ADVERTISEMENT

Was Jackson's fumble ....

KWilt43atbuzz

All-American
Nov 18, 2012
the biggest break UK has "ever" received in football?

Think about it, UK is usually giving the breaks rather than receiving them.

I mean if Jackson just takes 3 knees U of L would have won with a FG.

When you consider the situation, who the fumble was against and the fact that it propelled UK into one of the five biggest bowl games in its history I don't think any of you can name a bigger break.

I know I catch a lot of hell on this board for my "greatest ever" threads but its just me and I think I'm spot on with this one.

Thoughts?

Reactions: beasleythecard

When you consider the situation, who the fumble was against and the fact that it propelled UK into one of the five biggest bowl games in its history I don't think any of you can name a bigger break.

I know I catch a lot of hell on this board for my "greatest ever" threads but its just me and I think I'm spot on with this one.

Thoughts?
The biggest break we ever got was the interception that Marty Moore had that he eventually fumbled.

Reactions: southindycat

Thoughts?

Actually we had 3 time outs left so he takes three knees and kicks a field goal... we are down 3 getting the ball with about 2 minutes left.
We were due a fortunate bounce. And then we took advantage of it likes good teams do

Reactions: Kys_Best and mrdcat
I can't remember but didn't we get a break in one of the overtime periods against LSU the year we beat their national championship team? If so, I would say that was the biggest but the LJ fumble was huge.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat

Thoughts?
Not sure I believe in "breaks". What I saw was Cat defenders all over him, not letting him escape, forcing him to the ground in a way he was unable to control the ball. We MADE that "break" happen with hustle and determination. JMHO!
Go Big Blue!

You never know what would have happened, we may have scored on the drive when Snell fumbled. Nobody's talking about that much.
Exactly. It was just a football game. Fortune plays a role, like it or not, though as observed, you largely shape your own fortune.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
I'd argue it was one of the biggest break's UK has ever had...If Jackson had just gone down...UL would have been 2nd and 5 and a first down away from kicking a short FG for the win and UK would have exhausted all TOs with little time to score.

But to the above poster...Snell's fumble was just as "fortunate" for UL as UK had the look of milking that clock down and forcing UL into expending all their TO's. So it goes both ways I guess.

I'd argue it was one of the biggest break's UK has ever had...If Jackson had just gone down...UL would have been 2nd and 5 and a first down away from kicking a short FG for the win and UK would have exhausted all TOs with little time to score.

But to the above poster...Snell's fumble was just as "fortunate" for UL as UK had the look of milking that clock down and forcing UL into expending all their TO's. So it goes both ways I guess.
That's my point exactly.

Yes, We gave them a break, but UoL gave us a doozy because they could have milked the clock, kicked a fg, and Now, we must get a TD to win with probably a minute left because who can say Stoops would correctly use time out's? I cannot confidently say he would.

It very well could be. The stars just aligned perfectly in that game. That fumble was huge because time was running down, but the play I look back on was when Stephen Johnson bobbled that snap, regained control of the ball, and then ran for 25 yards. After that play I really started to believe that we were gonna win the game.

Yes, We gave them a break, but UoL gave us a doozy because they could have milked the clock, kicked a fg, and Now, we must get a TD to win with probably a minute left because who can say Stoops would correctly use time out's? I cannot confidently say he would.

Are you one of those that was posting on here before the last game that Stoops definitely wouldn't have used the time outs correctly?

Stevie got loose was huge break

Agree. We were headed for certain loss until a wr inexplicably beats coverage deep with barely any time left in the game.

LJ fumble was a huge break for sure. But there was alot of great execution required afterward to pull off the win.

Reactions: StevieJFTW07
Agree. We were headed for certain loss until a wr inexplicably beats coverage deep with barely any time left in the game.

LJ fumble was a huge break for sure. But there was alot of great execution required afterward to pull off the win.

Right, it isn't like they didn't have a lot of chances to stop us.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Yes,I would say it was,for sure in the top 5 of all time.If the option of" further review" had been around longer UK might have been screwed less over the years than we have been.There are multiple calls that might have changed our football fortunes over the years.

Actually we had 3 time outs left so he takes three knees and kicks a field goal... we are down 3 getting the ball with about 2 minutes left.
I think this is right. I expect Stoops would have called TO as soon as that play ended. Was this better? Yes.

The actual fumble was a result of Jackson trying to make a hero play when nothing was there. If it was a "read" play I have absolutely no idea what he was reading when he pulled the ball.

UofL left 2 unblocked defenders on that side so I am inclined to think it was meant to be a cut back play for the RB to the opposite side but for some reason he pulled it and ran straight into the defense. You never really know but it sure looked like a running lane was opening up for Radcliff to the opposite side.

When he tried to spin away from the unblocked defenders (OLB and ILB) he lost the ball. The fumble itself was the result of his season long "loaf of bread" ball carrying habits. If he just secures the ball, goes down and takes the 3 yard loss, no big deal.

IMO, he just made a bad individual play when the game was on the line and UK took advantage of it. Just the way it goes sometimes. Props to the Cats for taking advantage.

I don't know if it was one of the biggest breaks ever for the Cats but it was the second worst ever for the Cards. (Off side on missed FG at Rutgers in 2006 was the worst. Had they won that one and still stayed undefeated for the rest of the year they were headed for the then BCS playoff game.)

Peace

The actual fumble was a result of Jackson trying to make a hero play when nothing was there. If it was a "read" play I have absolutely no idea what he was reading when he pulled the ball.

UofL left 2 unblocked defenders on that side so I am inclined to think it was meant to be a cut back play for the RB to the opposite side but for some reason he pulled it and ran straight into the defense. You never really know but it sure looked like a running lane was opening up for Radcliff to the opposite side.

When he tried to spin away from the unblocked defenders (OLB and ILB) he lost the ball. The fumble itself was the result of his season long "loaf of bread" ball carrying habits. If he just secures the ball, goes down and takes the 3 yard loss, no big deal.

IMO, he just made a bad individual play when the game was on the line and UK took advantage of it. Just the way it goes sometimes. Props to the Cats for taking advantage.

I don't know if it was one of the biggest breaks ever for the Cats but it was the second worst ever for the Cards. (Off side on missed FG at Rutgers in 2006 was the worst. Had they won that one and still stayed undefeated for the rest of the year they were headed for the then BCS playoff game.)

Peace

How many times have other teams capitalized on UKs misfortunes of fumbles, interceptions, phantom holding calls, personal fouls, etc.?

Seems that when UK wins games, the opponent gives it to them but when UK loses games, the opponent takes it from them.

Glad UK is starting to take wins from teams...

How many times have other teams capitalized on UKs misfortunes of fumbles, interceptions, phantom holding calls, personal fouls, etc.?

Seems that when UK wins games, the opponent gives it to them but when UK loses games, the opponent takes it from them.

Glad UK is starting to take wins from teams...

While I agree with your post I am not sure the post by WC is doing anything but telling what he thought happened, and if his info is correct sounds like Jackson was trying to be the hero he has been all season and a major flaw of his caught up with him. Not Superman after all, regardless of what he was told all year.

UK still had to drive in field goal range in a short time AND our kicker had to make a clutch long field goal. Although I do think WC's Red bias has gotten quite a bit stronger lately, perhaps in reaction to everyone (especially me) piling on their win at all costs program lately..

And if you are glad we are starting to take wins from teams, I am overjoyed------about time the breaks went our way.

Thoughts?
Don't know if it was the biggest but it surely would rival the biggest if it isn't the biggest!!!

Peace

Petrino said his read told him to give it to a RB.

I think the Favre TD pass was second worst break for UL or at least in running for second. Remember, kind of like Snell's inopportune fumble, the other team must capitalize. The pain of the Favre pass and Rutgers gaff were almost immediate.

Thoughts?
No. You must be young.

Ppl might want to go back and rewatch the game.

UL could not have kicked a field goal with the clock running out. hell, there would have been 2 minutes left

Truth. Johnson whooped the DB on two occasions. He would have been free on the second even he the DB not pulled up.
The route was what we used to call "down-out-down" or "out and go". Johnson appeared to run a sideline pattern, then broke it downfield at the same time Woodson hitched a fake sideline throw. The UL corner was fooled and bit on the sideline throw fake. UL's safety didn't get over the top. Woodson actually underthrew the pass, but Johnson was so open that it didn't matter. It was a great route by Johnson.

I think most of us would agree that big breaks that happen in a games usually hasn't gone in UK's favor.
UK found a way to win and UL found a way to lose.
When you win, it seems like breaks go in your favor. Good teams make their own breaks.

IMO, he just made a bad individual play when the game was on the line and UK took advantage of it.
So he shouldn't win the Heisman. Thanks.

Thoughts?

Yes this one dispels the myth that the football gods are all conspiring against Kentucky.

Honestly though when they got the ball into the red zone with 1:45 left on the clock I thought we were toast.

"Here we go again" may have taken on a new meaning :)

Ppl might want to go back and rewatch the game.

UL could not have kicked a field goal with the clock running out. hell, there would have been 2 minutes left

Lamar Jackson fumbled on 1st and goal with 1:45 left.

If he had not UK should have called timeout before 2nd and before 3rd and before 4th leaving about 1:30 with zero timeouts and down at least 3 on the road.

Also, U of L probably would have scored a TD anyway making UK have 1:30 to go length of the field just to tie.

Could they have got in FG range to tie? Sure.
The question is would they have, would they have made it under much greater pressure down 3 than tied?
Would UK have won the OT?

As BBBlazer posted the 1993 Peach Bowl play in which Clemson threw a pick with less than 1 minute to go inside UKs 15 with Cats leading by 6 only to see Moore fumble it away was a bigger break but since UK lost the gm I'm not sure it qualifies to Trump Jackson's fumble.

Lamar Jackson fumbled on 1st and goal with 1:45 left.

If he had not UK should have called timeout before 2nd and before 3rd and before 4th leaving about 1:30 with zero timeouts and down at least 3 on the road.

Also, U of L probably would have scored a TD anyway making UK have 1:30 to go length of the field just to tie.

Could they have got in FG range to tie? Sure.
The question is would they have, would they have made it under much greater pressure down 3 than tied?
Would UK have won the OT?

As BBBlazer posted the 1993 Peach Bowl play in which Clemson threw a pick with less than 1 minute to go inside UKs 15 with Cats leading by 6 only to see Moore fumble it away was a bigger break but since UK lost the gm I'm not sure it qualifies to Trump Jackson's fumble.

Okay. A minute thirty. Still couldn't have kicked a game ending field goal, which numerous people have said.

The biggest break we ever got was the interception that Marty Moore had that he eventually fumbled.

BBBLazing, how is that a break? If Marty had NOT fumbled, it would have been a break. I was at that game. If Marty had just went down, we would have won, but he tried to return it for a score, and we lost the game.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

You must name one bigger to prove your point.
I can name a lot of big breaks Kentucky has gotten, but you are too young to remember them. Suspension of a group of key players by Bobby Bowden prior to Kentucky's Music City Bowl victory over Florida State in 2007 in Bowden's 1st ever December bowl loss. Series of questionable holding penalties called against Alabama, directly leading to 40-34 Kentucky victory over Crimson Tide on October 5, 1997. In Kentucky's 10-7 win over Tennessee in 2011, the key play was Matt Roark's 26 yard run on 3rd and 12 in Kentucky's only TD drive of the day. Roark fumbled the football and Tennessee linebacker Ben Martin recovered. But the officials ruled Roark was on the ground before he fumbled. Tennessee challenged the call and replays showed Roark fumbled the football. But Kentucky retained possession when the officials decided their original ruling on the field should stand due to lack of clear evidence. Without that mistake, Kentucky would not have scored the TD and Tennessee probably would have won. I could name more, but my IPad is running out of power.

1. You must name one bigger to prove your point.

I'm old enough to know its simple to discredit someone but sometimes its much tougher to establish the reason why.

I can name a lot of big breaks Kentucky has gotten, but you are too young to remember them. Suspension of a group of key players by Bobby Bowden prior to Kentucky's Music City Bowl victory over Florida State in 2007 in Bowden's 1st ever December bowl loss. Series of questionable holding penalties called against Alabama, directly leading to 40-34 Kentucky victory over Crimson Tide on October 5, 1997. In Kentucky's 10-7 win over Tennessee in 2011, the key play was Matt Roark's 26 yard run on 3rd and 12 in Kentucky's only TD drive of the day. Roark fumbled the football and Tennessee linebacker Ben Martin recovered. But the officials ruled Roark was on the ground before he fumbled. Tennessee challenged the call and replays showed Roark fumbled the football. But Kentucky retained possession when the officials decided their original ruling on the field should stand due to lack of clear evidence. Without that mistake, Kentucky would not have scored the TD and Tennessee probably would have won. I could name more, but my IPad is running out of power.
  2. None of those are bigger than "the fumble"....thanks for playing though.
  3. Let's see what others think..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT