ADVERTISEMENT

What are the biggest misconceptions about Kentucky fans?

Jul 28, 2016
Let's see what you got.

- Thinking the 2013 Robert Morris loss bothers us. No one cared. They wanted the season over with and so did Cal. The Vandy loss before that bothered us.

- I watched the Red vs Blue documentary about our rivalry with Louisville and this Louisville fan claimed that Kentucky fans don't know anything going on around the country regarding other teams, just their own team. Um that couldn't be further from the truth. Our fan base follows everything regarding anything to do w/ college basketball.

That I screwed my sister last night...while chewing a wad of tobacco...as a confederate flag flew on my front porch beside the washing machine. Oh, wait, that's Tennessee fans. Sorry.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
With the Higgins stuff they are pushing a narrative that we are a psycho aggressive, dangerous fan base.

Really, Kentucky fans are passive aggressive at most, and typically very accommodating of other fan bases who visit us for games.

Reactions: dstroya and Blueaz
That we trashed Cal mercilessly before he came to UK. In reality, there was very little talk of him at all.

I heard this one a lot. Somehow Matt Jones' take was attributed to the rest of us. Many wanted him in 2007. I was on the CBS message boards back then pushing for that.

I heard this one a lot. Somehow Matt Jones' take was attributed to the rest of us. Many wanted him in 2007. I was on the CBS message boards back then pushing for that.

Agree. I still remember wanting him in 97 after the Crypt Keeper left (although I knew it wouldn't happen since he just went to the Nets)

That we all wanted Billy Gillispie gone. EVERY member of the BBN was behind him 100% and could see he was taking this program to new heights.

Can't say it with a straight face.

You almost had me. I do remember some die hards on here trying to shame us after Cutler chased Billy Gillispie down. One of them is still on here and always lecturing everyone.

People excused Billy's 2008 season. It was the next year where we knew he was a disaster.

That we're all nuts and demand perfection that isn't attainable.

I've traveled the country interacting with different fan bases. And Kentucky fans and people continue to be at the top of the list in the class category.

Syracuse fans are the worst I've ever encountered. Seriously, just try them. Awful.

Indiana fans - crap

Memphis fans - double crap.

I'm always so thankful that I'm a St. Louis Cardinals fan and Kentucky fan. Imo the two most classy fan bases in all of sports. And both teams have a tremendous reputation in the fan department.

Reactions: EliteBlue and Aike
That we are a cult or have a cult mentality... to which I say...

clssfd.gif

That a majority of them actually know what they are talking about when it comes to basketball.

Very true. I think UK fans are the most knowledgeable about basketball, of all the fans. Just ask Rick about that, when he didn't guard the player throwing the ball in to Laettner. He NEVER made that mistake again. That is why I think it's idiotic, of some posters who criticize fans when they have an opinion, as to how something should have been done in the games. Let's face it, being a coach is not rocket science, and I doubt if many of them majored in math or science. I know they didn't when I was in college.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Yep, that's it exactly - people go to that Jones quote and throw it out there as though all of BBN either said it or endorsed it. Frankly, I never talked about Cal. Now, if pushed, I would have said "I don't know, there's probably something going on down there, because everyone seems to think there is." But I wasn't vocal about it, never talked much about it, didn't think much about it, and I suspect that's how most UK fans were.

That we're all toothless rednecks.

That we're all insufferable whiners when it comes to losing.

That we can criticize players on the board and people get their panties in a wad....oh wait. Let me think of something else.

That our lives are pretty much like the music scene in Slingblade. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, hold on, I told you three times already. The law is on my side. I play cards with JD Shellnut, Chief of Police.

No everyone from Indiana has a decent jumper. Your state kinda sucks at ball. Our all stars beat yours every year.

And then they go somewhere else to play college basketball because going to IU is like taking a trip back in time to the 1950s.

Bragging about high school basketball is weak, but Indiana fans love to do it. I guess if my program's last bit of relevancy came before the release of Appetite For Destruction, I'd brag about meaningless high school all-star games too.

And then they go somewhere else to play college basketball because going to IU is like taking a trip back in time to the 1950s.

Bragging about high school basketball is weak, but Indiana fans love to do it. I guess if my program's last bit of relevancy came before the release of Appetite For Destruction, I'd brag about meaningless high school all-star games too.
That's gonna change soon enough.

The biggest misconception is see it that we are mere fans. Most of the fans i know treat UK basketball as serious as religion. We plan major life events around the games,we are totally committed to our team. We make the fan part of fanatic famous. I have more than an eight grade education and have never banged my sister, i might add!

That a majority of them actually know what they are talking about when it comes to basketball.

Very true. I think UK fans are the most knowledgeable about basketball, of all the fans. Just ask Rick about that, when he didn't guard the player throwing the ball in to Laettner. He NEVER made that mistake again. That is why I think it's idiotic, of some posters who criticize fans when they have an opinion, as to how something should have been done in the games. Let's face it, being a coach is not rocket science, and I doubt if many of them majored in math or science. I know they didn't when I was in college.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

So are these misconceptions or truths? [laughing][laughing][laughing]

Reactions: G-PIP
That's gonna change soon enough.
That's what y'all thought last time too. Archie is a step up for sure. Hate that he went to Indiana because I like the guy and now I have to hate him because I despise everything to do with your program.

He's a step up but I wouldn't expect anything too great. Bet you anything you want that he doesn't get you to s Final 4 in the first 5 years.

That's what y'all thought last time too. Archie is a step up for sure. Hate that he went to Indiana because I like the guy and now I have to hate him because I despise everything to do with your program.

He's a step up but I wouldn't expect anything too great. Bet you anything you want that he doesn't get you to s Final 4 in the first 5 years.
I bet he does. It probably won't be until year 4 or 5 but he will get it done.

The biggest misconception is see it that we are mere fans. Most of the fans i know treat UK basketball as serious as religion. We plan major life events around the games,we are totally committed to our team. We make the fan part of fanatic famous. I have more than an eight grade education and have never banged my sister, i might add!

Then you're missing out. She's a spitfire! :sunglasses:

Seriously, most fans in my circle are just as crazy over UK football as we are basketball. Obviously the expectations of success are different but I get just as jacked in August as I do in October!

Reactions: wyldcatsfan
UK fans think the Cats never commit a foul,
This is absurd. I clearly remember a foul committed by Gimel Martinez in 1992.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT