ADVERTISEMENT

Wenyen Gabriel

Wenyen can say what he wants and Cal can befriend him or not. I have no issues with how hard he played or how hard he was coached. Can't make everyone happy. Not possible as this country is quickly discovering.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I keep waiting for WG to accuse Cal of being a racist. I think he has some mental health issues that need attending too.

The wife and I really liked Wenyen when he was playing for the Cats. He was actually one of her favorites. Every time I mention him now, she goes off. Thinks his childish actions are absurd.

That’s saying a lot if she really dislikes someone the level she does him, especially him being a former Cat. We both think that Cal did everything he could for the guy and gave him a golden opportunity to play here. Not Cal’s fault he never learned to dribble a basketball. Dude just needs to stfu already. Good Lord.

Last edited:
Still don't feel bad for posting those texts. Cal cut Wenyen off after that. Wenyen says so many things that contradict its hard to know what he really thinks. At the end of the day he's just bitter/upset/mad that he never became a main contributor here to get drafted 1st rd. Wenyen was a top 15 recruit in his own eyes he's a star. He feels like he should've been a focal point to those UK teams and that steering JM to Washington helped him go 1st rd and make millions. Of course thats a load of crap, JM was going 1st rd no matter where he went and could've potentially gone higher at UK instead of a 20 loss Washington team. If Wenyen wanted to be a main contributor on his UK teams he should've put in the work on his game and body to be able to do so, thats on him. Cal can't hide you here. Wenyen also insinuated that he should've gone to Duke which I find funny bc K would've talked him into 4 years and he would've still went undrafted. Good riddance WG come back when you mature a little.

Last edited:
Wenyen had some of the same issues that other guys his size have had at UK. His lateral quickness was very poor and it made him a defensive liability. His shooting was inconsistent at best during his freshman season. It improved during his 2nd season but his lack of lateral quickness still caused him trouble staying on the floor. Calipari has always made it clear- I've heard him say it a dozen times at least- "I can't hide you out there." If we're playing man to man and they come at you every time down the floor and keep scoring, you can't be left on the floor.

Gabriel was also a bit of a tweener. He had the height (6-9) of a power forward but lacked the bulk and strength (205 lbs) to defend that position. He wanted to play the game of a small forward but lacked the shooting, ball handling, passing skills, and quickness to play or defend that position. Whose fault is that? You can't blame Cal for that. So, you either bulk up and play the 4 or you work on quickness and shooting and play the 3. Trouble is, Gabriel never got there. He was starting to be strong enough to play a stretch 4 at the end of his sophomore year. Had he stayed one more season, he might have become a really solid stretch 4 as a junior. His shooting was improving and so was his strength. But he left just when he was getting better. Again, whose fault is that?

Wenyen had some of the same issues that other guys his size have had at UK. His lateral quickness was very poor and it made him a defensive liability. His shooting was inconsistent at best during his freshman season. It improved during his 2nd season but his lack of lateral quickness still caused him trouble staying on the floor. Calipari has always made it clear- I've heard him say it a dozen times at least- "I can't hide you out there." If we're playing man to man and they come at you every time down the floor and keep scoring, you can't be left on the floor.

Gabriel was also a bit of a tweener. He had the height (6-9) of a power forward but lacked the bulk and strength (205 lbs) to defend that position. He wanted to play the game of a small forward but lacked the shooting, ball handling, passing skills, and quickness to play or defend that position. Whose fault is that? You can't blame Cal for that. So, you either bulk up and play the 4 or you work on quickness and shooting and play the 3. Trouble is, Gabriel never got there. He was starting to be strong enough to play a stretch 4 at the end of his sophomore year. Had he stayed one more season, he might have become a really solid stretch 4 as a junior. His shooting was improving and so was his strength. But he left just when he was getting better. Again, whose fault is that?
It’s a shame I can only like this once!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT