ADVERTISEMENT

We have top 25 class with 3.4-star rating according to the way I read Rivals

cat888

Sophomore
Jul 23, 2006
I was just looking at our Rivals Class rating of 48 which has been near that low all year and blaming it on NIL. But when I looked at the average star rating we had a 3.4 which puts us well in the top 20 most of the teams rated above us had more players committed. Are we limited on players we can sign or will we catch up in numbers or am I reading something wrong? Are we saving places for transfers?

With the portal etc I’m not sure what value these things have anymore anyway

Agree and that’s one thing I like about 247sports’ rankings.

They have a HS recruit ranking, a transfer ranking and then an overall ranking that combines both HS recruits and transfers.

FWIW, their site has UK #29 overall at the moment (#46 for HS recruits and #5 for transfers).

Agree. Our approach has definitely switched to include a major focus on the portal. Hopefully these sites start doing some composite that includes the portal too

Reactions: kl40504
I was just looking at our Rivals Class rating of 48 which has been near that low all year and blaming it on NIL. But when I looked at the average star rating we had a 3.4 which puts us well in the top 20 most of the teams rated above us had more players committed. Are we limited on players we can sign or will we catch up in numbers or am I reading something wrong? Are we saving places for transfers?
I did the same thing. If our numbers were up in the twenties we would be ranked way higher. Some of the sites need to come out with ranking including transfers and high school players.

They have a HS recruit ranking, a transfer ranking and then an overall ranking that combines both HS recruits and transfers.

FWIW, their site has UK #29 overall at the moment (#46 for HS recruits and #5 for transfers).

lets just say we rank #5 lol

I think it still matters alot because excellent HS recruiting will always be the foundation for good teams. (Last year’s class had multiple studs that will be foundation for next couple of years.)

I’m not very concerned about rankings (they are primarily based on # of incoming players.) I do agree with you that the portal allows for teams to fill holes that they missed in previous recruiting classes.

Looks like we missed on some OL & QB recruits from ‘21 recruiting class that are getting filled with ’23 portal players. I agree the portal creates POTENTIAL for quicker fixes.

We have 10 in the portal as well. So we can take ten in and should still be able to sign a full class.

Reactions: The-Hack
I think it still matters alot because excellent HS recruiting will always be the foundation for good teams. (Last year’s class had multiple studs that will be foundation for next couple of years.)

I’m not very concerned about rankings (they are primarily based on # of incoming players.) I do agree with you that the portal allows for teams to fill holes that they missed in previous recruiting classes.

Looks like we missed on some OL & QB recruits from ‘21 recruiting class that are getting filled with ’23 portal players. I agree the portal creates POTENTIAL for quicker fixes.
Yeah I’m not saying the hs recruiting doesn’t matter, it does. But the ranking system has so little to do in indicating team or personnel success because half of the kids may be gone ina year or two. Roster turnover renders the team ratings almost irrelevant

Reactions: bballcat4
Currently we have the fourth best portal class in the country behind only MI, FL ST and UCLA. I think 7 of our 15 high school commits are 4 stars? I know Marrow has been working his butt off traveling. The number of high schools he has been to the last couple of months was impressive. Forgot how many, but it shows how much time he puts into it.

Last edited:
A star average of 3.4 is a measure of the quality of the class. At this point the quality is good but the class size is small. Not worried about class size because the portal makes up the difference.
The class can also be measured by need at a position like the two transfers QB and RB were a lot more important to us than they would have been to a team with great players at the two positions returning.

We're not only competitive with but beating teams who have consistently higher ranked recruiting classes, so I'm not concerned about rankings. We're getting quality most of the time. Didn't have the transfer portal in 2018 and won 10 games.

Just need to keep on improving however and whenever we can, and play better At ST and OL. I'm stoked with the guys we've signed. Would love to have Wilcox at RB and another OT. Bell as well if possible. We've got 4 or so scholarships left I think

Only thing with the 247 one is a lot of the transfer haven’t been ranked yet. I think UK still has 3 that haven’t received a transfer ranking and I think only 1 of Louisville’s has received a transfer ranking. So there will be a lot of movement as they finally get the transfers ranked.

Four teams ahead of us in our division alone, and that’s not including being behind Louisville. That’s um, not a formula for success consistently being out recruited by almost every team in your division

Four teams ahead of us in our division alone,
Three if counting our average recruit ranking of 3.41.

I hope to see a day when we out-recruit Georgia, Florida and Tennessee.

We are currently ranked 9th in the nation, but 1st in the SEC for transfer commitments.

Florida is ranked as 25th and, hence, second in the SEC East for transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang and cat888
Yeah I’m not saying the hs recruiting doesn’t matter, it does. But the ranking system has so little to do in indicating team or personnel success because half of the kids may be gone ina year or two. Roster turnover renders the team ratings almost irrelevant
To your point, A&M with their stellar classes the past few years has 25 in the portal. I'm guessing, if the classes were re-ranked, theirs wouldn't hold up so well.

Need quality HS recruits AND transfers to address immediate needs, which the staff has done well thus far.

Three if counting our average recruit ranking of 3.41.

I hope to see a day when we out-recruit Georgia, Florida and Tennessee.

We are currently ranked 9th in the nation, but 1st in the SEC for transfer commitments.

Florida is ranked as 25th and, hence, second in the SEC East for transfers.
And the #6 team in the SEC is .17 star average above us. We are .11 star average below UT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Girthang and cat888
IMO we have a small HS recruiting class because the days of filling out to sign 25 by taking some borderline prospects are over. Only 17 & counting, if we wanted there were plenty of 3* guys who would have signed with UK if given the opportunity. Some right in our backyard.

3 straight yrs the staff has proven they can get not only great talent from the portal, but guys who become instant starters the very next season as well.

We made up a ton of ground considering our slow start and a couple of coaches turning over. Boulware should make a nice positive difference on getting a quicker start on our next class. Plus, I think the next class will focus pretty heavy on the lines on both sides.

In some ways it feels like we’re just trying to make ourselves feel better vs elites. To see bama have 14 top 50 guys puts whatever number we want to hold onto seem impossibly inadequate.

In some ways it feels like we’re just trying to make ourselves feel better vs elites. To see bama have 14 top 50 guys puts whatever number we want to hold onto seem impossibly inadequate.
We never have been an elite. We are never going to be an elite. Same for 110 of the 132 D1 programs.

Our spot in the sport is to develop a top 15-25 ranked team on the field, with developing recruits & very smart transfer portal additions. We are not going to be a better program than Bama or Ohio or LSU. We need to concentrate on being better than UL, Mizzou, S Carolina, Miss St, Knoxville.

We never have been an elite. We are never going to be an elite. Same for 110 of the 132 D1 programs.

Our spot in the sport is to develop a top 15-25 ranked team on the field, with developing recruits & very smart transfer portal additions. We are not going to be a better program than Bama or Ohio or LSU. We need to concentrate on being better than UL, Mizzou, S Carolina, Miss St, Knoxville.
Yeah, I'm aware. My point is just that the gap at times is disheartening. That's it.

Reactions: YaketySax
The game is still played on the field, and past results don't guarantee future wins. If the end result is that individual 2 stars and/or 3 stars and 4 stars from UK are developed into top 10 picks, and the 4 and 5 star players that went elsewhere get passed up by them, eventually it is possible to put together a system, a team, and a season or more that surpasses that of Bama or Georgia, or other traditional football powerhouses.

We set our sights high, and keep trying to aim small (and if we miss, miss small). We cast a wide net, and if we are very interested and/or a great player is interested in UK, we pursue. It's a game within the game that you can't shy away from.

Yeah, I'm aware. My point is just that the gap at times is disheartening. That's it.
Yes, but for decades we had three or four 4-Star players matched up with 60 for the top of the conference.

Next year will be our (new) peak under Stoops, with more than 30.

At this level we should have a competitive advantage with our 4 OOC opponents, Vandy, Mizzou and be on the same level with Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina.

Looking backward from 2012, it has been since the 70's that we have fielded as many or more Blue-Chips than half of the SEC.

Every year or two, with Stoops, we seem to be approaching closer to the "magic" Blue-Chip ratio of 50%+.

And TCU's win over Michigan should give everyone some hope: it was the first time since the BCS/Playoffs that a team that had not recruited 50% or more blue-chippers won a game in the BCS/Playoffs, with only 17 former 4 Star players on the roster, about half of the total I think we end up with come September 1st.

Yes, but for decades we had three or four 4-Star players matched up with 60 for the top of the conference.

Next year will be our (new) peak under Stoops, with more than 30.

At this level we should have a competitive advantage with our 4 OOC opponents, Vandy, Mizzou and be on the same level with Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and South Carolina.

Looking backward from 2012, it has been since the 70's that we have fielded as many or more Blue-Chips than half of the SEC.

Every year or two, with Stoops, we seem to be approaching closer to the "magic" Blue-Chip ratio of 50%+.

And TCU's win over Michigan should give everyone some hope: it was the first time since the BCS/Playoffs that a team that had not recruited 50% or more blue-chippers won a game in the BCS/Playoffs, with only 17 former 4 Star players on the roster, about half of the total I think we end up with come September 1st.

Of course the number of blue chips matter, but the most important factor is QB play, imo. Without the 2 pick 6's by TCU TCU would not have beaten Mich. Plus I think Mich overlooked them.

And yet UT beat them this year. This mindset, even at UK, is simply a choice of "want to."

Decide whether you REALLY want to let go of it or let it drag you down, whether you want to make a decision and hold to it no matter what crap you see and hear, or change your mind at the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd sign of adversity. The choice and control of the situation is up to you.

I'm a football fan over all other football interests, and a Bears and Steelers fan in terms of pro football. I will still wear my old colors no matter if the team wins or loses.

I will still be a Bears fan even when they suck. I choose not to let what anyone thinks about that bother me in the least. They were the WORST TEAM in the league and have been heading that way for a long time. It likely won't change until the ownership changes. Oh well.

I'm a UK Football fan, and I don't care what anyone says about it. I was a big fan when they sucked on the field and will continue to be when they do well. I know this game is about matchups. It's about schemes and talent, but also about development and execution. Time and timing is also a HUGE factor. You do your best to put yourself in position to win, but 50% of the country loses each week.

Bama can't put more than 11 people on the field at a time. They have 4 and 5 stars on the 3 deep at every position, and still lose. Why? Because talent is important, but work ethic and development, schemes, and matches are still able to trump talent.

Of course we want the best talent we can get. But we can't lose sight of the big picture because we only have 2 5 stars on the roster. We finished short of a 10 win season not for a lack of talent, but for a lack of execution (and some bad play-calling). We finished short of an 11 win season because of our ST and offensive issues this season.

You just have to decide if you're going to give in to the negativity others cling to and rejoice in, or be stronger and NOT ONLY ignore it but exude confidence in your team. That's it

• Love
Reactions: rudd1 and The-Hack
You just have to decide if you're going to give in to the negativity others cling to and rejoice in, or be stronger and NOT ONLY ignore it but exude confidence in your team. That's it
Ultimately, someone will break through the “blue-chip” conundrum, based upon (as Grumpy attests) outstanding QB play (and O-line protection of a freak QB).

And as to the assertion “we will never be elite,” that is very possible. But just 5 years, ago, we were one of just four of the sixty-five P5 programs who had failed to win ten games in a season since 1978 . . . . and the other three had never won ten (I.U., Iowa State, and Vandy - all of whom still have never won ten games in a season).

In 2007, and 2008, I lustily cheered our 8 win seasons, assuming that was pretty much our ceiling.

I was wrong, then.

Others might easily be wrong in their projections, now.

Reactions: cat888
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT