UK Moves up 10 spots in ESPN Way Too Early Top 25

Crankdatmustard

Senior
Gold Member
Jul 18, 2010
The Kentucky Football Podcast

9. Kentucky Wildcats

Previous: 19

Entering the offseason, it was clear John Calipari wanted to make major changes within the program. With the dust presumably settled, both the roster and staff have undergone a complete overhaul. Out went Brandon Boston Jr., Olivier Sarr, Isaiah Jackson and Devin Askew. In came three more transfers and another five-star prospect. Two assistant coaches left, replaced by two assistants from Illinois. But the team as a whole is in much better shape than it was last season. The team lacked consistent shooting and capable playmakers a year ago; that's been solved. Sahvir Wheeler led the SEC in assists at Georgia, while TyTy Washington was one of the premier point guards at the high school level. Kellan Grady made at least 50 3-pointers in all four seasons at Davidson, and Iowa transfer CJ Fredrick might have been the best pure shooter in the portal, making better than 46% of his 3-point attempts. Next season's lineups should have better balance, the team should have better depth -- and more experience. The return of Davion Mintz could boost this ranking even higher.

Projected starting lineup:

Sahvir Wheeler (14.0 PPG, 7.4 APG at Georgia)
TyTy Washington (No. 12 in ESPN 100)
Kellan Grady (17.1 PPG at Davidson)
Keion Brooks Jr. (10.3 PPG, 6.8 RPG)
Oscar Tshiebwe (8.5 PPG, 7.8 RPG at West Virginia)

I remember there was a time that a recruit/transfer would not go near a school that was under investigation from the NCAA. If there was a hint of it, that school just would not get the big-time recruits until it was resolved.

NOW? Kansas just keeps trucking along, and no one seems to care. And to think, we were once taken to the woodshed over $1,000.

I remember there was a time that a recruit/transfer would not go near a school that was under investigation from the NCAA. If there was a hint of it, that school just would not get the big-time recruits until it was resolved.

NOW? Kansas just keeps trucking along, and no one seems to care. And to think, we were once taken to the woodshed over $1,000.
Not to mention L$U. Just keep making tho$e $trong a$$ offer$

Last edited:
Cracks me up when they come out with rankings this early when teams still may be adding player or players leaving. I hope we are in the top 10 but I will wait and see what kind of team we have on the floor before i get excited to see if we are a top 10 team.

Ooof.. I really don't think a team that missed the tournament should be put in the top25. Even if its likely. Those teams should have to work their way in.

Said this about MSU a few years ago.. going from like 16 losses to being preseason favorite the following year.. and they didn't really add a top class from what I recall.

I do not think UK will TRULY be a top10 team until SEC play. We would really need a few players to be a surprise.

Reactions: westerncat
I like our roster much better than what we trotted out there last year (on paper at least). That being said I see no stars on this team so it's going to have to be a lot of solid players with great chemistry.

How many top 10 teams has Cal had here without a 1st (or 2nd) team All-American?

Reactions: Montana81

Yet recruits snub UK because in 2014/15, Cal ran a platoon that appeared to be fun for the players to run and created a situation where they were running opponents out of the gym and flirting with an undefeated season.

I'm missing something.

Ooof.. I really don't think a team that missed the tournament should be put in the top25. Even if its likely. Those teams should have to work their way in.

Said this about MSU a few years ago.. going from like 16 losses to being preseason favorite the following year.. and they didn't really add a top class from what I recall.

I do not think UK will TRULY be a top10 team until SEC play. We would really need a few players to be a surprise.
I always thought they based these rankings on where they think teams will finish in March/April.
Ranking teams on where they might be in November seems kind of pointless.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I wouldn't rule out Washington or even Collins eventually being players on that level. Take the 2011 team - Knight was the only real star on that team. Knight came out of high school with a bigger rep than Washington, but Tyty is rising at a rate that suggests he may have been underrated, while Knight looked overrated compared to his exalted high school ranking the first half of his year at Kentucky.
I mean, if that happens we'll be pretty damn good. I'm not counting on Collins being even close to that level (as a freshman). Washington, maybe, but I don't see that in him either.

Terrence Jones was a monster coming out of high school, too. He didn't play at an All-American level throughout his entire freshman year but I'm also not sure we have anyone even on that level this year.

I will wait till sec games next season to make an assumption. Yes, for the first time under Cal, we have a potential veteran lineup, but will Cal actually play small ball? If Collins make a splash, Allen improves, maybe. But way way to early for this assumption.

Reactions: STL_Cat

9. Kentucky Wildcats

Entering the offseason, it was clear John Calipari wanted to make major changes within the program. With the dust presumably settled, both the roster and staff have undergone a complete overhaul. Out went Brandon Boston Jr., Olivier Sarr, Isaiah Jackson and Devin Askew. In came three more transfers and another five-star prospect. Two assistant coaches left, replaced by two assistants from Illinois. But the team as a whole is in much better shape than it was last season. The team lacked consistent shooting and capable playmakers a year ago; that's been solved. Sahvir Wheeler led the SEC in assists at Georgia, while TyTy Washington was one of the premier point guards at the high school level. Kellan Grady made at least 50 3-pointers in all four seasons at Davidson, and Iowa transfer CJ Fredrick might have been the best pure shooter in the portal, making better than 46% of his 3-point attempts. Next season's lineups should have better balance, the team should have better depth -- and more experience. The return of Davion Mintz could boost this ranking even higher.

I think that’s our starting five unless Mintz comes back. With Mintz back, Cal probably starts him at the 2 and let’s Washington and Wheeler fight it out for PG minutes. I predict Wheeler to start the season as starting PG with Washington taking over by the start of SEC play, in that scenario.

I could also see Toppin or Collins replacing Brooks in the starting five if Brooks doesn’t make significant improvements on his perimeter skills (handle, shooting).

Grady and Tshiebwe are as close to “locks” to start as you can get on this team.

Reactions: UK CAT in FL
I'm not predicting it. I'm just saying it is possible.

Jackson didn't start generating any buzz that I can recall until sometime around September of last year: Before that he was a four star deemed a year away from doing much. Same with SGA and Herro. Is there a breakout freshman among Washington, Hopkins and Collins? I am hopeful. If so, for the first time ever on a Cal team that player would be surrounded by veteran near-stars in Oscar, Grady and even Wheeler, who I am higher on than most others on this board.
And Jackson was good ... but was he anywhere even close to an All-American? Nope, not even close. I'm just being realistic here. If this team is going to be a top 10 team, it's likely going to be an exception to the rule as opposed to one of the standard top 10 Cal teams.

I am not expecting a lot out of Collins this year as he has not played basketball to many years. His offense may be behind others but may be a force on defense. Just have to wait and see.

That lineup is smallball but I wouldn’t mind giving it a chance.
It’s hard to see a scenario in which Allen doesn’t start. And if he doesn’t start, nor log many minutes, why is he’s still hanging around?

So many on this board think having an abundance of guards is a blessing. I think it’s not. Some players aren’t going to be happy.

Many teams play 7 or 8 total guys these days. We could’ve done that this coming season. But alas….

IMO, all preseason rankings are a prediction on how teams will finish. Through the years, most of the preseason polls have been very accurate

Reactions: susan2361
Is it though? I actually think the opposite. I think it's hard to see a scenario where Allen DOES start. I don't think he will.
Which begs the question, as Cal brought in guys, some of whom bring the same things to the table as he does, why in the world is he sticking around? Very strange.

Which begs the question, as Cal brought in guys, some of whom bring the same things to the table as he does, why in the world is he sticking around? Very strange.
He's going to have to run some type of platoon. He probably won't call it that, he may not sub 5 in 5 out en masse, it may not see equal distribution of minutes, but he'll have to run some type of system that utilizes a deep bench to keep players happy. And I'm perfectly fine with that; I've made no secret of the fact that I am a fan of the platoon. Loved it in 2015 before Poy got hurt.

I like our roster much better than what we trotted out there last year (on paper at least). That being said I see no stars on this team so it's going to have to be a lot of solid players with great chemistry.

How many top 10 teams has Cal had here without a 1st (or 2nd) team All-American?
2 seasons ago we did. In the 6 to 8 range without an all American.

We also made a championship game in 14 and final 4 in 11 without one so sometimes it's the sum of the parts and some heart

I wouldn't rule out Washington or even Collins eventually being players on that level. Take the 2011 team - Knight was the only real star on that team. Knight came out of high school with a bigger rep than Washington, but Tyty is rising at a rate that suggests he may have been underrated, while Knight looked overrated compared to his exalted high school ranking the first half of his year at Kentucky.
How was Knight overrated? He went what like 7th in the whole draft?

He wasn't overrated by the end of the year. But he came out of high school ranked Top Five by most services. And he struggled a bit early in the year - the early UConn game, all those early SEC road games. He looked like a big step down from John Wall early in the year, which is the unfair standard that was applied to him.
Gotcha.

9. Kentucky Wildcats

seems we was ranked last year to. not going to make them win any more games lets just wait and see what happens.

Maybe he just actually loves playing for the name on the front of jersey...would that be so bad? Been a while since that has been the case it seems.

I think UK has a really good opportunity to be a top 10-12 team with the way the roster has been put together. One thing is for sure- the powers to be won’t be able to hold the schedule against us.

Reactions: Montana81

Strange, why? He's not a proven stud on NBA radar and it's not like he's a cant miss guy. Maybe he understands that he has work to do and he believes that Cal and the staff are the coaches to get the most out of him. Maybe, he doesn't exaggerate his ability like so many on this board.

seems we was ranked last year to. not going to make them win any more games lets just wait and see what happens.
We have a Top 10 (maybe Top 5) roster. Whether we have a Top 10 or 5 TEAM remains to be seen. I think we will, but we thought so last year as well. I do believe this team will be really good.

ADVERTISEMENT