ADVERTISEMENT

What About Mulder and Matthews?

Chuckinden

All-American
Jun 12, 2006
I don't follow recruiting and didn't know anything about these guys in high school. I guess I just "trust in Cal" to bring in the best players he can, but these two hardly sniffed the floor. I assume they were 5* players, but like I said I don't know.

I know everyone coming in with hype won't pan out, ala Skal, but what happened to these guys?

Mulder is a transfer from Vincennes - not a 5*.
Matthews will be OK - plays pretty solid defense, can rebound. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown the ability to shoot the ball up until now.

Should be a pretty good player down the road a bit.

Matthews was a 4 star. I am not sure what Mulder would be.

Mulder is a shame because I'd love to have another 3 point shooter off the bench next year...perhaps he can improve his D and such enough to play 5-10 mins (or more) a game and shoot a few three's per game for us and hit 1-2 but I doubt it.

Matthews needs to watch film on MKG and liggins. Not saying he will ever be anything close but he could find his role.

Briscoe came in as a scorer and a one man show. Look what he did. He took pride in defense and made it his focus with the other guards being scorers.

Mulder was brought in just in case no one could hit a 3 this year, hoping he could spot shoot if needed. Obviously we didn't need it. Will continue that role.

Matthews is uber athletic but a raw talent. I think his energy and natural athleticism will help him be a great defender and rebounder. If he can hit a jump shot he'll get some floor time. Liggins is a great comparison for what he could be for our team.

Matthews was a 4 star. I am not sure what Mulder would be.

Mulder is a shame because I'd love to have another 3 point shooter off the bench next year...perhaps he can improve his D and such enough to play 5-10 mins (or more) a game and shoot a few three's per game for us and hit 1-2 but I doubt it.

If Briscoe returns, then I don't think even defensive improvement would net Mulder that many minutes just because he'd have 4 guards in front of him. Its definitely realistic that he's talented enough to contribute though. I Just don't expect it to be necessary.

I'd transfer if I was those two. recruited over and forgotten.
Disagree on Matthews. With his size and athleticism, he could be a good college 3/wing player. He just needs time to develop like Liggins or Miller.

Mulder though should transfer, if he didn't get minutes this year, he won't get any next year IMO.

So, we need experience, but guys who are 'normal' in comers need to transfer if they're not stars their first year?

They are the perfect types of kids to keep around, if they're willing, to build a roster.

So, we need experience, but guys who are 'normal' in comers need to transfer if they're not stars their first year?

They are the perfect types of kids to keep around, if they're willing, to build a roster.

Exactly, Everyone complains about not having experienced players but they think the future Sophs aren't good enough and say they would be better to transfer. And Lee might not get as many minutes and Mulder but I would rather have them on team for experience.

Mathews played like a real freshmen (opposed to some of our insane ones we have seen). But I like what I see for a very solid 4 year player...we need some!

Reactions: stuway
Disagree on Matthews. With his size and athleticism, he could be a good college 3/wing player. He just needs time to develop like Liggins or Miller.

Mulder though should transfer, if he didn't get minutes this year, he won't get any next year IMO.
I agree on Matthews I guess. Junior year maybe.

Mathhews showed some real toughness and rebounding in the later part of the season. He did that with barely any prior minutes and did it knowing that any mistake meant going back to the bench.. That speaks volumes to me. Hope he stays. He could be a nice wing player... a small SF, but a SF none the less, which we all know Kentucky could really use.

Charles Matthews could be a very pivotal player in 2017, when Bam, Fox and Company all bolt to the draft and we have another 4-5 freshman coming in and we need some leadership and balls.

I refuse to believe that Matthews will not develop into a very good player here in a year or two. Too much athleticism and always seemed to be around the ball on defense and when rebounding. I don't think he will ever be a great scorer other than picking up trash buckets and the occasional drive but I think his defense will improve to the point he will play important minutes.

I don't see Mulder doing anthing here and honestly wouldn't be surprised if he leaves or stays. IMO if he stays then he is content with being an end of the bench player on a great team rather than playing for a mediocre one.

I don't like the Stacey Poole comparisons that some are making as he showed me more this year with hustle and athleticism than Poole ever did.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT