ADVERTISEMENT

We were this close

This is a classic example of a young QB still growing. The reason it looks like he hangs on to the ball all the time is just this exact scene. He’s looking for his target to halve space before releasing it but in this league there is rarely visible space before release, you have to thrown to the space and lead them out of the route. Levi’s did this too early on. Waited for space then tried to gin it in last minute instead of throwing his man open with soft touch.

I think his interceptions the first two games may have caused some gun-shyness too making him hang on to it lookin for decimate clearness

You can thank the QB coach, these guys are unprepared when they arrive and seldom get any better. It’s been a while since we have had a great QB.

You can thank the QB coach, these guys are unprepared when they arrive and seldom get any better. It’s been a while since we have had a great QB.
My post on QB coaching expands on your statement. We either have an offense that is too complicated and the QB is hesitant or we are not coaching these kids to trust their receivers and the play design and let the ball go. As that clip shows, the play was there and should have resulted in 10+ yards. If BV releases that ball just a hair earlier it's gone before the rush has him and the receiver turns and it hits him in stride for a critical completion that should have gotten us w/in FG range. The screen play prior to this one was also a good call and he waited just a beat too long and it got batted down.

You throw people open at this level, it’s not target practice waiting for the open window, timing and touch is every thing at QB, pocket awareness too. The pass to Brown was an easy completion for a poised QB with touch

This idea that we were close to winning is just so stupid. You think we stop GA from coming down and kicking a field goal themselves? Yah right…this defense can’t get off the field on third down when it matters to save its life. We were never going to win that game no mattter what happened on that drive.

This idea that we were close to winning is just so stupid. You think we stop GA from coming down and kicking a field goal themselves? Yah right…this defense can’t get off the field on third down when it matters to save its life. We were never going to win that game no mattter what happened on that drive.
We stopped them all game. What game were you watching?

We stopped them all game. What game were you watching?
Every game for the last 12 years. I didn’t say we weren’t stopping them throughout the game, I said we wouldn’t stop them when it counted. If you think we would have then you don’t know Stoops football…at all. Nobody thought Georgia was going to lose that game for a second…except a few delusional UK fans I guess.

Hope noone sees the wr screen he looked at, pumped, but didn't throw. If he throws that easy completion, we get at least 5 yards and into fg position.

This mesh would've gone for 20+ yards. It legitimately could've been a td.

Reactions: gamecockcat
All good breakdowns and analyses. But I just hate watching these videos…because they’re right. Too many of these in Kentucky FB history. This would have been a hallmark win and changed a lot of narratives.

I was at the LSU game in 06. It took offensive firepower to beat #1 and we had it. If we had half of what we had then, we’d have ran Georgia’s pockets. But I attribute much of our loss to coaching and game planning. A few bounces our way might have made the difference too.

But like Bart Giamatti said about baseball once: “It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart.” So it is with all sports I suppose.

That is the theme of all of UKs football history OP.

And the one poster mentioning UGA had woken up some on offense n 2nd half is correct. Drove deep for FG, then TD and then we stopped them 3 and out and then UGA could have scored if they had stopped being aggressive on last drive IMO. They went conservative on their final drive to chew clock, which was 100% correct at that stage of game.

Agree. I've watched UK FB for > 50 years and the number of games when we were 'oh so close' and came up short has got to be 30 or more. I've sat in Commonwealth on numerous occasions and said, 'Just one more stop, guys, one more stop and we can put this away' only to watch the opponent who likely hadn't crossed midfield since halftime march confidently straight down the field to win. Or, conversely, 'all we need is a couple of first downs and we're in FG position to win' only to see us backpeddle and get close but not win. I mean, the bowl game last year was EXACTLY that, was it not? The Vandy game where they scored very late to upset us. The TN game where Levis made the ridiculous long 3rd down conversion after the refs missed the facemask only to get snowed under two plays in a row and pushed out of game-tying (winning?) FG. Levis Sr year vs Ole Miss - go ahead TD late to win gets called back and we can't score. The loss to FL when the refs didn't see the play clock expire. That's just a few off the top of my head in the last 3 or 4 years. There are dozens of these type of heart-rending losses that I've witnessed. I totally agree with BG. If UK successfully kicks the FG, me and every other long-suffering UK FB fan would have been saying to themselves, 'I know Georgia is gonna drive back down and win the game'. EVERY SINGLE ONE because we've seen this play out so many times previously. To give Stoops credit, under his regime we haven't ALWAYS lost games like this but we still lose quite a few.

Yes, you and BG are so right, I now know that we weren't close to winning any of those. Thank you.

This idea that we were close to winning is just so stupid. You think we stop GA from coming down and kicking a field goal themselves? Yah right…this defense can’t get off the field on third down when it matters to save its life. We were never going to win that game no mattter what happened on that d
Ordinarily I may agree. However, this was set up that we Marigot be be able to run the clock to 0. The stars had lined up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT