ADVERTISEMENT

Well Played and Well Coached…..

If he wasn't out there we may have lost have you thought about that?
Or worse, Dave. He might not have gotten the chance to highlight his Burger boys on prime time. Dave, you nor I have any way of knowing that assertion. If Cal wasn't there, we may have won by 15. See how easy that is?

…. And we are only going to get better
And the coaching will get worse. That is, unless Cal comes to the realization (before it's too late) that the heart and soul of this team is the ability to spread the floor and run. Spending 25 seconds playing Hot Potato around the perimeter doesn't advance the ball.

And the coaching will get worse. That is, unless Cal comes to the realization (before it's too late) that the heart and soul of this team is the ability to spread the floor and run. Spending 25 seconds playing Hot Potato around the perimeter doesn't advance the ball.
The team is 6th in the nation in scoring 10 games in. Fear the worst all you want I guess but this team’s identity is in its offense and athleticism. Cal has his faults but athleticism is something he’s at least comfortable coaching compared to
more traditional half court style play.

Not really worried about any hot potato play personally.

Reactions: JFCats22
No strong feelings either way on the inbound plays. Reed is probably our best free throw shooter, so I’d ideally like him to be receiving passes in intentional foul situations instead of being the one guy on the court who definitely won’t be going to the line due to our play design, but I also understand the argument that his vision and passing ability make him the perfect trigger man since we can’t afford turnovers there.

I’m more worried about our crunch time offense if we’re talking about coaching. Wagner and Dillingham made it work today by hitting some high degree of difficulty shots, but I still don’t love going almost exclusively to iso ball there. I would rather see some ball movement and keep the defense on their heels in those situations.

Reed had the third highest minutes tonight behind Mitchell and Wagner. Explain to me how starting is more important compared to overall minutes. I’ll wait.
Just saying if he’s that important of a player you’d think he’d be a starter. I don’t care as long as he gets his mins.
Your avatar is nice.

I especially loved having 3 time outs, up 1 or 2 points (if I remember that right) and not much time left in the game and no time out called with 30 seconds on the shot clock. ( Wagner even looked at the bench looking for Cal to call a TO or play) Wagner goes one on one, gets his shot thrown out of bounds attacking the rim. THEN Cal calls a time out with 3 seconds on the shot clock. 🤔
Sorry, but I will question things like this when it happens over and over with Cal. Tickled pink that we won, but if someone starts threads like this immediately attacking other fans after a game, don't get salty when some of us poke back. Many of us are Kentucky fans but not Calipari fans anymore and a few of you just need to accept that. Bigfoot out for the night. ✌️

• Haha
Reactions: 59coop
Your takes get worse and worse every day and you make it clear you don’t know crap about basketball. Takes a special kind of stupid really. Congrats!!

Well coached? Cal had Reed inbounding the ball to Bradshaw for Fts for crying out loud. We won in spite of the coaching. Thank God.
Bradshaw looked pretty good shooting those free throws. Based on his form, he should be a good free throw shooter. He also looked like he wanted to be the one taking those free throws. He displayed no fear.

Just saying if he’s that important of a player you’d think he’d be a starter. I don’t care as long as he gets his mins.
Your avatar is nice.
You don’t care but you also cared enough to make a snarky comment about it? Right.

Been the same avatar since 2017. Don’t really care to change it as I’ve had 3-4k posts with the same picture—makes it easier to identify who it is that is posting. When there’s a coaching change I’ll probably change it.

Don’t think I know a single poster here by their name but I damn sure recognize a picture over and over.

Last edited:
Reactions: grevey35
The team is 6th in the nation in scoring 10 games in. Fear the worst all you want I guess but this team’s identity is in its offense and athleticism. Cal has his faults but athleticism is something he’s at least comfortable coaching compared to
more traditional half court style play.

Not really worried about any hot potato play personally.
They're ranked that high because of those games back before he reverted to classic stall ball. We need basketball players, not "athletes". Finally we've got some, and they're best at pushing the tempo and going small. This team's "offense" and Cal's "offense" are completely different things. Were you awww shucks after last year? This team will succeed in spite of Cal.

• Haha
Reactions: University-6
I especially loved having 3 time outs, up 1 or 2 points (if I remember that right) and not much time left in the game and no time out called with 30 seconds on the shot clock. ( Wagner even looked at the bench looking for Cal to call a TO or play) Wagner goes one on one, gets his shot thrown out of bounds attacking the rim. THEN Cal calls a time out with 3 seconds on the shot clock. 🤔
Sorry, but I will question things like this when it happens over and over with Cal. Tickled pink that we won, but if someone starts threads like this immediately attacking other fans after a game, don't get salty when some of us poke back. Many of us are Kentucky fans but not Calipari fans anymore and a few of you just need to accept that. Bigfoot out for the night. ✌️
There is no one on this board harder on Cal than me, but I am not going to let that prevent me from giving the man credit when he does a good job. I said a good job and not a perfect job. Sometimes you are better off not calling the time out because the defense can use that time out to make adjustments too.

You don’t care but you also cared enough to make a snarky comment about it? Right.

Been the same avatar since 2017. Don’t really care to change it as I’ve had 3-4k posts with the same picture—makes it easier to identify who it is that is posting. When there’s a coaching I’ll probably change it.

Don’t think I know a single poster here by their name but I damn sure recognize a picture over and over.
I don't think you're here in the interest of the team winning titles. Good luck in that vacuum.

Reactions: LmdCat
They're ranked that high because of those games back before he reverted to classic stall ball. We need basketball players, not "athletes". Finally we've got some, and they're best at pushing the tempo and going small. This team's "offense" and Cal's "offense" are completely different things. Were you awww shucks after last year? This team will succeed in spite of Cal.
Ahh yes. The “statistics objectively say this but here’s my more informed take that’s more important than statistics” take. Sure buddy.

How does a team score 81 and 87 points the last two games playing stall ball?

Take the night off and let the big boys discuss basketball. You are clueless.

Edwards on the bench was the key. He was torched on D every second in the game. I really hope he gets more defensive intensity.

• Love
Reactions: NociHTTP
I thought both coaches did a good job. This was a high level December game that will stack up against any game of any era. Big win for Cats. Now, hopefully, UK will play this well or better going forward, instead of taking a step back.

Well coached? Cal had Reed inbounding the ball to Bradshaw for Fts for crying out loud. We won in spite of the coaching. Thank God.
That wasn’t the plan. Cal did NOT have a plan to get a particular player open even tho he probably wanted it to go to DJ. They took that away because Cal doesn’t know how to get him open or at least draw up a sure thing.

Reed threw it to the open man. Else he has to call timeout and then Cal would. Get a second chance at it.

Hey Cats won so we can let up on Cal

I'd like to know the % of posters here are not UK fans. Sheesh. We won. Guess some have to wait to kick their dogs until our next loss.
So you're showing support for the team by going after its fans? Great game, we beat those University of North Carolina Tarheels. Their center Bacot can sure out the ball in the rim with the net. Obviously you know that I'm being overly simplistic, but fans have expectations, too. It's not just the coach and we all wave pom poms all the time. If you really want to talk about the Cats then You're going to have to be able to talk about stats, things you'd like to see improves, things you just didn't like. You think the coaches are standing around gloating about the win? Nope. It's great game, guys, and then start about what worked and didn't work. I wouldn't worry so much about what others here are saying. Like the posts you like, and speak your mind.

Reactions: LmdCat
So you're showing support for the team by going after its fans? Great game, we beat those University of North Carolina Tarheels. Their center Bacot can sure out the ball in the rim with the net. Obviously you know that I'm being overly simplistic, but fans have expectations, too. It's not just the coach and we all wave pom poms all the time. If you really want to talk about the Cats then You're going to have to be able to talk about stats, things you'd like to see improves, things you just didn't like. You think the coaches are standing around gloating about the win? Nope. It's great game, guys, and then start about what worked and didn't work. I wouldn't worry so much about what others here are saying. Like the posts you like, and speak your mind.
Not saying you, but there are more than a few on this site that can just never be happy. Even in losses there are usually some positives. There were boneheaded plays today for sure. A lot of bad post passes and blow bys. But I can see some progress. Our defense seems to be getting a bit better and I never thought Adou would be better than Justin. That's probably my biggest Cal gripe. He likes playing the draft picks, poor play be damned. Justin just doesn't have "it" right now but boy Adou sure does.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I couldn’t understand that either. However, he always has Reed inbound the ball when he’s in the game. Still, someone else shouldn’t inbounded that particular play IMHO.

There is no one on this board harder on Cal than me, but I am not going to let that prevent me from giving the man credit when he does a good job. I said a good job and not a perfect job. Sometimes you are better off not calling the time out because the defense can use that time out to make adjustments too.
Well said.

Several things jump out at me in this one. I'll give him credit. He's doing a rather nice job rehabilitating himself this year. Taking some sting out of the previous years for me. Still a long way to go though.

1) I love the new offensive look he's put in there, with a little help from his friends.
2) with the exception of the UNCW game, the team looked well prepared all year long so far. And I'm even willing to give him a pass on that game because the young cats just had a bad game, and that happens with freshmen.
3) He's getting out of his own way, and it shows in several areas.
4) Just getting the BIGS out there and not losing the tempo or spread offensive sets is really nice to see. I credit him for that as well. It's hard to teach, and getting such young players to execute it on the court, even better.
5) It seems to me he's mellowed some, too. Players are responding very favorably to him. At least, it seems that way to me.

He's got this team playing with some really high level energy and hustle out there. Good subbing, good looks on offense, getting this team to get better defensively will take this team a LONG way.

And I think he can do it.

we shall see.

Reactions: Coalfield Cat
Can't we just enjoy the WIN instead of all this bickering !
I agree with you. For the first time there is reason for optimism. This team is playing well even while integrating its young freshmen big men who missed the softest part of our schedule. I truly believe this team will be much better in March if Cal can resist over-coaching them. We need to keep a balance attack and take what the defense is giving us because we have the inside and outside game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT