ADVERTISEMENT

What are your thoughts on the federal debt

JumperJack

All-American
Oct 30, 2002
with this proposed stimulus, that’s 24, 25 trillion?

What is the tipping point that we can’t pay?
How can we reverse it? Or is it too late?
What will it look like when government is insolvent?

Thoughts?

At some point the bubble will pop and the US dollar will fall like a meteor. That's when the world plunges into a depression.
That's why I'm holding a substantial amount of interest in a gold ETF and also some in Bitcoin which could ignite anyday now.

Who cares, I've been hearing people cry about our national debt for more than 30 years. It's always been a crises and the end of our economy. Despite the rapid escalation on a near yearly basis....nothing.

Last edited:
Ken Fisher says the debt isn't an issue because interest rates are low and the interest payments are a lower percentage of revenues than they were in the 80's and 90's. I don't know if he is right, but the huge amount of debt does worry me. Spending is out of control and I believe it will be an issue at some point. I'm not a fan of the current stimulus package. I'll cash the check if they send me one, though.

Not worrying about it. But all federal pensions should be frozen for congress till it is addressed. Meantime they don’t care, so neither do I

Unsustainable after $1.5T added in 2017. Unfathomable now. Once this is over we need to get back to paying it down gradually like after the 2008 financial meltdown.

Last edited:
I’d like to see it get back to 70% of GDP instead of 110%. But right now is not the time. I’m not worried at all about the debt that is being added for this crisis. Eventually though, we will have to raise taxes and be willing to cut some military spending. I just don’t see enough in other programs to make a meaningful difference.

I think of it in terms of a mortgage (although not exactly). My first house cost about 3x my annual salary. It allowed me to live better. If I had waited to pay cash, the price of the house would have been going up as fast or faster than I could save. Plus, I had to pay to live somewhere anyway.

It's a bit worrisome that the growth of the debt > growth in GDP. That's usually a bad sign. Policy-wise, the biggest problem I have with current Administration is the spending. No reason in relatively good economic times to run up $1 trillion of new debt every year.

The US Treasury publishes monthly statements, including the federal debt. There are at least two places in the web where you can find the monthly statements (single page summaries) going back multiple decades. The most interesting and important detail is that the statement literally details what % of the debt is owned by the govt. and what % by the people. Until several years ago, the % owned by the govt was always a clear majority 2/3ds - 3/4. It became near 50-50 several years ago. This is cause for alarm.

Is the actual amount significant? That is a difficult question. But it is important to understand what causes the federal debt to rise more than anything else. And what is that?

For example, the process of "borrowing money from China", as our economists refer to it. This, yes, does cause the debt to rise. And the rate is commensurate with the consumption and price of a particular commodity, OPEC crude.

Many of you might find yourselves disagreeing with the interpretation (borrowing from China), when the Chinese literally exchange their currency for US Treasury notes in order to purchase from OPEC. And it is necessary to understand the OPEC agreement, why the US dollar is the almighty God for doing business for this commodity.

The reason the dollar is the world's strongest currency is because it is used to measure the majority of the world's value. If and when that day comes, that the dollar is used to measure a value, a worth, a wealth, the world over, less than the US Federal debt, the day of reckoning does come. And if ever the dollar were to lose it's leverage over the world oil market, that day comes sooner.

Burning question: how will this oil production battle between the Saudis and Russians play out? Not sure personally. But it would seem a very good strategy in the meantime would be to come up with a reason, any reason maybe, to lower world demand. Thanks Wuhan??

Reactions: ymmot31
Unsustainable after $1.5 added in 2017. Unfathomable now. Once this is over we need to get back to paying it down gradually like after the 2008 financial meltdown.

At some point, the US is going to have to get serious about debt reduction, which have to include cuts in . . . . well just about everything. As stated above, even in good times, we have tax cuts and run up $1T per year in deficits. It will come to a screeching halt one day and the "austerity" necessary to rectify the budget will be awful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT