ADVERTISEMENT

What are you listening to?

So, I’ve been listening to the late great Hound Dog Taylor. Started jamming out to his hit song, “Give Me Back My Wig”. When trying to find a video of Hound Dog playing it live, I came across this gem. SRV covering it and playing with a slide. In all the videos I’ve watched of SRV I don’t ever recall seeing him playing with a slide before. Love it!

So the past 4-5 days I've been going down the King Gizzard rabbit hole going all the way down to see what's on the other side. And the more I keep digging, the more I f'n love it.

Just insanely talented musicians who can actually jam and keep it dynamic and captivating. Sort of like a psychedelic Mars Volta with some math rock, 70s jam vibes, and metal thrown in. Their drummer must never skip leg days either, holy lord. The album recordings don't really do much justice to what they do live, but some of my favorite cuts I've recently dug into:

Drip, drip from the tap don't slip (don't slip on the drip)

(the lick at 5:35 is sublime)

Everything they recorded before 2020 had two drummers playing on just about every song. Played that way live too…with the drummers facing each other. You can see it here at the 0:30 mark on one of my favorites…

Reactions: It'saDoneDeal
Watching more than listening, because I'm trying to get this song down on the drums. Having a bastard of a time matching that insane tempo on the hi-hat "slurp" (rapid opening/closing between/during strikes), there is a reason drummers call that "pea soup:"

My wife is going to absolutely HATE this, when I get it down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT