ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1 Depth Chart

Vandagriff QB1 with Wimsatt/Boley following, so might see some Boley action this year (hopefully in blowouts). Farrier 2nd in depth chart for WR, might see him starting at some point this season, if not I can see him getting significant playing time. Defense looking strong as usual.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Deveren or Pop at No. 1. Interesting. I realize that some of this is premised on who we play, but that is a surprise to me.

What happened to OT Ford who transferred from USC? He's not in 2-deep? Interesting.

Beau not even running 3rd string - somewhat of a surprise to me.

Childress starting at S is a little concerning after last year.

Reactions: K_TIME
What happened to OT Ford who transferred from USC? He's not in 2-deep? Interesting.

Beau Allen is running 1st team at QB for FG fakes...or at least that's what my imagination hopes since he is the backup holder. How cool would it be to see him get a TD pass on a fake FG in week 3 that assists in getting the upset when the Bulldogs come to Lexington?

Stoops says he has 3 starters at safety. Childress has had a lot of good things said about him this fall. He is expected to play more in the box, I believe.

Boley being in the 2-3 deep is a good sign to me. Hope that is legit.

Reactions: ganner918

As someone already posted, Ford is out for a while with an undisclosed injury.

With Childress, you will see him a lot at Nickel and then Bryant or Story at SS.

Reactions: gamecockcat
OLine is razor thin. No surprise there. Hope we get Ford back soon. Surprised Ray isn't at tackle to help with that depth. He came up clutch last year when we couldn't figure out the OLine situation.

I'm curious about RB this year. How do we replace a guy like Davis? How's the depth? Trayanum is out for injury, right? What's up with Wilcox and the Mizell kid that was drawing some hype?

Glad to see Willie Rodriguez has made the 2-deep. Pretty sure I heard good stuff about him on Twitter from folks who saw practices this summer.

Defense looks great. Excited to see Afari as a LB. Wonder if he'll pan out like a hybrid do-everything defender like Winston Guy when it's all said and done.

Overall, I'm excited to see how we fare this year. Tough schedule, but our ones look great on paper.

Last edited:
OLine is razor thin. No surprise there. Hope we get Ford back soon. Surprised Day isn't at tackle to help with that depth. He came up clutch last year when we couldn't figure out the OLine situation.

I'm curious about RB this year. How do we replace a guy like Davis? How's the depth? Trayanum is out for injury, right? What's up with Wilcox and the Mizell kid that was drawing some hype?

Glad to see Willie Rodriguez has made the 2-deep. Pretty sure I heard good stuff about him on Twitter from folks who saw practices this summer.

Defense looks great. Excited to see Afari as a LB. Wonder if he'll pan out like a hybrid do-everything defender like Winston Guy when it's all said and done.

Overall, I'm excited to see how we fare this year. Tough schedule, but our ones look great on paper.

You really think the OL is razor thin? When reading Ford was out for an injury, I was quite concerned as well. But looking at the depth chart, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Left Tackle
69 Marques Cox, 6-5, 318, Sr-1L, Peoria, Ill. (Northern Illinois/Peoria)
71 Malachi Wood, 6-8, 320, Fr-RS, Richmond, Ky. (Madison Central)
Left Guard
62 Jager Burton, 6-4, 316, Jr-2L, Lexington, Ky. (Frederick Douglass)
53 Aba Selm, 6-4, 303, Fr-HS, Independence, Ky. (Simon Kenton)
Center
75 Eli Cox, 6-4, 309, Sr-4L, Nicholasville, Ky. (West Jessamine)
50 Koby Keenum, 6-4, 302, Fr-RS, Florence, Ala. (Mars Hill Bible School)
Right Guard
52 Jalen Farmer, 6-5, 314, So-Tr, Covington, Ga. (Florida/Eastside)
73 Dylan Ray, 6-6, 310, Jr-1L, Noblesville, Ind. (West Virginia/Noblesville)
Right Tackle
54 Gerald Mincey, 6-6, 335, Sr-Tr, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Tennessee/Florida/Cardinal Gibbons)
78 Anfernee Crease, 6-6, 315, So-Tr, Tomball, Texas (Navarro College/Tomball Memorial

The encouraging thing to me is that the only young guys (Wood, Selm, Keenum) in the 2-deep are guys that I thought I had already read good things about prior to hearing of Ford's injury.

In addition, there appears to be more bodies available on the interior...so maybe guys like OGs Ramsey & Christman may be able to provide depth on the interior if Ray is needed to step out and add depth at OT?

I'm not saying that's great, but maybe I was just thinking it would be a lot worse (maybe you were thinking it was better)? Now that we've both probably arrived about the same spot, it just seems better than where I started and worse than what you thought? 🤣

Also, I recognize your name from way back, right? So, when I think razor thin, I think back to the Rich Brooks days and early Stoops days when that meant you had backup Sunbelt level guys competing for starting spots.

Reactions: JPFisher
1. I thought Dumas-Johnson was going to play Will and Deryck Jackson at Mike....but it is reversed. I hope DJackson can play in space well or we'll be slow in coverage over the middle area. I hope to see Rayner and Afari subbing in a lot on passing downs.
2. Better not get a WR hurt....They only believe in 5 Wr on the roster
3. UK has amazing size and talent at 2 deep Dline....I hope to see them play with more explosion and keep fresh guys v.s conserving energy at times.

Beau Allen is running 1st team at QB for FG fakes...or at least that's what my imagination hopes since he is the backup holder. How cool would it be to see him get a TD pass on a fake FG in week 3 that assists in getting the upset when the Bulldogs come to Lexington?
That would be odd. The holder under Stoops has always been the punter.

OLine is razor thin. No surprise there. Hope we get Ford back soon. Surprised Day isn't at tackle to help with that depth. He came up clutch last year when we couldn't figure out the OLine situation.

Ford missed maybe half of '23 with a wrist injury that required surgery. He also missed Spring while rehabbing. Obviously this has turned into a big deal.

Mizell is still recovering from knee surgery, last I heard he was at about 85% so it's unlikely we'll see him anytime soon. Patterson is apparently RB2.

You really think the OL is razor thin? When reading Ford was out for an injury, I was quite concerned as well. But looking at the depth chart, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Left Tackle
69 Marques Cox, 6-5, 318, Sr-1L, Peoria, Ill. (Northern Illinois/Peoria)
71 Malachi Wood, 6-8, 320, Fr-RS, Richmond, Ky. (Madison Central)
Left Guard
62 Jager Burton, 6-4, 316, Jr-2L, Lexington, Ky. (Frederick Douglass)
53 Aba Selm, 6-4, 303, Fr-HS, Independence, Ky. (Simon Kenton)
Center
75 Eli Cox, 6-4, 309, Sr-4L, Nicholasville, Ky. (West Jessamine)
50 Koby Keenum, 6-4, 302, Fr-RS, Florence, Ala. (Mars Hill Bible School)
Right Guard
52 Jalen Farmer, 6-5, 314, So-Tr, Covington, Ga. (Florida/Eastside)
73 Dylan Ray, 6-6, 310, Jr-1L, Noblesville, Ind. (West Virginia/Noblesville)
Right Tackle
54 Gerald Mincey, 6-6, 335, Sr-Tr, Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Tennessee/Florida/Cardinal Gibbons)
78 Anfernee Crease, 6-6, 315, So-Tr, Tomball, Texas (Navarro College/Tomball Memorial

The encouraging thing to me is that the only young guys (Wood, Selm, Keenum) in the 2-deep are guys that I thought I had already read good things about prior to hearing of Ford's injury.

In addition, there appears to be more bodies available on the interior...so maybe guys like OGs Ramsey & Christman may be able to provide depth on the interior if Ray is needed to step out and add depth at OT?

I'm not saying that's great, but maybe I was just thinking it would be a lot worse (maybe you were thinking it was better)? Now that we've both probably arrived about the same spot, it just seems better than where I started and worse than what you thought? 🤣

Also, I recognize your name from way back, right? So, when I think razor thin, I think back to the Rich Brooks days and early Stoops days when that meant you had backup Sunbelt level guys competing for starting spots.
Nowadays, razor thin means freshmen to me. And yes, I remember the Rich Brooks days well. 🤣 That 2007 team could've been even more special with some better depth. Also, love how I truncated Dylan Ray to Day. 🤦‍♂️

I'm spooked by having a freshman backing up the most important spot on the line. Also spooked by the second most important position on the line, and the most technically-intensive one, is also backed up by a center. Give me freshman guard backups any day over a LT or C. Just gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about the season's outlook if those freshmen aren't ready to jump in for an injury.

OLine is razor thin. No surprise there. Hope we get Ford back soon. Surprised Ray isn't at tackle to help with that depth. He came up clutch last year when we couldn't figure out the OLine situation.

I think Stoops said Ray can play either guard or tackle like before. Said he has faith in him. I think we have 8 to 9 without Ford that are good enough for most games, (texas / Uga maybe not).

Nowadays, razor thin means freshmen to me. And yes, I remember the Rich Brooks days well. 🤣 That 2007 team could've been even more special with some better depth. Also, love how I truncated Dylan Ray to Day. 🤦‍♂️

I'm spooked by having a freshman backing up the most important spot on the line. Also spooked by the second most important position on the line, and the most technically-intensive one, is also backed up by a center. Give me freshman guard backups any day over a LT or C. Just gives me the heebie jeebies thinking about the season's outlook if those freshmen aren't ready to jump in for an injury.

That's fair regarding concern of freshmen backups at LOT and OC...even with that, at least they are RS-FR as opposed to a true FR OT like Aaron Miller or Landon Young being thrown to the wolves there.

Just because they are on the depth chart doesn’t mean they are going to play meaningful snaps.

Ray started 10 games last year so he's most capable.

Ray was arguably out best ol last year. Jager is going to play anyway. Im holding out hopes jager is improved. If not hopefully they finally replace him.

Was surprised to see boley at the 2/3 instead of beau but i guess that's either promising or nil. Hopefully both.

Rb is scary right now imo. That isnt a promising group. Someone needs to majorly step up.

Ray was arguably out best ol last year. Jager is going to play anyway. Im holding out hopes jager is improved. If not hopefully they finally replace him.

Was surprised to see boley at the 2/3 instead of beau but i guess that's either promising or nil. Hopefully both.

Rb is scary right now imo. That isnt a promising group. Someone needs to majorly step up.

Also how is berry still the punter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT