ADVERTISEMENT

Watch today's game vs Liberty...

So whats the deal with Storm Wilson/Gunnar McNeal - They just bench guys now? Their season BAs from a year ago will be higher than some guys in front of them this season IMO - and if they improved off of last year you could see .275-.300 with some power from McNeal...

So whats the deal with Storm Wilson/Gunnar McNeal - They just bench guys now? Their season BAs from a year ago will be higher than some guys in front of them this season IMO - and if they improved off of last year you could see .275-.300 with some power from McNeal...

I don't think either of them will be bench guys yet. I think that we are going to do a whole lot of shuffling to find guys who are going to be able to hit the ball. Right now we have a whole lot of guys that are not carrying their weight. As a team without Reks and without Carson we're hitting a mere .202, and that drops to .190 without White's .500 hitting. It is obviously very early in the season, but the struggles of our team at the dish are really hurting.

I think Wilson will have a problem getting into the lineup other than possibly at DH because Pompey is in there for his defense and for his power. If he ups his average then he will continue to play. However, one of those two have to step up because Wilson is hitting .143 through 7 at bats and Pompey is hitting .200 through 15 at bats. So, neither of them have been particularly impressive. McNeill, similarly isn't hitting that well either at .167 through 6 at bats. The sample sizes are small, but when you're losing it feels much worse. So, I think that Mingione will shuffle players at DH and 1B and 3B, especially 3B considering that Becker is hitless through 5 at bats and Heyer has 1 hit through 7 at bats.

I am kind of wondering what Mingione is thinking for this year. As of right now the only true freshman we've used is Thompson. We have 10 freshmen on the team and so far we've only used one. So, it makes me wonder if the freshmen are just behind the more experienced players or if possibly Mingione is trying to redshirt a lot of them and get 4 full years out of them.

By the way, anyone know what is up with Josh Smith? He threw in one, maybe two, games a year ago, and we haven't seen him this year. I know he had a shoulder problem, but I think that was a long time ago. He was a pretty big time talent.

I guess there just isn't separation so guys are getting split reps. If there was separation, you'd see a guy get 30 or so ABs before thoughts of a lineup shuffle.

McNeal struggled against the SEC, but seems like he could add something to the offense.

I guess there just isn't separation so guys are getting split reps. If there was separation, you'd see a guy get 30 or so ABs before thoughts of a lineup shuffle.

McNeal struggled against the SEC, but seems like he could add something to the offense.

I think he will get his chance again this weekend. We are getting nothing from third base, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Marshall at third base and McNeill back at first (if White can't go).

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
I think he will get his chance again this weekend. We are getting nothing from third base, so it wouldn't surprise me to see Marshall at third base and McNeill back at first (if White can't go).
Agree, I think we will see McNeil either at DH or at 1B if white is still out. He does have Xtra base power. Wilson can hit, but is streaky and he does pose a threat to steal if he gets on.
I have always liked T Marshall, he can play all 4 infield positions, and if given a chance, he can swing a pretty good bat.

Agree, I think we will see McNeil either at DH or at 1B if white is still out. He does have Xtra base power. Wilson can hit, but is streaky and he does pose a threat to steal if he gets on.
I have always liked T Marshall, he can play all 4 infield positions, and if given a chance, he can swing a pretty good bat.

It all kind of depends. Right now we have so many guys that just aren't getting it done offensively. None of these guys that are struggling are guys that we know or are almost certain that they will bounce back out of these slumps. We know they will lift the average some, but who gets better and how much is hard to predict. So, all we can really do is keep cycling them until someone gets hot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT