ADVERTISEMENT

WCS says Cal drew recruits not UK.

I’m guessing the video went longer, because he didn’t say anything like the title of the article..or some Arkansas writer is grasping for straws. Sounded like any other former Cal player interview since he went to Ark, but it gets twisted into some Cal vs UK stuff.

Was John Wall coming here before Cal? Cousins? Bledsoe? Davis? KAT? MKG?

Having a gig at UK certainly helps, but let’s not kid ourselves and pretend 99.9% of athletes care about UK history or tradition.

Can a coach recruit at UK and fill a team with decent players? Sure. Can they recruit like Cal?

There isn’t a better recruiter in all of college basketball and I doubt we see much of a slowdown at Arky.

Having a gig at UK certainly helps, but let’s not kid ourselves and pretend 99.9% of athletes care about UK history or tradition.

Can a coach recruit at UK and fill a team with decent players? Sure. Can they recruit like Cal?

There isn’t a better recruiter in all of college basketball and I doubt we see much of a slowdown at Arky.
Pitino certainly could recruit like Cal. But he and Cal never got the amount of recruits they did till they were at Kentucky.

Who cares? The issue was never recruits. It was coaching. Which he is awful at.

I think this is why it's so important Pope has early success at Kentucky.

We have kids who unfortunately and wrongly thinking that Cal made UK when really it's UK that makes the already "average" coach to an elite one. None of our prior coaches had won a National Championship before coming to the Bluegrass.

Even if Cal was the main reason for getting all these five stars then he got the wrong recruits for a place like UK. Would rather have 4 star recruits that can shoot, dribble, play defense, pass and play team ball. Just saw where Cal is getting a little worried about the AR fans expectations. He told them to tone down their expectations. They already have sold out their arena for the year. Cal said he was trying to tell them they have only had a team for a few months and it is going to take patience and time.

Even if Cal was the main reason for getting all these five stars then he got the wrong recruits for a place like UK. Would rather have 4 star recruits that can shoot, dribble, play defense, pass and play team ball. Just saw where Cal is getting a little worried about the AR fans expectations. He told them to tone down their expectations. They already have sold out their arena for the year. Cal said he was trying to tell them they have only had a team for a few months and it is going to take patience and time.
I will not miss the summer of hype, followed by the “temper expectations” talk.

It’s going be interesting to watch Cal at Ark. I felt if he coached after UK, it would’ve been somewhere with low pressure- basically happy to make the NCAAT. Arkansas isn’t UK, but he isn’t going have a long leash with them either. He better win big and quick, or he’ll hear the same stuff he was hearing in Lexington the last 4-5 years.

He's in position to land a monster class. He already has a commitment from Acuff. He's in a great position with Dybantsa, Peterson, Thomas, Wilson, and Sealy. It's why I was hoping Cal wouldn't crap the bed until after next season when a bunch of those guys would have joined a sophomore Quaintance in Lexington.

Cal screwed it all up. It's 100% on him.

Reactions: chroix
No young guys over the past 20 years knows about kentucky tradition, cares about kentucky tradition. Only kids from Kentucky, which Cal pushed away. He did not see a need to teach the life lessons to kentucky kids like he did his 5* guys. He did not want to tear down Edwards, bradshaw, wagner but had no trouble leaving Sheppard on the bench and not starting one of the best players.

CAL is a piece of CRAP. Plain and simple. He will say whatever and then backtrack or tell someone you misunderstood me. Glad he is away from here. He does not deserve to be in the rafters of Rupp. He will be but I do not think he deserves it.

• Haha
Reactions: DCWildcatFan
nobody cares bfd GIF

I don’t know man, Mashburn was pretty good. Antoine Walker. Ron Mercer. Kenny Walker for that matter. Sam Bowie. Rex Chapman.

We’ve never really hurt for talent, for the most part. Couple of thin stretches with Tubby and BCG.

Cal put it into hyper drive. No doubt. But it was also a revolving door. I think we’ll be ok.

Awww, bless their hearts. They keep conflating recruiting and winning. Of course Cal can recruit. He just won't adapt, show any humility, or coach effectively in the modern era.
Can't adapt, has no humility, and can't coach is a better description

Well I'll bet coach k and the current duke coach would disagree.

I don’t get even get the debate . For most 5 star Recruits these days it’s going to be the coach was the reason they committed.

Well throw in NIL also but pre NIL it was the coach . That’s for damn every school .

Kentucky did help Coach Cals brand though.

There are certain cases where a Reed Sheppard or Travis Perry is committing because they love the university. That isn’t the norm though .

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
No young guys over the past 20 years knows about kentucky tradition, cares about kentucky tradition. Only kids from Kentucky, which Cal pushed away. He did not see a need to teach the life lessons to kentucky kids like he did his 5* guys. He did not want to tear down Edwards, bradshaw, wagner but had no trouble leaving Sheppard on the bench and not starting one of the best players.

CAL is a piece of CRAP. Plain and simple. He will say whatever and then backtrack or tell someone you misunderstood me. Glad he is away from here. He does not deserve to be in the rafters of Rupp. He will be but I do not think he deserves it.
Ccc is nothing more than an over paid used car salesman. Nothing more important than his 5 star recruits, even though they weren't basketball players

Cal is 66 years old, he’s lost his fastball and won’t be in this game much longer. His best recruiting years are well behind him and his success was greatly benefitted by having the UK logo on his jacket.
He’s recruiting to Arkansas, which is a program with a blip on history’s radar long before any of these players were born. He doesn’t have the young recruiting staff that all successful coaches know is crucial.
Cal is also becoming known more for players that were mismanaged at this point in his career.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT