ADVERTISEMENT

Way to Early UK Vs Duke Matchup

canebreak

Senior
Jan 26, 2004
I know nothing about any of our players or Dukes players, other than the Cooper kid is the "second coming" according to dukies. I am sure Duke will be favored, but are they decidedly better? Right or wrong, this game may have huge consequences for how fans set expectations. As for coaching can we see either team has an advantage. I guess JS did ok at Duke this year but is he feared yet....not by me.

Would love to hear someone knowledgeable break it down.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

Tired Tv Land GIF by TV Land Classic

I know nothing about any of our players or Dukes players, other than the Cooper kid is the "second coming" according to dukies. I am sure Duke will be favored, but are they decidedly better? Right or wrong, this game may have huge consequences for how fans set expectations. As for coaching can we see either team has an advantage. I guess JS did ok at Duke this year but is he feared yet....not by me.

There isn't anything to break down by someone knowledgeable or otherwise.

Is it just a Kentucky phenomenon or is this just sports fandom in general to bounce from one worry to another? As a fan, I want to win every game, but obviously that isn't likely to happen. I can assure you that losing one game to out of conference Duke isn't going to make or break UK's season.

There isn't anything to break down by someone knowledgeable or otherwise.

Is it just a Kentucky phenomenon or is this just sports fandom in general to bounce from one worry to another? As a fan, I want to win every game, but obviously that isn't likely to happen. I can assure you that losing one game to out of conference Duke isn't going to make or break UK's season.

I mean, he didn't say it was a worry, and he didn't say that a loss would make or break UK's season. He is just a fan and is excited for the season to start and wants to talk about our first big test.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I love looking at matchups anytime, was actually watching some of the highlight tapes for Dukes guys when I was bored last week trying to get a feel for them.

I think Duke will be favored because of their recruiting class but man I like the matchup for us.

I mean, he didn't say it was a worry, and he didn't say that a loss would make or break UK's season. He is just a fan and is excited for the season to start and wants to talk about our first big test.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I love looking at matchups anytime, was actually watching some of the highlight tapes for Dukes guys when I was bored last week trying to get a feel for them.

I think Duke will be favored because of their recruiting class but man I like the matchup for us.
"Right or wrong, this game may have huge consequences for how fans set expectations." This is what I was commenting on. However, I get your point.

Reactions: Tampa_cat54
"Right or wrong, this game may have huge consequences for how fans set expectations." This is what I was commenting on. However, I get your point.
Odd. I am not worried. Kind of just fascinated by the remarkable change in philosophy from our team last year to this year. Sounds like you have a beef about something, but I will just leave that to you. I will quietly go away.

PG: Bulter/Kriisa vs. Proctor/James
SG: Robinson/Chandler/Perry vs Foster/Knueppel
SF: Brea/Oweh/Noah vs Evans/Gillis/Sheffield
PF: Carr/Almonor vs Flagg/Brown
C: Williams/Garrison vs Maluach/Ngongba

Both teams are 2 deep (or more) at every position. They will likely give heavy minutes to freshmen and we probably won't. They have a great 4-man transfer class of role players to blend into the 6-man freshman class and 2 returnees.

They'll probably start with Flagg at the '3', Brown at the '4', and Evans off the bench, but with their deep SF/Wing crew, I don't know how the minutes will work out for them (or us if we are being honest)

... which means, for me, read only.

PG: Bulter/Kriisa vs. Proctor/James
SG: Robinson/Chandler/Perry vs Foster/Knueppel
SF: Brea/Oweh/Noah vs Evans/Gillis/Sheffield
PF: Carr/Almonor vs Flagg/Brown
C: Williams/Garrison vs Maluach/Ngongba

Both teams are 2 deep (or more) at every position. They will likely give heavy minutes to freshmen and we probably won't. They have a great 4-man transfer class of role players to blend into the 6-man freshman class and 2 returnees.

They'll probably start with Flagg at the '3', Brown at the '4', and Evans off the bench, but with their deep SF/Wing crew, I don't know how the minutes will work out for them (or us if we are being honest)
Every team is 2-deep at every position. But when I look at Duke, I'm not impressed. 8 of their 12 are 6'5-6'6, the other 4 are 6'8, 6'8, 6'10, 7'2. So they could cause some matchup problems for smaller guards (both our PG are 6'2-6'3). But they have no backup PG for Proctor (who is more a Combo-guard himself). James is a SG/SF, not a PG. They should shoot 3's well though.
C: Duke will play a couple of young/raw bigs. I got to give Williams and Garrison the advantage here.
PF: Brown will help, allowing Flagg to play some SF. I think Carr did well vs Duke last year, so I think this one is close.
SF & SG: I got to put Robinson, Brea, Oweh over Foster, Gillis, Knueppel, James, Sheffield.
PG: While I do think Proctor is pretty even with Kriisa and Butler, he has no backup so have to give us the advantage here too.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Every team is 2-deep at every position. But when I look at Duke, I'm not impressed. 8 of their 12 are 6'5-6'6, the other 4 are 6'8, 6'8, 6'10, 7'2. So they could cause some matchup problems for smaller guards (both our PG are 6'2-6'3). But they have no backup PG for Proctor (who is more a Combo-guard himself). James is a SG/SF, not a PG. They should shoot 3's well though.
C: Duke will play a couple of young/raw bigs. I got to give Williams and Garrison the advantage here.
PF: Brown will help, allowing Flagg to play some SF. I think Carr did well vs Duke last year, so I think this one is close.
SF & SG: I got to put Robinson, Brea, Oweh over Foster, Gillis, Knueppel, James, Sheffield.
PG: While I do think Proctor is pretty even with Kriisa and Butler, he has no backup so have to give us the advantage here too.

2 deep with potential starters. Most teams have a clear line between their top 6-7 and the rest.

Odd. I am not worried. Kind of just fascinated by the remarkable change in philosophy from our team last year to this year. Sounds like you have a beef about something, but I will just leave that to you. I will quietly go away.
The only thing odd is the thought that a single game before the start of the season could have that much of an impact on a season. If we lose, it wouldn't be the first time we lost a game to Duke.

Reactions: wccat2969
Until I see how the Duke freshmen adapt to college ball, I will say UK has a pretty good advantage at most positions. A LOT of their production will be depending on freshmen.

That is honesty great size for a small ball type team with 2 good size big men.

We do need a W over them though. Cal sucked against them.

The only thing odd is the thought that a single game before the start of the season could have that much of an impact on a season. If we lose, it wouldn't be the first time we lost a game to Duke.
Yeah , losing in the Champions Classic had become a UK tradition under Cal .

• Angry
Reactions: Fox2monk
One game won’t break the season but I hate Duke and when I tell you the pain i felt when that Zion team took it to us .

I expect this to be a close competitive game .

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT