ADVERTISEMENT

Wall and Cal talk Jodie Meeks on 2010 team, Liggins trash talk, and how some guys on this 2024 team need to return.

IMO that's not what he was hired to do. To prep guys for the NBA. It's a university, meaning you're there to earn an education, and if you also play basketball then you're there to play basketball while earning an education. Most UK fans, and EVERYONE I know, couldn't care less what Cal does the for the NBA or how well he prepared them for the league. He's here to win titles, and if that's not his goal then he needs to move along.

Kind of square thinking.

Regardless of your opinion on Calipari, the reality is that a post-collegiate pro career is the number one goal of most of our players, as well as the goal of most of high-major D1 basketball players. Tangentially, these players have the most amount of talent. Calipari embracing the NBA satisfies player goals & accelerates recruiting by creating an environment that enables post-collegiate success.

Reverting to a mindset that players should be self-less and not care about their own goals or financial well-being would be absolutely disastrous and isn't based in objective reality.

The rebuttal to this, of course, is that even with NBA talent we have not been successful in the post-season in recent years. That's true. And a big reason for that is roster composition and recruiting.

The solution to that problem isn't to bury our heads in the sand. Fostering an environment that accelerates player ambitions is one of the many facets this program should embrace.

Reactions: Titpwhami2014
An argument can be made that the chemistry prof or the engineering school professor’s job is to prepare their students for their next step in life. Maybe Cal’s view is not that so far off as some think.
How many chemistry or engineering "profs" get fired when a student flunks out of the program?

Love to hear Cal talking about NIL as a recruiting tool. Cal would get back in my and many others good graces if this team doesn’t scatter to the transfer portal as soon as the last game ends. I think Edwards and Zonny have shown their flashes and will depart, obviously Dillingham is outta here. Reed is a unique situation, but if he’s really gonna be Top 10, I can’t see how he doesn’t go. But think about returning Thiero, Sheppard, Wagner, Bradshaw, Onyenso, and Burks and what that would look like. I think at that point you find a great shooter out of the portal at SG to run with 2 PGs so we’ll have another 3 guard lineup

PG- Sheppard/Fland
SG- Wagner/Perry
SF- Transfer/Richmond/Burks
PF- Thiero/Quaintance
C- Bradshaw/Onyenso/Cyril
WTF?? Dude you are trying way too hard.

Cal is frustrating and says a lot of dumb stuff in the media but this was a good episode to listen to .

So far Boogie and Cal were great episodes . Hopefully we see more former/current/future Cats

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I have 3 daughters. Two played tennis in high school and one has been on the HS golf team since 7th grade and would have been earlier if the KHSAA rules would have allowed it. There are some sports that I will watch women play like golf, volleyball or tennis but basketball it just seems the lack of athleticism and skill overall, compared to watching men, is too great to be entertaining to me.

Now if my kids played basketball I may feel differently but I just can't force myself to sit through an entire game. I have tried watching the UK women and about halfway through one quarter of watching them missing layup after layup I have to turn it off. Regardless of what anyone else may think it isn't because I am sexist, it just isn't entertaining to me and I only watch any sports to be entertained. That is why I don't watch baseball on TV because it is not entertaining to me and I know I am in the minority with that too probably.
You must want to throw a brick through your TV watching Wagner attempt a layup.

WTF?? Dude you are trying way too hard.
“Big Z” is just really boring so I like to throw other nicknames out there from time to time. Hilarious to see you overthinking it. Don’t be a Simple Jack.

Interesting quote from Cal given the current environment about people thinking he dislikes Reed:

"I'm holding you to a higher standard John Wall. If you're my best player I'm harder on you than everybody else."

“Big Z” is just really boring so I like to throw other nicknames out there from time to time. Hilarious to see you overthinking it. Don’t be a Simple Jack.
Ok..."Zonny".. Who's overthinking here?

Wait, so anyone who doesn’t like women’s basketball is a weak, insecure man baby? Is that right? I’m the weakest, most insecure man baby in the room then, because I really, really hate women’s basketball (watching it that is). Mind you, I don’t spend time watching it just to dump on it. I don’t watch it. As well, I don’t hate the women who play it, they are good. Just hate watching it. Like, a lot.
Same. The players aren’t as good. Everything below the rim. Officiating somehow more brutal. Less upsets in March. Their skill level is amazing but I do not enjoy watching it.

I would tune into a Darnell Dodson podcast appearance.
This is an underrated suggestion . It definitely would be nice to hear from a player that didn’t make it to the league just to see how life went after college .

I’d also like to hear Archie Goodwin or Ryan Harrow. I do know Harrow was on some podcast and he doesn’t have a relationship with Cal at all.

Love love love the comments about guys like Booker and Murray and SGA having "otherworldly confidence" levels. That if given a lie detector test where you asked each of them if they are the best player in the world, they'd all answer YES and pass the test.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT