ADVERTISEMENT

What are your opinions on of the baseball rule in CBB?

Wildcats520

Blue Chip Prospect
May 8, 2011
With reading through posts on this forum, I 100% guarantee I will be called a "troll" for this thread, but I am sure many of you think the same way.

It should not be necessary for players to go to college if they are good enough. They should be able to go pro right away and make money, their ultimate goal. BUT, if a player decides to go to college, he must play for at least three years. This would make the NCAA so much better and a lot more interesting in my opinion.

Yes, we wouldn't have gotten guys like Cousins, Wall, Davis, KAT, etc, but these high turnover rates on rosters are getting very tedious. We know what these players want (hint: the NBA) which obviously there is nothing wrong with that at all. But, like many others here, I am a fan of KENTUCKY and not the NBA.

Let me make this clear, these past 6 years with Cal have been amazing and he has coached so well under the current rules, but honestly I think it's time for a rule change so we don't have to keep seeing players leave so quickly.

What our players accomplished this year was unbelievable, and could have ended much better, but still it was a very exciting year. I am still very glad I got to see such a great team live against ND and WVU (thanks again BBNC).

Encourage the Anthony Davis's of the world to go pro if they are ready, and if they are not at that level, give them free education by playing basketball, all while preparing/practicing for the ultimate goal.

NBA is a game of efficiency, whereas college is a game of heart.

Thoughts? Give me your opinions

I would LOVE it.

We never would have had Wall or Davis, maybe even Randle (though his injury his senior season). But we would have had 3 seasons of knight, MKG, t-jones, the twins, lyles. KAT may have made the jump (or stayed one more year in HS)

I would love for Basketball to pickup the Baseball rule. I hate the One and Done rule. I don't follow any pro sports so watching guys for one year gets old.

my thoughts....why cant fans just change? why the need for all these new rules, etc. why cant fans just change?

College sports need to look out for their interest and not what's best for the NBA. College football has three years and so does baseball so why is it such an issue for basketball?

The rule actually is complete your junior year or reach your 21st birthday whichever comes first. Plenty of baseball guys have been drafted as a soph because they turned 21. Should be the same rule for basketball.

I think it would be great, as well. It's unlikely since it would have to be an NBA rule and it isn't in the best interest of the NBA to make the rule.

It would be best for both sports (NBA and College) to go to three years removed from high school and be done with it. if college is not for you then fine, the D-league has no age restrictions and you can refine your game for three years there. The NBA will never go back to allowing players straight from high school.

Maybe the best compromise under the current rule is you can opt for the D League for one year (which you can now) but if you go to college then you must be there at least 2 or 3 years before entering the draft.
This post was edited on 4/9 2:56 PM by cats2010

If a kid has the option to leave directly after high school then I think its a great idea. Otherwise you force a lot of guys to stay in school that otherwise would not.

Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
College sports need to look out for their interest and not what's best for the NBA. College football has three years and so does baseball so why is it such an issue for basketball?
Because it is a pro league rule, not a college rule. Colleges cannot force anybody to stay for 1, 2 or 3 years.

In theory it should work pretty well, but what you see very often in baseball is that the teams draft for potential. So, they take risks on younger players because they think the younger players will develop better. So, will NBA teams draft off of potential? Will they take those risks and favor the high school kids over the 3 year veterans that have grown up and proven themselves? The teams are looking for help now, but they also won't want to miss on a kid that could end up being a potential star. The Twins might be good examples. They are both pretty big guards with some NBA talent, but they arguably aren't even really NBA ready right now, muchless 2 years ago when they would have been drafted under this format. Yet, at that time they were both top 10 players in their class. So, would NBA GMs want to go ahead and give them a shot or would they have pushed them into college by taking older players? They might miss on them if they wait 3 years, but they also might find out they are busts. So, the NBA's draft techniques would really be one part of the success.

They could also help make it more successful by actually promoting and increasing the NBADL to a level where it is at least respectable and something people will attend like they do minor league baseball games. They would also have to increase the number of rounds to draft for the NBADL teams and change their contract structures. If they do this then they can still draft off of potential and still get players that are NBA ready.

What you often see in the MLB draft is teams taking a young high school player that isn't as big of a prospect in the late(r) rounds. Then they throw a whole lot of money at that guy in order to get him to sign. That way they can use their early picks on the players they are more confident in and then might be able to get some steals in the middle to late rounds by paying them money that does not really translate to the round they were drafted in. The whole process is extremely interesting IMO.

It has some good and bad parts.

Good - People deserve the chance to make money immediately if they are good enough.

Good - Two or Three years at a college would be a great investment to knowing these guys.

Bad - Would kill the early upsets we have seen recently in the tournament. The top teams have young talent, while the small and mid-majors have experience. That is why there are so many more high seed upsets recently.

Originally posted by AGEE11:
It has some good and bad parts.

Good - People deserve the chance to make money immediately if they are good enough.

Good - Two or Three years at a college would be a great investment to knowing these guys.

Bad - Would kill the early upsets we have seen recently in the tournament. The top teams have young talent, while the small and mid-majors have experience. That is why there are so many more high seed upsets recently.
you forgot 1 more bad
most of the top talent will go overseas, and there would be no AD's in the college game

I think the NBA and only the NBA can decide their hiring requirements and since they seem to have no interest in such a rule best one can hope is one day they decide it is in the interest of their league to bump it up another year or if you are inclined go back to the way it was before where the few cream of the crop and a few busts who usually couldn't qualify would go and then the rest would leave a year or maybe two like they do now anyway.

Maybe the players union and the owners could be sold on your compromise but I suspect we are probably looking at all the compromise either side can manage, college basketball and it's fans are not at the table.

Originally posted by bereaboy:
Originally posted by HeismanWildcat85:
Because it is a pro league rule, not a college rule. Colleges cannot force anybody to stay for 1, 2 or 3 years.
I don't know why people struggle to understand this.

I would love for the NBA to go to a modified baseball rule. In baseball, a player can be drafted and still choose to attend college based on draft position, money, etc. Basically, they don't need to make themselves eligible for draft, as they automatically are. In basketball, I would do a straight out of high school or 2 years after high school graduation rule, which would include the following:

1. Hold an invite only camp that includes high school seniors and college sophomores. Players would be invited based on recommendations from a panel of NBA "experts". After the camp is over, these experts provide players with input as to where they might be expected to be drafted, if at all. If you're not invited to this camp, it's a sign that NBA personnel do not believe you're ready for the draft. If you are selected to attend this camp, your transportation, housing and meals are paid for, and it does not effect your college eligibility.

2. If a player decides to enter the NBA draft, they then forfeit their amateurism, and are no longer eligible to play college basketball.

3. If a player decides to go to college (or overseas), they are not eligible for the NBA draft until 2 years after their high school class has graduated.

I think that's a great idea - baseball/football rule suits
Me just fine.
Remember the Suns drafted (which meant they owned
The draft rights to) Kyle Macy. He finished his eligibility.
Why can't this still be done? Why couldn't an NBA team
Draft Trey Lyles/Devin Booker & own the rights to him but tell him they
don't quite the he's ready but he's theirs when they decide
to take him in the future.

Just curious.

Don't like it because you'd have a handful of HIGH SCHOOL kids make a decision that could cost them everything if they chose to go pro and didn't get drafted.

The baseball rule applying to basketball is a selfish rule for fans of college teams, IMO.

A 19-year-old kid can play in the NBA. A 19-year-old can't play in the NFL (physically) and likely won't play in MLB.

A basketball player's prime earning years are age 19-35. Forcing them to play for free until they're 21 takes two years of earning ability off the table.

As a UK fan, I would love a baseball type rule, but if my son were a top basketball prospect, I'd prefer the current rule.

This post was edited on 4/9 4:01 PM by MegaBlue05

Originally posted by MegaBlue05:
Don't like it because you'd have a handful of HIGH SCHOOL kids make a decision that could cost them everything if they chose to go pro and didn't get drafted.

The baseball rule applying to basketball is a selfish rule for fans of college teams, IMO.

A 19-year-old kid can play in the NBA. A 19-year-old can't play in the NFL (physically) and likely won't play in MLB.

A basketball player's prime earning years are age 19-35. Forcing them to play for free until they're 21 takes two years of earning ability off the table.

As a UK fan, I would love a baseball type rule, but if my son were a top basketball prospect, I'd prefer the current rule.

This post was edited on 4/9 4:01 PM by MegaBlue05
In baseball the players do not have to go pro even if they are drafted. Only lose eligibility after signing with an agent. So, the player is drafted and they negotiate terms of a contract (which is often unfair because they aren't experienced enough to do this, and often times they might have some person helping them to negotiate). They have so long to decide whether to accept the contract or reject it. If they reject it then they attend the college that they committed to.

Now, problems with applying this to basketball are that if you are UK, for instance, and you expect a kid to come play for you and he doesn't and goes then you may have to do some sort of mad scramble to fill his position. Another problem with the idea in general is that the NBA does not have enough draft rounds to blow picks on people that may not sign. So, the NBA may have to increase their number of rounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT