ADVERTISEMENT

WDRB: In new book, Bobby Turner says he was coerced to play at U of L in late 70's

s-ram

Senior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, Kentucky

In new book, Bobby Turner says he was coerced to play at U of L, but has made peace with it

A new book on Turner, Bobby Turner: Forgotten Legend, written by Louisville native Ginger White, tells the story Turner has wanted to tell for many years, about when his father, who owned clubs in the West End that dealt in gambling, protected by police he paid to leave him alone, pulled up a chair and had a discussion with his son.

“Son, I’ve never asked you to do anything, ever,” White writes in the story Turner related to her. “I need you to do this one thing for me. I need you to sign with U of L.”

White goes on to write that Earl Turner told his son that if he didn’t go to Louisville, his arrangement with police would be over, that he’d be arrested and sent to jail. Earl Turner told his son that the police chief and then coach Denny Crum knew. Bobby Turner never looked into any of that. And all these years later, he’s not interested in following it up. Jerry Eaves, a former Louisville player and current radio host for 1080 AM in Louisville, contacted Crum in Europe on vacation recently to ask him about Turner’s story. Eaves said Crum didn’t know anything about what Turner was alleging.

“The thing about my dad, he worked so hard,” Turner said. “He had 16 kids to take care of. He had to work a lot. If he asked me to do it again, I’d still do it. I have that much love for him. Although I gave up where I wanted to go, sometimes you’ve got to do something for your family. I had a lot of brothers and sisters. I had to take care of my dad. I couldn’t leave him out there like that.”............... http://www.wdrb.com/story/36168452/...-to-play-at-u-of-l-but-has-made-peace-with-it

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News