ADVERTISEMENT

What Calipari said after today's game

In this day and age, being able to switch up when your man defense is giving up layups and open looks is not a bad thing. We were really good at closing passing lanes out of the zone and denying the ball. It may not have worked against Vermont because they had 4 players on the court all the time that could hit a 3. But this team running zone in stints will win us some ball games later on in the season.
That would be a great idea if we were fielding a team full of veterans, but Cal hasn't even had enough practices to this point in the season to even teach them how to warm up properly. When is he supposed to get these kids proficient in a zone? I think perfecting M2M and some kind of an offense is more important.
Also, if you listen to coaches that teach zone they will tell you that running a zone defense is as difficult as running any m2m defense.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Several HOF coaches with recent titles mix in zone.
Zone being automatic for more open 3s is a misnomer. Can be extended.
You can love Cal but question his ability to make defensive adjustments.

I go back to the UCONN title game, we got shredded to start, went zone and stemmed the tide and got back in the game, and then abandoned.

He said a lot of things I really liked. He, of course sees all the same things that we are all talking about.
He also said he would like to see 7 or 8 more 3 point shot attempts per game. I like hearing that and I agree.
Man I hope he can figure out some kind of a junk defense to use to slow KU's guards down Tuesday night. Cal has his work cut out for him that's for damn sure.

Needs to go zone some. Even with KU shooters when you have the kind of links Kentucky he has you can close out on Shooters quickly.... also makes it very difficult to pass against that kind of length. If we play man-to-man the whole night against Kansas we lose by 20... because our guards cannot guard a turtle right now

Reactions: KyFaninNC
There's a "w" missing in your post "hoss".
Oh, so it's about fan enjoyment now? I thought it was about winning? You know, something Cal has done more than any other coach the last 10 years?

Dude you come off as a lunatic, not a fan. Cal's the best. People like you that act like soemone wants him fired because they mention a few minutes of zone on a discussion board are sad, sad people. Wow.

According to NCAA.com's 3 point percentage efficiency rankings from last year UK ranked 12th, Syracuse ranked 138th. Yeah, we should switch to zone like immediately. Hilarious.
If I had more time I would go through and list the rankings for all zone only schools and compare them to where UK ranks each year for both 3 point defensive efficiency and total defensive efficiency, but I don't really think you pro zone people will want to see those numbers.

People suggested a few minutes of zone here and there when appropriate.... You can't handle that so you act like people want 40 minutes of zone. So since you bend the discussion to meet your rants, to Ignore you go. What a whack job.

Dude you come off as a lunatic, not a fan. Cal's the best. People like you that act like soemone wants him fired because they mention a few minutes of zone on a discussion board are sad, sad people. Wow.
At least call me "dude", no need to call me "Duke".
Also, I've been more than critical of Cal in the past, especially after the Wisconsin loss.
But what you aren't comprehending is the fact that Cal has a plan in place and he knows he has to stay the course. He doesn't have enough time in the season to start trying to put too much in front of these kids to learn. They just don't have that much time and I understand that.

People suggested a few minutes of zone here and there when appropriate.... You can't handle that so you act like people want 40 minutes of zone. So since you bend the discussion to meet your rants, to Ignore you go. What a whack job.
LMAO

Several HOF coaches with recent titles mix in zone.
Zone being automatic for more open 3s is a misnomer. Can be extended.
You can love Cal but question his ability to make defensive adjustments.

I go back to the UCONN title game, we got shredded to start, went zone and stemmed the tide and got back in the game, and then abandoned.

I totally agree with the UConn assessment.

But the huskies didn’t have 4-5 players who could hit 3’s.

Extending the zone vs Vermont might have allowed their pg to carve us up even more.

Do you really want to compare Cal's stats to Boeheim's? At least Cal is in the hunt almost every year.
Zone isn't the answer, that was my point. Syracuse goes down the any team that can shoot or penetrate the zone.
A well designed M2M with good athletes is far more effective than a zone.

Nope. I simply stated that they both have only one title. Frankly that is what I want to see, more titles, the hell with stats.

Reactions: kyjeff1
Nope. I simply stated that they both have only one title. Frankly that is what I want to see, more titles, the hell with stats.

I can attest that you have been a title or bust fan for as long as I’ve known you.

It is very tough to win these and one thing for sure is that the OAD has been the reason for our success not the lack of titles.

I put 3 missed chances on Cal’s coaching and one on poor shooting. (Injuries hurt a couple of times).

Cal has more than proven his m2m defensive schemes are more than just effective. Heck, UK is one of, if not the best defensive team more times than not and that's while playing freshmen and sophomores.
How often is Syracuse at the top of the defensive efficiency rankings?

That doesn't change the fact that yesterday the M2M defense in the 2nd half was not effective, AT ALL......

Anyone suggesting you zone a 3 point shooting team is not thinking clearly. Should a coach have a zone in his back pocket to use at times? A lot of us would say yes. But to think that Vermont was one of those times defies basketball 101.

As for Cal's comments on wanting 6/7 more threes a game, well let's just say that's very revealing. IMO, means Cal realizes he doesn't have much of a low post game nor anyone who's a real threat off the bounce or able to create his own shot. The big question in my mind is who does he want taking those shots?

Is there even a 35%er on this squad (sans maybe Baker). If someone CAN step up and be a reliable threat it certainly would open up other things. As bad as the defense is, the half-court offense is much further behind.

I can attest that you have been a title or bust fan for as long as I’ve known you.

It is very tough to win these and one thing for sure is that the OAD has been the reason for our success not the lack of titles.

I put 3 missed chances on Cal’s coaching and one on poor shooting. (Injuries hurt a couple of times).

Agreed that Cal and the OAD he recruits have given us more chances, he just needs to figure why he don’t get over the hump more. You are spot on about the three times, and I agree titles are hard to win. Nothing wrong with wanting our coach to have a few more weapons or wrinkles to use to get over thst hump.

Reactions: brianpoe
I feel sorry for people like you that can’t have a discussion without getting bent out of shape. A zone a few minutes a game is not a zone all the time. It’s entertainment. It’s fun to discuss for most of us. Get laid if you can.

I agree , he was busting my chops in another thread in a manner that was rude as heck , its hard to remember that we all root for the same bunch sometimes , its dog eat dog on here these days ( no Cats allowed ??)

I agree , he was busting my chops in another thread in a manner that was rude as heck , its hard to remember that we all root for the same bunch sometimes , its dog eat dog on here these days ( no Cats allowed ??)

She's the small minority with mental issues that wants to control what's posted in an opinion forum, LOL. Good luck wiht that.... Just put her on ignore.

They wouldnt of gotten any more of an open 3 against the zone than they did against our man 2 man....

the real argument for going zone in that game yesterday is that we could of disrupted their passing and probably of gotten more steals with our wingspan.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
That doesn't change the fact that yesterday the M2M defense in the 2nd half was not effective, AT ALL......
0h I can't disagree with you on that, but the last thing you want to do is give a hot shooting team even more wide open looks. I realize our defense was bad, but we can't act like our guys didn't take away a single open look. Vermont made 11, but if you zone them there is no way you're going to be able to get in front of those shooters fast enough. This is the reason why Syracuse and Baylor will always rank in the triple digits in 3pt field goal % defense.
The zone worked against Utah Valley because they weren't a good outside shooting team, but do that against Vermont and you're going to give up even more open looks from deep. Numbers don't lie.
Also, Cal is going to have this team ranked in the top ten in total defensive efficiency by March, but he's going to need to use every second of game and practice time to get them there. Every second they switch to a zone is taking time away from getting better at m2m. He has 3 months to accomplish what everyone else has 3 years to accomplish.

She's the small minority with mental issues that wants to control what's posted in an opinion forum, LOL. Good luck wiht that.... Just put her on ignore.
So it's okay for you to hall off and call people names, but you don't like it the second someone squares up with you and fires back. That's on you. Remember, you're the one that threw the first punch.

That's right, tell only half the story.
You said the IQ level of our basketball team was "full retard level". So yeah, you said nothing wrong at all I guess.
Guess I should have expected that a large number of our fans would still trash our guys from day 1 even though they are just freshmen playing against Juniors and Seniors.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Anyone suggesting you zone a 3 point shooting team is not thinking clearly. Should a coach have a zone in his back pocket to use at times? A lot of us would say yes. But to think that Vermont was one of those times defies basketball 101.

As for Cal's comments on wanting 6/7 more threes a game, well let's just say that's very revealing. IMO, means Cal realizes he doesn't have much of a low post game nor anyone who's a real threat off the bounce or able to create his own shot. The big question in my mind is who does he want taking those shots?

Is there even a 35%er on this squad (sans maybe Baker). If someone CAN step up and be a reliable threat it certainly would open up other things. As bad as the defense is, the half-court offense is much further behind.
I don't think Cal's comments about taking more threes meant anything more than he simply likes to see his teams shoot a certain amount of them each game and this team is passing up wide open threes while trying too hard to work the ball inside.
Or at least that's how I took it.

That's right, tell only half the story.
You said the IQ level of our basketball team was "full retard level". So yeah, you said nothing wrong at all I guess.
Guess I should have expected that a large number of our fans would still trash our guys from day 1 even though they are just freshmen playing against Juniors and Seniors.

we are always going to play freshman against older guys .. it's Cal's way . you also made remarks stating i must not have ever played any hoops beyond rec level , and you were an ass in general. i also ask several questions if you though our 3 pt D was ok the last 4 minutes and you never replied , just stayed in attack mode .. so i'm going to follow the other poster and to ignore you go . see ya

0h I can't disagree with you on that, but the last thing you want to do is give a hot shooting team even more wide open looks. I realize our defense was bad, but we can't act like our guys didn't take away a single open look. Vermont made 11, but if you zone them there is no way you're going to be able to get in front of those shooters fast enough. This is the reason why Syracuse and Baylor will always rank in the triple digits in 3pt field goal % defense.
The zone worked against Utah Valley because they weren't a good outside shooting team, but do that against Vermont and you're going to give up even more open looks from deep. Numbers don't lie.
Also, Cal is going to have this team ranked in the top ten in total defensive efficiency by March, but he's going to need to use every second of game and practice time to get them there. Every second they switch to a zone is taking time away from getting better at m2m. He has 3 months to accomplish what everyone else has 3 years to accomplish.

The team will improve their M2M with practice and yes while playing the games themselves, however they aren't just going to start defending their man better out of the clear blue sky. They were having trouble yesterday and it wasn't going to just fix itself. A zone defense is not utilized to force the other team to shoot wide open threes. If that is what it was designed for then yes I'd agree you don't zone a 3 pt shooting team., but a zone defense can be effectively used to force tougher 3 point looks than they were getting from the pick and pop against our M2M. You can't get more wide open than their shooters were getting yesterday in the 2nd half.

Again not lobbying for a switch to it for the full game but at least a few possessions will not hurt to see how effective it is when all you are doing is giving up easy looks with the M2M.

^^ I agree . I was working outside , came back in to watch the last 4 minutes where they open 3 after open 3 after open 3 . I'm screaming at the set to make them put it on the floor , no jumpers period ! And we somehow gave up an open 3 with 15 seconds left ( no the last one , the next to last ) and a 3 pint lead , we gave up the only shot to tie us , and fouled that guy at the rim on an easy lay up attempt that he missed . It was extremely poor the last 4 minutes.

The team will improve their M2M with practice and yes while playing the games themselves, however they aren't just going to start defending their man better out of the clear blue sky. They were having trouble yesterday and it wasn't going to just fix itself. A zone defense is not utilized to force the other team to shoot wide open threes. If that is what it was designed for then yes I'd agree you don't zone a 3 pt shooting team., but a zone defense can be effectively used to force tougher 3 point looks than they were getting from the pick and pop against our M2M. You can't get more wide open than their shooters were getting yesterday in the 2nd half.

Again not lobbying for a switch to it for the full game but at least a few possessions will not hurt to see how effective it is when all you are doing is giving up easy looks with the M2M.
You make some very valid points, but I think I do as well.
I agree that there were some blown defensive assignments that created wide open looks for Vermont, but there were a lot of times where our guys were in the correct position, but they simply sagged to prevent the blow by. I guess they didn't thing Vermont could make those shots even though they already made 8+.
Bottom line is these kids don't have a clue how to defend a seasoned college guard.

^^ I agree . I was working outside , came back in to watch the last 4 minutes where they open 3 after open 3 after open 3 . I'm screaming at the set to make them put it on the floor , no jumpers period ! And we somehow gave up an open 3 with 15 seconds left ( no the last one , the next to last ) and a 3 pint lead , we gave up the only shot to tie us , and fouled that guy at the rim on an easy lay up attempt that he missed . It was extremely poor the last 4 minutes.
And I'm the guy whose over the top? Read what is quoted and remember just how young our team is.
Oh and then there's the little tidbit you left out, you know, the one where you said our players' basketball IQ was "full retard". Why did you leave that part out? If you're going to tell the story make sure you tell the whole story.

we are always going to play freshman against older guys .. it's Cal's way . you also made remarks stating i must not have ever played any hoops beyond rec level , and you were an ass in general. i also ask several questions if you though our 3 pt D was ok the last 4 minutes and you never replied , just stayed in attack mode .. so i'm going to follow the other poster and to ignore you go . see ya
Tell me what I said that makes you say I was being an ass? Because I tried to put things in perspective for you while you were calling our players retards? You and @Cardsstink are trying to deflect and make it sound like I'm the asshole here, but I'm the one that is defending Cal and this team. You guys are throwing a fit and trying to convince everyone that I'm the problem. That's hilarious. You should read your own comments.
And yes, I did say I was surprised that you are a coach at some level. Someone that coaches should understand just how hard this is.
Also, someone that has played above a recreational level should also know how difficult this is. But apparently you don't. Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that you are a coach and that you played at a higher level than your local YMCA.

Tell me what I said that makes you say I was being an ass? Because I tried to put things in perspective for you while you were calling our players retards? You and @Cardsstink are trying to deflect and make it sound like I'm the asshole here, but I'm the one that is defending Cal and this team. You guys are throwing a fit and trying to convince everyone that I'm the problem. That's hilarious. You should read your own comments.
And yes, I did say I was surprised that you are a coach at some level. Someone that coaches should understand just how hard this is.
Also, someone that has played above a recreational level should also know how difficult this is. But apparently you don't. Sorry, I just find it hard to believe that you are a coach and that you played at a higher level than your local YMCA.

Pretty sure he’s not a legit coach judging by some of his opinions on basketball/ the team in general.

Pretty sure he’s not a legit coach judging by some of his opinions on basketball/ the team in general.
Yeah I don't think he is either. I guess it's just easier to get mad at the guy that called him out than for him to just admit he went overboard with the criticism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT