ADVERTISEMENT

We don’t belong in the Champions Classic…

So what's your point? Play worse teams? What a loser mindset. Show up, play the best, improve, and be ready to go by the end of the season. Dudes on here thinking the Champions Classic is some kind of measuring stick for college basketball dominance are just pathetic.

There's been 12 full seasons played since the first Champions Classic. Only 3 times has a Champions Classic team won the NCAA Tournament in those 12 seasons. Only 3 times.

In 2015 Duke won the NCAA Championship, but guess what - KENTUCKY BEAT THEM IN THE CHAMPIONS CLASSIC!!!! Yayyyyyy Champions Classic

By "be ready to go by the end of the season", did you really mean to say, "Win six total tournament games in a six year period?"

At this point it's become embarrassing to say the least. Cal is now an embarrassment to our program with his inability to win the big games.

I wish like hell he would turn things around, but at this point it's become obvious he refuses to change. Time to go Cal...

Winning these games is a VERY big deal. You build your NCAA-T resume by beating ranked teams in the OOC. When you don't beat them your power rankings suffer. When that happens your seed # gets higher and thus your road to a FF gets harder.
It's also a big deal to the fans. We used to beat the hell out of ranked opponents. We don't do that anymore.

Something else we don’t do anymore is win the SECT (or even compete); Sadly CCC has convinced a lot of people it’s not all that important. Carpetbagger be Gone!

Lol, this is such a terrible perspective

Lost by 5 (without 3 7-footers) to the number 1 team in the nation, ok....
Lost last year in double OT
Lost the year before by 8 to Duke, not an upset
Lost the year before by 3 to Kansas, not an upset
The year before, we beat the #1 team in the nation

Overall, we're 5-8, definitely not what we're expecting
Michigan St is also 5-8
Kansas and Duke are both 8-5

So as you can see, no one is straight up dominating. In fact, these are typically really, really good games. Why would we NOT want to play really, really competitive games at potential NCAA Tournament arenas?
Yeah we're 5-8 but you're glossing over the 1-6 over the last 7 part.
I love this team and UK but it doesn't change the fact we are horrendous against Power 5 opponents the last 4-5 seasons.

Last I checked UK still had more of the only championships that matter than anyone else in the field.

They have more combined than msu and Duke or Kansas and msu combined. Duke and ku combined slightly edge out UK 9 to 8.

So what's your point? Play worse teams? What a loser mindset. Show up, play the best, improve, and be ready to go by the end of the season. Dudes on here thinking the Champions Classic is some kind of measuring stick for college basketball dominance are just pathetic.

There's been 12 full seasons played since the first Champions Classic. Only 3 times has a Champions Classic team won the NCAA Tournament in those 12 seasons. Only 3 times.

In 2015 Duke won the NCAA Championship, but guess what - KENTUCKY BEAT THEM IN THE CHAMPIONS CLASSIC!!!! Yayyyyyy Champions Classic
If we are going to keep playing in this classic, we need to win some games. This show up, play the best and improve by the end of the season sounds like a broken record. Losing must not bother you.

If we are going to keep playing in this classic, we need to win some games. This show up, play the best and improve by the end of the season sounds like a broken record. Losing must not bother you.
Tell me you know ZERO about coaching competitive sports without telling me you know ZERO about coaching competitive sports...

Reactions: bevcat
Laugh. I suppose if you feel strongly about it you could not watch
FAU lost a November game last year to Ole Miss. So do posters on here think FAU should've canceled the rest of the season? Stopped trying? Stop scheduling tough opponents? THEY WENT ON TO A FINAL 4!!!!

San Diego St lost TWO games in November last year - Arizona and Arkansas. So what do posters on here want, SDSU banned from the tournament for losing early OOC games? THEY WENT ON TO A FINAL 4!!!

Miami lost last year in November by 18 points to freakin' Maryland. And guess what, THEY WENT TO THE FINAL 4!

And ready for this one....

UCONN had a stretch in the season where they went 2-6 - say that again: 2-6, but they went on to WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

I have no idea why there's so much misplaced obsession on here with losing in the Champions Classic. Play good opponents and you improve, simple as that. Play cupcakes, you don't improve nearly as much. The Champions Classic isn't some amazing indicator of how good a team will turn out.

Who cares about wining if you come close??? Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades... I don't care for the we looked good crap; I want a win no matter who UK play's.... If you want to root for a team that just play's the game go root for U6 down the road.... I have been a UK fan since before I ever saw a game played, we had to listed on the radio back in those days....

GBB

FAU lost a November game last year to Ole Miss. So do posters on here think FAU should've canceled the rest of the season? Stopped trying? Stop scheduling tough opponents? THEY WENT ON TO A FINAL 4!!!!

San Diego St lost TWO games in November last year - Arizona and Arkansas. So what do posters on here want, SDSU banned from the tournament for losing early OOC games? THEY WENT ON TO A FINAL 4!!!

Miami lost last year in November by 18 points to freakin' Maryland. And guess what, THEY WENT TO THE FINAL 4!

UCONN had a stretch in the season where they went 2-6 - say that again: 2-6, but they went on to WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

I have no idea why there's so much misplaced obsession on here with losing in the Champions Classic. Play good opponents and you improve, simple as that. Play cupcakes, you don't improve nearly as much. The Champions Classic isn't some amazing indicator of how good a team will turn out.

It's not about who you play, it's about wins and nothing else matters... I always played to win, if you just played to have fun you are a loser...

GBB

It's not about who you play, it's about wins and nothing else matters... I always played to win, if you just played to have fun you are a loser...

GBB
In all seriousness, that's a really moronic post. You watched the Kentucky game the other night and thought they weren't trying to win? You think Tre Mitchell and Adou Thiero could barely walk off the floor becuase they WERENT trying to win? You thought we built a 14-point lead because we WERENT trying to win?

Gosh damn, senility is a hell of a thing

In all seriousness, that's a really moronic post. You watched the Kentucky game the other night and thought they weren't trying to win? You think Tre Mitchell and Adou Thiero could barely walk off the floor becuase they WERENT trying to win? You thought we built a 14-point lead because we WERENT trying to win?

Gosh damn, senility is a hell of a thing

Hopefully you will live as long as some of us bluebloods as you people call them... Having the kid's trying to win is different than the coach making stupid decisions, don't you think??? The players never lost the game, the coach did.... Now go cry me a river....kid....

GBB

Winning these games is a VERY big deal. You build your NCAA-T resume by beating ranked teams in the OOC. When you don't beat them your power rankings suffer. When that happens your seed # gets higher and thus your road to a FF gets harder.
It's also a big deal to the fans. We used to beat the hell out of ranked opponents. We don't do that anymore.
Bro we don’t care about March, we care about ending generational poverty, draft night, and moral victories. You need to readjust your priorities like a “real fan”

*sarcasm*

Hopefully you will live as long as some of us bluebloods as you people call them... Having the kid's trying to win is different than the coach making stupid decisions, don't you think??? The players never lost the game, the coach did.... Now go cry me a river....kid....

GBB
No no no, you said the team doesn't try to win. You said "if you just play to have fun, you're a loser." Cal ain't the one out there playing, and you never said anything about coaching, so....

Reed turning the ball over late lost the game. Rob turning the ball over late lost the game. Rob taking a terrible shot late lost the game. Dilly losing his mind on defense late lost the game. DJ and Edwards shooting TERRIBLY lost the game.

"When I was a kid...." those always make for highly insightful posts...

You have to look at the ones taking a crap on the cats. They were waiting for the opportunity. Some are merely bitter disgruntled fans that depend on the cants for their sense of worth, some have a deep seeded vile hatred of Calipari and any one else in life that does better than them and many are not KY fans at all. They are U6, IU, Filth and other fans that have been baiting and poking real KY fans for years. There is one thing that always exposes them. When you call them out and they act like you called out the entire Ky fan base, you found one. They like to hide in the blue mist.

No no no, you said the team doesn't try to win. You said "if you just play to have fun, you're a loser." Cal ain't the one out there playing, and you never said anything about coaching, so....

Reed turning the ball over late lost the game. Rob turning the ball over late lost the game. Rob taking a terrible shot late lost the game. Dilly losing his mind on defense late lost the game. DJ and Edwards shooting TERRIBLY lost the game.

"When I was a kid...." those always make for highly insightful posts...

He is the one putting the players on the floor dude not me... So yes it's the player's but its Cal's fault he has the wrong ones in there to end the game.... Don't you watch the game???? Do you pay attention to who is in and who looks tired and needs a break for a couple minutes... That is one of Cal's biggest faults, he play's his favorites.... So yes it is the player's that are in there not keeping their composure at the right time...

GBB

He is the one putting the players on the floor dude not me... So yes it's the player's but its Cal's fault he has the wrong ones in there to end the game.... Don't you watch the game???? Do you pay attention to who is in and who looks tired and needs a break for a couple minutes... That is one of Cal's biggest faults, he play's his favorites.... So yes it is the player's that are in there not keeping their composure at the right time...

GBB
Curious, so if we ended up winning the game with those exact same players, are they still the wrong players? If Reeves would've hit a late shot, or Reed wouldn't have turn the ball over - are they now the right players? What if Aaron Harrison missed the shot against Wisconsin, was he the wrong player to take the shot?

What if every single day in practice, the coaching staff observes who are the "right" players - every single practice for about 6 weeks. Do you think the coaching staff is more likely to know who the "right" players are, or the fanbase watching from their couch on TV?

Reactions: kybassfan

GBB
Actually you are only partially right and quite frankly a small part. You play to do your absolute best. To be the most skilled, the most athletic you can be. The greatest athletes that have ever lived competed mostly with themselves. Best example might be Edwin Moses. Supremely dominant 400 hurdler. He knew the outcome before he ever stepped on the track. He raced to make himself better.

We’ve had athletes think like you. Sharpe is the very best example. His win was the maximum paycheck he could get. He was in it only to win that one thing. MKG Ulis and Shep are more contemporary versions of true athletes. Competitive? Sure. That said their top priority is being the best they can be. Be the best version of yourself That is not merely a platitude, it is a roadmap to being the best that ever existed for anyone with the talent and balls to try it.

Reactions: CatsFanIL
Weird reality: Cal cared more about massaging DJ's and Justin's egos last night than actually winning the game.

Change my mind.
Ever tried to change a flat earthers mind? I’d say you are the one with the freakazoid hypothesis. Let’s see the quote from Cal where he admits he was stroking egos at the expense of the game. Otherwise, just believe what you want and enjoy your foil hat.

Weird reality: Cal cared more about massaging DJ's and Justin's egos last night than actually winning the game.

Change my mind.
The played poorly no doubt. But that had more to do with foul trouble and gaurding there forward. He sat them both in the second half including crunch time. My frustration was how horribly Wagner started and not pulled out to settle him dwn.

1-6 in our last seven. That’s absurdly bad. Time for us to bow out.
Been saying that for years...sad to say we need to join a church league....program has fallen so far that we can no longer compete with the good teams. Thanks Barney & Cal!!

Not old enough apparently. It means your mileage may vary. Common in automobile commercials in the 70s.

And you can EAD.
You seem to be the expert on EAD so Ill leave it to you. Im 62and I know the phrase but never knew it was significant enough to earn an abbreviation.

You seem to be the expert on EAD so Ill leave it to you. Im 62and I know the phrase but never knew it was significant enough to earn an abbreviation.
I don't normally respond to people in that fashion. But you started it with an unwarranted insult, which is normal for many when they don't have an adequate response. I just assumed that you are a mouth breather and responded in your particular vernacular. Deal with it.

I don't normally respond to people in that fashion. But you started it with an unwarranted insult, which is normal for many when they don't have an adequate response. I just assumed that you are a mouth breather and responded in your particular vernacular. Deal with it.
You started with an acronym so I fired one back . Im sure you are a nose breather because iof what occupies your mouth. You started with the infantile response so I responded in kind. Then you break out eat a d!cj which I know you gutless wonder would never say to anyones face. You can pm me if you want to discuss this privately.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT