ADVERTISEMENT

What are your expectations for next year?

Apr 15, 2024
What is a reasonable expectation the fanbase should have for the next 1 or 2 seasons?

Obviously Pope is getting started a little later than would be preferable, but it's still only mid-April and the portal is still growing daily, with some solid players still being available.

We are likely losing everything except Perry, and even he mentioned he still needed to speak with Pope about things first. So you are basically in complete rebuild mode, which makes me think next year could be a subpar year as far as overall results.

With a full season to build relationships with recruits and full season being able to identify more guys he would target as transfers that fit his vision, I think the 2nd year should be a solid improvement. I think the 3rd season will be the one where we know if he is going to make it or not.

It would be unreasonable to think the team will not have some decent players at every position. Might even be easier with all the playing time.

Reactions: jace2012
I would be meh with a top 8 seed tournament and winning 1 game. Not happy but OK.

Very encouraged with a sweet 16, through the moon if anything better than that.

Even beyond wins and losses and final results, we’ll be able to get a very good sense of Mark Pope’s potential to succeed here with how the season goes. I want to see him be able to recruit and light a fire under his players to get them to buy into his system. He’s got all the passion but the question is can he instill that same passion in his players? And recruit the level of players that can win big? I have a lot of faith in that.

Reactions: FiveStarCat
To win. He said it. I take people for their word and let's see who the staff is-that can open a lot of doors recruiting/portal wise as well. If you are going to talk shit when you get a job, then no time is given for failing the expectations.

Which is why most coaches talk differently at the "Pep Rally" then the job interview. He fired his shot and it's up to him to live up to it. So expectations are the same as always--win and win every game.

He got the job. Time to produce.

As of right now, with so much unknown about our roster but also hearing that Pope is confident he'll be able to field a good team of transfers, I'd say 20 wins.

I think that's decent for a first year.

Year one I expect to see his players play smart and hard, regardless of how talented they are. I think he will need a year on the big stage to show the world who he is and what he is about. His offense at BYU is a lot of fun but I'm not sure how many people know about it. Being able to showcase that at KY should get lots of attention. So year 2 is really where I expect to see things moving in the direction that we want.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
He has no excuses in today's college athletics landscape. With the portal and all the NIL UK has to offer, there is no reason he shouldn't be able to assemble a preseason top 20 team. None at all.

I am as excited as the next guy about Pope, but he needs to produce year one. This isn't the 90s where transfers had to sit out and there was no NIL...will be beyond disappointed if we aren't a 4-5 seed going into the tourney.

I’d like to see 20 wins and possibly making the NCAA tournament. Anything more than that is gravy

To win. He said it. I take people for their word and let's see who the staff is-that can open a lot of doors recruiting/portal wise as well. If you are going to talk shit when you get a job, then no time is given for failing the expectations.

Which is why most coaches talk differently at the "Pep Rally" then the job interview. He fired his shot and it's up to him to live up to it. So expectations are the same as always--win and win every game.

He got the job. Time to produce.

I agree with you 100%. They talked the talk, and now need to walk the walk. With the ridiculous NIL amounts we have now, no reason we shouldn't make the tournament and win at least 1 game. I've said final four competitive by year 3 and with all the NIL and advantages UK has that shouldn't be an issue.

I want to be competitive. I would say my measure of success for year 1 is making the tournament. I won’t flip out if we don’t because the day Cal left I mentioned giving the next guy a full pass his first year because he would be starting over from absolutely nothing.

I also understand that if the roster building cycle goes poorly that next year could be very rough W-L wise. I am looking for how hard the players play, what the system looks like, how recruiting the next year’s class goes, etc.

Reactions: Phil_The_Music
We’ve all seen the “Ridiculously Early Top 25”, well, this is a whole new level of early because there’s a current roster of 1.

I’m going to reserve expectations until the roster fills in, but I’m expecting some good entertainment just based on style.
This.
You tell me Shep and Thiero are coming back, we get PG Small from OSU and the two likely BYU transfers, plus the shooter from TCU, then I’d start feeling like we may be more than entertaining.

Even beyond wins and losses and final results, we’ll be able to get a very good sense of Mark Pope’s potential to succeed here with how the season goes. I want to see him be able to recruit and light a fire under his players to get them to buy into his system. He’s got all the passion but the question is can he instill that same passion in his players? And recruit the level of players that can win big? I have a lot of faith in that.
Great outlook.

I think some are freaking out over the roster exodus. Folks, it's nothing most of us didn't see coming.
I have absolutely every confidence that Mark Pope will fill the roster with experienced players that fit his style of play. It could be into June or July before we finalize the roster. Have patience.
I think we will surprise alot of people and be very competitive. Respectable showings in the SEC regular season and tourney and a couple of wins in the dance and I'll be happy.
Who knows, it could even be better.

Reactions: gbl97
With a complete rebuild? Pitino won 14 games his first year. We're not on probation, but Cal is basically stealing the entire cupboard.
He'll have the Portal-Pitino didn't. There are going to be over 3000-3500 players available not to mention HS players too. If you can't field a team that can make the NCAA Tournament now, it's a failure. It's Kentucky. He took the job. He talked of what he's going to do and placed his own expectations on the job/what fans should expect. If he felt differently, shouldn't have said it.

We'll know a lot by who he hires soon. Aside from that, he didn't have to say what he did-but he did. Now he's held to the standard. How life works.

With only one freshman if he stays KY might field an entire team of portal players next season.

He'll have the Portal-Pitino didn't. There are going to be over 3000-3500 players available not to mention HS players too. If you can't field a team that can make the NCAA Tournament now, it's a failure. It's Kentucky. He took the job. He talked of what he's going to do and placed his own expectations on the job/what fans should expect. If he felt differently, shouldn't have said it.

We'll know a lot by who he hires soon. Aside from that, he didn't have to say what he did-but he did. Now he's held to the standard. How life works.
What was he going to say Ralph ?
He wast going to come into Rupp and tell everybody that it was going to be a complete rebuild and that we shouldn't expect much. That wasn't happening.
Yes, he knows what he's gotten into but people should practice patience as he builds the roster for this season. We may not finalize it until June and that's ok, he can pick players that fit his style but at least they will have college experience. We will be fine, let's just give it time.

As of right now 10:13pm.....
10-32. Travis Perry is capable of winning 10 games with the 4 walk-on grade makers.
We have 1 player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT