays the hyped freshmen more because of promises! Tell me which freshmen leads the team in MPG? I’ll give you a hint, it’s the 6’2 white mustached kid that no one had on a draft board preseason.

I think Cal wants to win. My issue is he's doing the old man thing which is forgetting it's impossible to skip to March. I think he loves the NCAA Tournament and everything he thinks about is what will happen then. Problem is you have to get there first. There's a season to be played and it's proven it's best to get as high of a seed as possible to contend/win it. Older coaches tend to want to skip steps and Cal has shown this to be his behavior. There was a time Mack Brown was called "The King of February" as a FB coach because he'd have a top class, get a bunch of commitments for the following year after his first Junior Day, and hype everything up and talk of what he couldn't wait to do and then season came.....and he'd piss down his leg.

Old dogs burn out. Cal loves the money as anyone would-and he loves the players/wants to win but skipping steps is first sign of decline. You can't skip steps and be successful. More importantly you can't skip steps and expect your players to be locked in.

Reactions: CUJO_1970
RMs4lCi.png

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainBoogerBuns
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT