ADVERTISEMENT

What about Allen helping out as a Stretch 4?

Take away the MSU game last year and Allen is 30/95 from three the last two years.

That’s 31%. That’s terrible.

He’s not a scorer or a shooter. He’s an occasional role player who can (sometimes) make a few threes in a row.
Unless he is given a chance to play through a slump, we will never know. Maybe Bruiser will coach another game so he can get his shot to fall again.

Unless he is given a chance to play through a slump, we will never know. Maybe Bruiser will coach another game so he can get his shot to fall again.
Crazy because it’s not like he averaged 20+ mpg after that MSU breakout over the next 8 games and did nothing with it. Hasn’t built any confidence with his play this year either.

Reactions: dl51344
Crazy because it’s not like he averaged 20+ mpg after that MSU breakout over the next 8 games and did nothing with it. Hasn’t built any confidence with his play this year either.
No confidence. Humm. Good thing Cal doesn't let players play through slumps.

Well, we know he can get hot when given minutes, right? Mintz has had his slumps,right? Hell, he lets Wheeler jack them up.
So you want Cal to force Allen into action when he isn’t ready? He should be playing Allen who stats wise isn’t a good shooter (btw I want Allen to shoot every time he comes in he’s eventually going to be great for us). The worst defender on the team. A turnover machine with a weak handle, and has thrown some pretty horrible passes in limited time this year. Ok got it. Allen should probably get 30 mins when we play MSU tho, that’s the only team he plays good against.

So you want Cal to force Allen into action when he isn’t ready? He should be playing Allen who stats wise isn’t a good shooter (btw I want Allen to shoot every time he comes in he’s eventually going to be great for us). The worst defender on the team. A turnover machine with a weak handle, and has thrown some pretty horrible passes in limited time this year. Ok got it. Allen should probably get 30 mins when we play MSU tho, that’s the only team he plays good against.
Can't shoot from the bench...they don't count.

Can't shoot from the bench...they don't count.
Again all the minutes he got last year and this year he hasn’t shown he can be a good and consistent shooter yet. Why should Calipari play him major minutes at the detriment to the rest of the team?

Juzang had Quickley and Maxey in front of him. Which one of those are you sitting so Juzang could play?

I love that people literally believe that Cal purposely doesn't play someone who could make this huge difference in the success of the team, in winning games, in potentially getting to a Final Four.

Shouldn't really be surprised given the state of what people believe today but it must take a special kind of stupid to think that. I can't even comprehend what being that dumb must be like.
Johnny J didn’t have those guys ahead of him he had Ashton Hagans ahead of him. Most coaches in modern basketball would love a line up of maxey, quickly and JJ, but we got to see Hagans dribble the ball around 25 seconds a possession most of the year.

Cal has his guys for sure

we were tanking the season in big games before Whitley decided to leave cause he sure cost us,

also I don’t know if you remember watching Boston lose several games last year, won a few with him sitting on the bench in the last minutes and Allen playing,

nick richards starting the Kansas state game in the tourney we start down 11-1 or something then we win the rest of the way easily.

watching Ashton Hagans run point when we had two sure fire nba players in quick and max play off ball for a while hurt is, not to mention Johnny J would have stayed had Ashton been where he belonged most of the game

I mean if you are a UK fan and don’t see that Cal has “his guys” and they get a long leash no matter what they do and others get yanked the second they are out of place than I don’t know what to tell you.

all that being said Allen clearly at this point in his career does not belong on the court above anyone on this roster. Hope it changes but he prob won’t get the opportunity

Reactions: treyforuk
He can't guard people his own size. Now you want him to guards power forwards?

He's not a 4 because...he's not a four.
He's not a stretch four because he isn't making 3's.

We beat UNC--a blue blood--by 29. Louisville cancelled. We're scrambling to find an opponent. And all the posts are about our 10th best player. 11th best if CJ wasn't hurt. 12th best if we had CJ when Sharpe gets here.

You guys are obsessed.

Johnny J didn’t have those guys ahead of him he had Ashton Hagans ahead of him. Most coaches in modern basketball would love a line up of maxey, quickly and JJ, but we got to see Hagans dribble the ball around 25 seconds a possession most of the year.

we were tanking the season in big games before Whitley decided to leave cause he sure cost us,

also I don’t know if you remember watching Boston lose several games last year, won a few with him sitting on the bench in the last minutes and Allen playing,

nick richards starting the Kansas state game in the tourney we start down 11-1 or something then we win the rest of the way easily.

watching Ashton Hagans run point when we had two sure fire nba players in quick and max play off ball for a while hurt is, not to mention Johnny J would have stayed had Ashton been where he belonged most of the game

I mean if you are a UK fan and don’t see that Cal has “his guys” and they get a long leash no matter what they do and others get yanked the second they are out of place than I don’t know what to tell you.

all that being said Allen clearly at this point in his career does not belong on the court above anyone on this roster. Hope it changes but he prob won’t get the opportunity
Man Whitney! The guy who didn’t get more than 10 minutes a game except 1 time between 12/18 and his final appearance on 1/21, which was 11 minutes. That Khalil Whitney? The guy who got 22 mins vs MSU and 16 vs Utah? Man he really tanked those big games for us. He averaged 6 mpg for the last month plus he was here. All his minutes came against popcorn state.

Allens breakout performance earned him
A lot of playing time directly after for about ten straight games he did shit with it. Same player this year. All ten dudes in front of him are better all around basketball players. Exeception is Ware, but I doubt Allen is subbing in and banging down low in place of Oscar. Every team has a need for a spot up shooter tho, his touches will come.

Hagans was a solid guard with elite defense most of the time. He was a huge asset to have on the floor a majority of the time. Even with all three of those guards, Juzang got a huge increase in playing time in the middle of conference play and it was only steadily increasing.

Man Whitney! The guy who didn’t get more than 10 minutes a game except 1 time between 12/18 and his final appearance on 1/21, which was 11 minutes. That Khalil Whitney? The guy who got 22 mins vs MSU and 16 vs Utah? Man he really tanked those big games for us. He averaged 6 mpg for the last month plus he was here. All his minutes came against popcorn state.

Allens breakout performance earned him
A lot of playing time directly after for about ten straight games he did shit with it. Same player this year. All ten dudes in front of him are better all around basketball players. Exeception is Ware, but I doubt Allen is subbing in and banging down low in place of Oscar. Every team has a need for a spot up shooter tho, his touches will come.

Hagans was a solid guard with elite defense most of the time. He was a huge asset to have on the floor a majority of the time. Even with all three of those guards, Juzang got a huge increase in playing time in the middle of conference play and it was only steadily increasing.
I dunno maybe I remember differently but in the beginning of that season Whitley sure seemed to cost us a lot. and 8 minutes per game was also too much at the end if that’s what he played. Tell me why Whitley got 8 minutes and dontae gets zero? Both are just as equally ineffective when in the game at this points in their career.

and it’s cool we can disagree, but do you really think Cal doesn’t have “his guys”

every year there seems to be a guy or two that can do nothing to be taken out while others give up one basket and don’t see the floor the rest of the game.

that’s all I’m saying.

early on Whitley was one of those guys, bj Boston was that guy, Ashton Hagans, nrichards his sophomore year,

I dunno maybe I remember differently but in the beginning of that season Whitley sure seemed to cost us a lot. and 8 minutes per game was also too much at the end if that’s what he played. Tell me why Whitley got 8 minutes and dontae gets zero? Both are just as equally ineffective when in the game at this points in their career.

and it’s cool we can disagree, but do you really think Cal doesn’t have “his guys”

every year there seems to be a guy or two that can do nothing to be taken out while others give up one basket and don’t see the floor the rest of the game.

that’s all I’m saying.

early on Whitley was one of those guys, bj Boston was that guy, Ashton Hagans, nrichards his sophomore year,
Crazy thing is Allen and Whitney stat lines are eerily similar in every single category. I want him to succeed here but he needs a lot of work in the rest of his game. He hasn’t shot well for us outside of MSU. I still believe he can provide that for us this year, but that’s a 10-15 minute guy. He got zero Saturday but I believe that will
Be an outlier.

Anyway I think we’re all doing to much building up/tearing down. Let’s just hope Allen catches fire in the coming weeks and finds a nice role, but I do not think for a second Calipari is limiting/holding back or whatever as he has shown to give him plenty of opportunities to this point.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Crazy thing is Allen and Whitney stat lines are eerily similar in every single category. I want him to succeed here but he needs a lot of work in the rest of his game. He hasn’t shot well for us outside of MSU. I still believe he can provide that for us this year, but that’s a 10-15 minute guy. He got zero Saturday but I believe that will
Be an outlier.

Anyway I think we’re all doing to much building up/tearing down. Let’s just hope Allen catches fire in the coming weeks and finds a nice role, but I do not think for a second Calipari is limiting/holding back or whatever as he has shown to give him plenty of opportunities to this point.

i agree and I think that’s why so many want Allen to play is because they want him to be successful because he is from here and Kentucky means something to him or he would have already taken the easy way out.

however this team is light years better than last so he has to earn it and he hasn’t shown that ability yet.

Last season Many were right in wondering why he didn’t get the leash Boston and others had.

i agree and I think that’s why so many want Allen to play is because they want him to be successful because he is from here and Kentucky means something to him or he would have already taken the easy way out.

however this team is light years better than last so he has to earn it and he hasn’t shown that ability yet.
Your last sentence is the answer as to why Allen isn’t playing more. That sums it up perfectly.

What did or did not happen last year is irrelevant to this season.

Reactions: Jont0805

Last season Many were right in wondering why he didn’t get the leash Boston and others had.

He is staying because he gets NIL money that he won't get at a small school in KY or elsewhere. I do not blame him...free education and NIL money so he doesn't have to work any while in college. That is a great deal, whether you play much or not at a big school like UK.

Reactions: Jont0805
Allen and Hopkins look like the odd men out, with Collins only playing sparingly. That's what happens when you have a roster with 11 guys who expect to play (would have been 12 with CJ). Allen kinda got screwed by Mintz coming back, even though I think he's better.

Well, we know he can get hot when given minutes, right? Mintz has had his slumps,right? Hell, he lets Wheeler jack them up.
You’re being ridiculous.

Wheeler plays nearly 32 minutes per game, yet attempts only 1.8 threes per game. Whereas Allen in only 11 minutes per game forks up 3.9 per game, a crazy attempt rate way beyond that of any other player on the team (including the good shooters like Grady and Washington) …and he does so despite the fact that he’s only made a crappy 22% of em, worse than any other player.

Yet you somehow think the issue is Cal letting Wheeler “jack them up” and not Allen? That’s lunacy. I’m convinced you must be related to Allen, I don’t know how else to explain how irrational your takes on him are.

Last edited:
Why can't he have had 5 mins. from Grady? Like the last 5 mins of the last game. The game was already past being won. There was no pressure then. Problem is he might have gotten his eye back and Cal coudn't have that. He is right where Cal wants him.
Did you not see the other thread? He literally REFUSED to go into the game then.

Allen is averaging more rebounds per 40 than Keion Brooks.

With Oscar so dominant on the glass, you probably don’t lose any rebounding playing Allen at the 4.
Allen also doesn't play with Oscar often. He takes all of them lol love my MATB

Hagans who didn't even play the same position? Who was all conference and the defensive player of the year when the season started when he didn't even have a HS diploma yet? No he was behind Maxey and SEC POY Quickley.

LOL at this comparison. Hayes and Daniels were an ENTIRELY different kind of 6’6” than Allen is.
No he's right. You remember all the 3s they made for us. Apples to apples you know. We want him to keep shooting 22 percent from 3 and not get many rebounds....

I'd rather find a role he can thrive in

That was just some bogus post somebody had here. There’s no evidence to back it up. Just message board bullshit.

This from G-Pip in Oct. did not search for the HL article but have to believe it was in there. Not bogus.

—-

G-PIP

Junior​

According to a Herald Leader article, Dontaie Allen has grown 2 inches. He was clearly a legit 6'6" before, with great length too.

Evidently you must watch UK games with somewhat of a bias toward Allen. Anyone that knows basketball can see that Mintz is a better option than Allen. Mintz can play the two guard and also fill in at the point guard position like he did at the end of last year. Mintz has much more experience and is more athletic than Allen. I love Allen but the way he is performing this year he has not earned playing ahead of any of the players Cal is playing ahead of him.
Have you checked out Mintz' stats this year? It might be illuminating for you.

Reactions: treyforuk
What's laughably stupid is you posting...."But, but, if you take away his good games his shooting % wasn't that high." LOL.

"Good games"...no, one good game....even with that game he's a career 34% three point shooter. That is still terrible.

Have you checked out Mintz' stats this year? It might be illuminating for you.
I can see how Mintz plays compared to Allen. That is all I need. Have you looked at Allen's stats this year. It might be very enlightening for you.

"Good games"...no, one good game....even with that game he's a career 34% three point shooter. That is still terrible.
We're shooting 32% this year so I guess we're terrible.... without Grady's hitting 44% we'd really be hurting. Brooks is 23%, Mintz is 29%. Most of the numbers this early in the season aren't statistically significant anyway due to small sample sizes.

This from G-Pip in Oct. did not search for the HL article but have to believe it was in there. Not bogus.

—-

G-PIP

Junior​

According to a Herald Leader article, Dontaie Allen has grown 2 inches. He was clearly a legit 6'6" before, with great length too.
So your source is a message board user name G-Pip?

Find this this alleged H-L article and I’ll listen, but I ain’t inclined to just take “G-Pip’s” word for it.

Reactions: Blue63Madison
I can see how Mintz plays compared to Allen. That is all I need. Have you looked at Allen's stats this year. It might be very enlightening for you.
Mintz is Mr. Average and is in his sixth year of college ball. I'd rather see more of other players.

Reactions: kywildcats8
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT