ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Jaxson Robinson

MdWIldcat55

All-American
Dec 9, 2007
I put some BYU games on via Youtube as background while doing some work-related reading that didn't require full attention last night -- a couple February wins over Kansas and Baylor, an early win over NC State...

I love how quickly and decisively he gets off a shot. He has NBA range. He moves well without the ball, got open with some nice cuts to the basket. And he was a better finisher than I thought. While certainly not making a direct comparison, there was a little bit of college ball Devin Booker in his game in terms of his ability to score in different ways and get to the basket with deceptive quickness, sort of a glide to the hoop.

He also seemed active on defense. I came away impressed. I'd done a similar exercise watching Chaz Lanier when Kentucky was in the running - against lesser competition. I'll leave it at this: If I could only have one, I wouldn't hesitate to take Robinson.

Last edited:
I put some BYU games on via Youtube as background while doing some work-related reading that didn't require full attention last night -- a couple February wins over Kansas and Baylor, an early win over NC State...

I love how quickly and decisively he gets off a shot. He has NBA range. He moves well without the ball, got open with some nice cuts to the basket. And he was a better finisher than I thought. While certainly not making a direct comparison, there was a little bit of Devin Booker in his game in terms of his ability to score in different ways -- at least the Devin I remember at UK (don't watch that much NBA.)

He also seemed active on defense. I came away impressed. I'd done a similar exercise watching Chaz Lanier when Kentucky was in the running - against lesser competition. I'll leave it at this: If I could only have one, I wouldn't hesitate to take Robinson.
I think Robinson is going to be similar in offensive production(not how but how many) but way better on D.

I love how quickly and decisively he gets off a shot. He has NBA range. He moves well without the ball, got open with some nice cuts to the basket. And he was a better finisher than I thought. While certainly not making a direct comparison, there was a little bit of Devin Booker in his game in terms of his ability to score in different ways and get to the basket with deceptive quickness, sort of a glide to the hoop -- at least the Devin I remember at UK (don't watch that much NBA.)

Bravo.

Reactions: Fox2monk

I love how quickly and decisively he gets off a shot. He has NBA range. He moves well without the ball, got open with some nice cuts to the basket. And he was a better finisher than I thought. While certainly not making a direct comparison, there was a little bit of college ball Devin Booker in his game in terms of his ability to score in different ways and get to the basket with deceptive quickness, sort of a glide to the hoop.

Thanks for the write up, I watched a couple BYU games but didn’t pay attention to him that much. I need to check some film out.

He reminds me of Allen Edwards (upper classmen version) with better handle and an upgraded three point shot.

Reactions: JASUN74
Did not know it but Robinson looks to be just as dangerous as Reeves was. He has a great feel moving off the ball, getting his own shot, has a great release on his shot and can score at all three levels effectively. His size and long arms with those kind of skills makes him hard to guard also. Lot of fans wanted a go to guy and one that could create his own shot. Robinson is just that. Potential to carry us in a lot of games like Reeves did. Two things that he may be better than Reeves at is moving without the ball and utilizing screens to get open. Just a high level player.

I have seen him play a lot, he's a streaky spot up shooter. He needs to work on his handles, hes a serviceable defender, doesn’t rebound very well considering his size. He shot 39% from field and 29% from three in conference. Which I think is a result of him trying to do too much. He’s a 3&D guy, that should be his focus, he’s doesn’t need to be trying to drive and finish at the rim, that’s just not his game. Still a very good piece and definitely someone who will be a solid addition.

Reactions: Catzman
I have seen him play a lot, he's a streaky spot up shooter. He needs to work on his handles, hes a serviceable defender, doesn’t rebound very well considering his size. He shot 39% from field and 29% from three in conference. Which I think is a result of him trying to do too much. He’s a 3&D guy, that should be his focus, he’s doesn’t need to be trying to drive and finish at the rim, that’s just not his game. Still a very good piece and definitely someone who will be a solid addition.

Yeah but you've already divulged that you aren't a UK fan so of course you're not going to get excited about ANY UK signee and downplay the one's that we get, Hilarious watching all the sad faces around here as they liked US being sad under Cal and now most of us are refreshed and that makes our rivals SEETHE.

Still writing paragraphs of nonsense on opponents' messageboards throughout each day? Your parents must be proud lol

Reactions: delk4three
Did not know it but Robinson looks to be just as dangerous as Reeves was. He has a great feel moving off the ball, getting his own shot, has a great release on his shot and can score at all three levels effectively. His size and long arms with those kind of skills makes him hard to guard also. Lot of fans wanted a go to guy and one that could create his own shot. Robinson is just that. Potential to carry us in a lot of games like Reeves did. Two things that he may be better than Reeves at is moving without the ball and utilizing screens to get open. Just a high level player.
I take Reeves 10 out of 10 times over JR. I understand being excited but this has to be hyperbole. Reeves was an awesome player, super efficient, biggest stages, it’s just not the same. Respectfully.

Yeah but you've already divulged that you aren't a UK fan so of course you're not going to get excited about ANY UK signee and downplay the one's that we get, Hilarious watching all the sad faces around here as they liked US being sad under Cal and now most of us are refreshed and that makes our rivals SEETHE.
Lmao him and Butters bitchass are in full meltdown mode since Jaxson

Are you sure you watched him? From what I've seen he can score at all 3 levels, has above average handles, and NBA measurables. He is above average in PNR, shoots 73.4% (15% better than D1 average) at the rim, and has a 6'11" wingspan, but he shouldn't drive and finish at the rim? 🤦‍♂ And, he's only going to get better this year.

He wasn't limited to a 3&D role last year and won't be this year. I think I'll trust Mark Pope over you. 🤪

Being excited or not doesn’t change what it is. I mean I’m not trying to run the kid down and I’m certainly not seething, I’m just saying I’ve watched him play a lot and giving an opinion. Have you considered that maybe you’re being overly sensitive? I love the Noah kid, he’s going to great before it’s all said and done. I think the SDS guard is a great get and winner, love that pick up. I think Chandler could be a real find and possibly an all SEC guy before it’s all said and done. Coach Pope did fine putting a roster together, I’m just saying Robinson is being overrated, no more no less. If that’s being a troll or mean, whatever…I guess I’ll have to wear that. I stand by it, Ive seen him more than anybody here, I know what the kid is. I will say he’s a great kid though, and an excellent ambassador for the University, and that is worth something too. He’s definitely a net positive but he’s not Reeves, that’s all I’m saying.

Are you sure you watched him? From what I've seen he can score at all 3 levels, has above average handles, and NBA measurables. He is above average in PNR, shoots 73.4% (15% better than D1 average) at the rim, and has a 6'11" wingspan, but he shouldn't drive and finish at the rim? 🤦‍♂ And, he's only going to get better this year.

He wasn't limited to a 3&D role last year and won't be this year. I think I'll trust Mark Pope over you. 🤪
He’s never been a regular starter at any of the programs he’s been in. He shot 39% from the field and 29% from three in conference play, not because he can’t shoot, but because he got away from his 3&D game. He killed non conference because he played within the system and did more spot up/catch and shoot stuff. Once he had success he tried to elevate his game doing all this other stuff and the bottom fell out of his percentages. I’m not saying he “can’t”, I’m saying he “shouldn’t”.

Still writing paragraphs of nonsense on opponents' messageboards throughout each day? Your parents must be proud lol
I live right, do right by people, work hard, am a good father, good husband, God fearing, don’t drink or do drugs, yeah man they are pretty proud. Why does talking basketball upset you so much, seriously?

Your posting suggests you are a Kansas fan.

Maybe you are troubled that Jaxson has no arrests or documented history of assaulting or abusing women, and therefore doesn't fit the classic profile of a Jailhawk player. He looked plenty good as the leading BYU scorer in a win at Phog Allen, under the shadow of the Helms banners.
I’m an Arkansas fan and watched him for a year with own two eyes…I don’t understand why talking basketball always has to devolve into all this personal attack stuff, it’s weird man.

Being excited or not doesn’t change what it is. I mean I’m not trying to run the kid down and I’m certainly not seething, I’m just saying I’ve watched him play a lot and giving an opinion. Have you considered that maybe you’re being overly sensitive? I love the Noah kid, he’s going to great before it’s all said and done. I think the SDS guard is a great get and winner, love that pick up. I think Chandler could be a real find and possibly an all SEC guy before it’s all said and done. Coach Pope did fine putting a roster together, I’m just saying Robinson is being overrated, no more no less. If that’s being a troll or mean, whatever…I guess I’ll have to wear that. I stand by it, Ive seen him more than anybody here, I know what the kid is. I will say he’s a great kid though, and an excellent ambassador for the University, and that is worth something too. He’s definitely a net positive but he’s not Reeves, that’s all I’m saying.
No offense but when rival fan is contantly trying to downplay UK, you're wasting your time. But feel free to throw your time in the trash can. Totally your perogative.

I’m an Arkansas fan and watched him for a year with own two eyes…I don’t understand why talking basketball always has to devolve into all this personal attack stuff, it’s weird man.
I hope I don't bruise your delicate feelings even more, but the idea of spending one second -- much less hours and hours over weeks and months -- on an Arkansas basketball board would strike me as weird and infantile behavior. That's assuming there even is such a thing. I understand trying to ingratiate yourself with fans of an elite program when you are stuck rooting for an ordinary one. But you have nothing better to do?

I live right, do right by people, work hard, am a good father, good husband, God fearing, don’t drink or do drugs, yeah man they are pretty proud. Why does talking basketball upset you so much, seriously?
Sure lol. I can't imagine being bored enough to look at Arkansas's messageboard yet alone spend every day writing paragraph after paragraph arguing over UK's basketball players.

He’s never been a regular starter at any of the programs he’s been in. He shot 39% from the field and 29% from three in conference play, not because he can’t shoot, but because he got away from his 3&D game. He killed non conference because he played within the system and did more spot up/catch and shoot stuff. Once he had success he tried to elevate his game doing all this other stuff and the bottom fell out of his percentages. I’m not saying he “can’t”, I’m saying he “shouldn’t”.

He started 30/33 games in '23. He was his team's leading scorer last year, and is projected to play in the NBA. His reduction in percentage was due to poorer 3pt shooting, not poorer 2pt shooting, so the theory that him going away from his 3&D game resulted in his drop in percentage is not valid. He shot more volume from 3pt land in conference, because his team relied on him heavily, and saw a drop in efficiency. He won't be needed to shoot that much this year so his 3pt percent should be 36% or above. His 2pt percent should be above 53%, which is fine. He can and should seek to score at the rim, not only because he shoots a good percent inside the arc, but because he shoots 90%+ at the free throw line. He will be hard to guard next year.

Last edited:
No offense but when rival fan is contantly trying to downplay UK, you're wasting your time. But feel free to throw your time in the trash can. Totally your perogative.
How is giving an objective opinion, from first hand experience, “downplaying”? I mean I haven’t even said anything negative. Basketball opinions, aren’t “negative”, it’s just basketball. It’s not like I said he was a bad guy, actually that’s the thing you guys haven’t learned yet…He is a great kid, you’ll love him.

Has the Arkansas fan actually talked shit about Kentucky or is he just trying to talk hoops? I have no issues with a rival fan coming over to talk basketball peacefully. Everything I’ve seen, he’s been respectful. Just an observation
If you call a mini compliment of someone followed by digs and pessimism toward our players coaches and program then we have different perceptions of 'respectful'. His goal seems to be to needle or undermine everything UK and then cry that he is being treated unfair. Rinse and repeat. His hatred of UK must be incredibly intense. If we beat Arkansas at Rupp this season this dude will not sleep for a week.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
Has the Arkansas fan actually talked shit about Kentucky or is he just trying to talk hoops? I have no issues with a rival fan coming over to talk basketball peacefully. Everything I’ve seen, he’s been respectful. Just an observation
Not once, just talking ball man.

• Haha
Reactions: UKortho
If you call a mini compliment of someone followed by digs and pessimism toward our players coaches and program then we have different perceptions of 'respectful'. His goal seems to be to needle or undermine everything UK and then cry that he is being treated unfair. Rinse and repeat. His hatred of UK must be incredibly intense. If we beat Arkansas at Rupp this season this dude will not sleep for a week.
I haven’t done that, I don’t “hate” KY. I’ve said a hundred times, I want KY to be good…we need KY to be good. It’s important for our conference, from a selfish perspective and a national perspective. I’ve not been negative about anything, just because I believe JR is being touted as something he’s not, isn’t negative, it doesn’t mean he’s not a good addition, none of that. Just basketball wise, he may not be what you expect. Hey man, if I’m wrong, I have no issue eating every bit of my crow. He may score 30 and KY beat us by a 100, if so…I’ll be here to eat my plate of crap.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Jaxson Robinson attempted 15 3's per 100 possessions.

For comparison, Reeves attempted 9.8 3's per 100 possessions this past season.

Robinson is going to rapid fire from deep lol
I'm kind of thinking/hoping that Pope will try to have him get to the rim a little more this season. With so many good shooters, in theory we should be able to create more lanes for him. He's a great free throw shooter so having him get to the basket and drawing a foul seems like it would be better analytically. But I'm far from an expert.

Reactions: UK67KU59
I'm kind of thinking/hoping that Pope will try to have him get to the rim a little more this season. With so many good shooters, in theory we should be able to create more lanes for him. He's a great free throw shooter so having him get to the basket and drawing a foul seems like it would be better analytically. But I'm far from an expert.
I’d like to see that too. I like him but then again I like a lot of players Pope has assembled. Seems to me we will have many kids who can be the leading scorer on a given night.

I hope I don't bruise your delicate feelings even more, but the idea of spending one second -- much less hours and hours over weeks and months -- on an Arkansas basketball board would strike me as weird and infantile behavior. That's assuming there even is such a thing. I understand trying to ingratiate yourself with fans of an elite program when you are stuck rooting for an ordinary one. But you have nothing better to do?
Well his sister/aunt is busy so…

How far as what you say makes sense?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT