ADVERTISEMENT

Wagner’s outside shooting

STL_Cat

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2011
Love DJ Wagner’s game, he could end up being the best player out of all these dudes. And that’s saying a lot.

That being said, I hope he can find a more consistent stroke from outside as we move into the season. It’s not hard to see why he’s inconsistent from deep. He just doesn’t have an exactly repeatable stroke. Sometimes he fades left, sometimes he fades right, sometimes he fades into the shot and sometimes he fades away from it. When he goes straight up with a clean stroke he shoots it well. And you can see it when he heats up.

I was hoping we could have at least a 35% 3 point shooter in Wagner. Right now he looks more like a 32% shooter from deep to me. Heck of a player, though.

He needs a complete overhaul of his shooting form, he isn’t getting 32 percent which is bad, with his current form. Dillingham shot doesn’t need nearly the work Wagners does but he still could tweak some aspects to it. Right now Wagner needs to think facilitate first instead of score first

Last edited:
What is amazing about someone like DJ is that he has been in the spotlight for as long as he has played basketball and he, his dad and grand dad know the current game REQUIRES a player to be able to shoot the 3 at a 33% clip AT LEAST. And as a PG, he also MUST be able to hit the mid-range jumper also.

WHY hasn't he worked for the last 2 years on this aspect of his game????? MOST NBA Guards can get to the rim and finish, but to STAY, you have to be able to score from ALL 3 levels of the floor. Heck, tonight he missed a few layups also.

Hopefully he is just going through some growing pains transitioning to the next level. He is too good and we REALLY need him to reach the level we ALL want!!

I agree to some extent. I was optimistic about the last 2 seasons, but I am also realistic. This team is MUCH better than the last 2 teams, and deeper.
You are right there is much more talent on this Club than we have had since maybe 2017. and we havent even seen em all play yet. The shooting deal drives me crazy, every year Cal says we have some great shootets and every year( at least lately) we have maybe 1 guy who is reliable to make an outside shot, I hope this year isnt like that.

You are right there is much more talent on this Club than we have had since maybe 2017. and we havent even seen em all play yet. The shooting deal drives me crazy, every year Cal says we have some great shootets and every year( at least lately) we have maybe 1 guy who is reliable to make an outside shot, I hope this year isnt like that.
I truly believe this year is different. I am a retired teacher and basketball coach, so I know a little about what I see (very little) but this team can team play. The defense and effort just seem different. This team has the potential to go places.

I truly believe this year is different. I am a retired teacher and basketball coach, so I know a little about what I see (very little) but this team can team play. The defense and effort just seem different. This team has the potential to go places.
My son is a teacher and BB coach in Tn. Be glad you've retired, some of the stories he tells me about dealing with parents of players are insane.

My son is a teacher and BB coach in Tn. Be glad you've retired, some of the stories he tells me about dealing with parents of players are insane.
Oh I believe it. The last 15 years of my "career" I was more than happy to be an assistant. I feel bad for these young guys. Its tough enough to run a program but parents these days are ridiculous. I witnessed a dad make threats and sit on our head coaches car and refuse to let the head coach leave the parking lot. The sad part is his son was the most uncoachable I have ever coached. Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

What is amazing about someone like DJ is that he has been in the spotlight for as long as he has played basketball and he, his dad and grand dad know the current game REQUIRES a player to be able to shoot the 3 at a 33% clip AT LEAST. And as a PG, he also MUST be able to hit the mid-range jumper also.

WHY hasn't he worked for the last 2 years on this aspect of his game????? MOST NBA Guards can get to the rim and finish, but to STAY, you have to be able to score from ALL 3 levels of the floor. Heck, tonight he missed a few layups also.

Hopefully he is just going through some growing pains transitioning to the next level. He is too good and we REALLY need him to reach the level we ALL want!!
You realize it's not that simple as "just work on it and improve" ? Like everyone would do that and always improve. He's great at other aspects and he'll continue to work and hopefully improve the shooting but to say he basically hasn't worked on it is really dumb.

Reactions: awf
Im not ready to throw in tower on him yet. I remember Brandon Knight hag a pretty rough start to his career here as did Teague and they turned out fine

You realize it's not that simple as "just work on it and improve" ? Like everyone would do that and always improve. He's great at other aspects and he'll continue to work and hopefully improve the shooting but to say he basically hasn't worked on it is really dumb.
I CLEARLY stated that a player of his caliber should be able to shoot at a 33% clip from 3. That is NOT too much to ask for a top 5 player in his class and future NBA Lottery pick. The FORM on his jumper tells me he hasn't concentrated ENOUGH on it.

Putting up as many shots as possible, with a correct form and motion, is the ONLY way to "work on it and improve"!!! Is he doing that now, I would say MOST CERTAINLY. But, like so many other kids that could get to the rim and finish in HS and AAU ball, shots outside of the paint against BETTER defenders will now take time to adjust to.

What's "dumb" is to not admit that there is a problem with his jumper. Now, I hope he CAN and WILL get it fixed and improve from this point forward. Listening to Coach Cal on the postgame, I am encouraged that he will do just that because he WILL work, follow instruction and is a great kid!!

Booker didn't shoot well early. AD didn't make a 3 until January of his freshman year. Wagner is a bright lights guy. He will be a different player against Kansas. He's the oppositive of the shrink in the moment types we have the last few seasons.

Oh I believe it. The last 15 years of my "career" I was more than happy to be an assistant. I feel bad for these young guys. Its tough enough to run a program but parents these days are ridiculous. I witnessed a dad make threats and sit on our head coaches car and refuse to let the head coach leave the parking lot. The sad part is his son was the most uncoachable I have ever coached. Apple didn't fall far from the tree.
I’d kick his son and dad out of the program.

• Love
Reactions: Cowtown Cat
He needs a complete overhaul of his shooting form, he isn’t getting 32 percent which is bad, with his current form. Dillingham shot doesn’t need nearly the work Wagners does but he still could tweak some aspects to it. Right now Wagner needs to think facilitate first instead of score first
I agree. Sometimes, it looks like he has made up his mind to shoot come hell or high water and that what he does.

Shame on Dad & Grandpa - that stroke should have been fixed early on - I don’t see him as a first rounder unfortunately - jumper is broke - struggling with hiss floater right now - not super athletic - the pony tail PG from TC had his way at times with quickness
That being said I love his attitude - he plays damn hard - no Bull shit or trash talkin just gets after it - seems like a great kid

Y’all are overreacting. He’ll be fine. He hit some fantastic end of the shot clock ones in Canada. I don’t know about the jumper being bad either. He looks good to me. He was starting his shot low, which is what they’ve probably been working on since he can’t do that in college.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I cringe every time Wag jacks one up.

How can you be a top 2 or 3 recruit and not have a jumper?

Its sooooo Kentucky.

Unreal

I cringe every time Wag jacks one up.

How can you be a top 2 or 3 recruit and not have a jumper?

Its sooooo Kentucky.

Unreal
He is a top 3 recruit because his ability to attack the basket and take care of the basketball. He is forcing his jump shots. Once he gets comfortable in the offense, his jumper will improve leaps and bounds.

I CLEARLY stated that a player of his caliber should be able to shoot at a 33% clip from 3. That is NOT too much to ask for a top 5 player in his class and future NBA Lottery pick. The FORM on his jumper tells me he hasn't concentrated ENOUGH on it.

Putting up as many shots as possible, with a correct form and motion, is the ONLY way to "work on it and improve"!!! Is he doing that now, I would say MOST CERTAINLY. But, like so many other kids that could get to the rim and finish in HS and AAU ball, shots outside of the paint against BETTER defenders will now take time to adjust to.

What's "dumb" is to not admit that there is a problem with his jumper. Now, I hope he CAN and WILL get it fixed and improve from this point forward. Listening to Coach Cal on the postgame, I am encouraged that he will do just that because he WILL work, follow instruction and is a great kid!!
There are plenty of players that have been top 5 and have deficiencies in their game, that’s nothing new. Even in the NBA players aren’t always going to be great 3pt shooters. It’s insane to say he simply isn’t/didn’t work on that aspect because he isn’t shorting 33% 2 games into the season.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
There are plenty of players that have been top 5 and have deficiencies in their game, that’s nothing new. Even in the NBA players aren’t always going to be great 3pt shooters. It’s insane to say he simply isn’t/didn’t work on that aspect because he isn’t shorting 33% 2 games into the season.
Personally what I’m saying is, his mechanics look like a sub 33% 3 point shooter to me. It’s not the % that got my attention.

I feel like John Wall has an excuse for his shooting: back in 2009 the league was still favoring speedy guards who could take it to the rack.

But it's 2023, how, as a guard, are you not working on your shot? Makes you wonder if DJ, like dozens of other players before him. said "Hey, I can get my shot whenever I want, I'll be fine". And the NBA will quickly correct that mindset..

Y’all are overreacting. He’ll be fine. He hit some fantastic end of the shot clock ones in Canada. I don’t know about the jumper being bad either. He looks good to me. He was starting his shot low, which is what they’ve probably been working on since he can’t do that in college.
I’m saying he’s inconsistent due to inconsistent mechanics. No doubt, when he gets hot he can really shoot it. But he needs that rhythm because he doesn’t always seem to have an exactly repeatable stroke.

Love DJ Wagner’s game, he could end up being the best player out of all these dudes. And that’s saying a lot.

That being said, I hope he can find a more consistent stroke from outside as we move into the season. It’s not hard to see why he’s inconsistent from deep. He just doesn’t have an exactly repeatable stroke. Sometimes he fades left, sometimes he fades right, sometimes he fades into the shot and sometimes he fades away from it. When he goes straight up with a clean stroke he shoots it well. And you can see it when he heats up.

I was hoping we could have at least a 35% 3 point shooter in Wagner. Right now he looks more like a 32% shooter from deep to me. Heck of a player, though.
He looks more like a 27% shooter to me.

I feel like John Wall has an excuse for his shooting: back in 2009 the league was still favoring speedy guards who could take it to the rack.

But it's 2023, how, as a guard, are you not working on your shot? Makes you wonder if DJ, like dozens of other players before him. said "Hey, I can get my shot whenever I want, I'll be fine". And the NBA will quickly correct that mindset..
He probably works on it but hitting them when the game starts and the pressure is on is another thing . He seems to he a hard worker so I do think he’s worked on it . He’s not overly athletic so it’s not like he’s one of those kids that has gotten by because he’s way more athletic than his peers in HS

The truth is NONE of our freshmen have proved they can consistantly knock down a 3 point shot. If we really want to get to a FF that HAS to change
Hey haven't you heard that when the big men return in March we're going deep in the tournament? Actually it takes both an inside and outside game or this team isn't getting past the first or second round. They're another athletic group that can't shoot.

Reactions: dl51344
Hot Take….DJ’s athleticism is only average and I have a hard time seeing him being a 1st round pick. Dillingham has multiple flashes a game where he cranks up a gear and moves faster than everyone else on the court. That’s a lottery pick level athlete. It won’t happen but I would start Reed and Dillingham and bring DJ off the bench as the 6th man because Dillingham’s ceiling by the end of season appears to be wayyyyyyyyyy higher.

Hot Take….DJ’s athleticism is only average and I have a hard time seeing him being a 1st round pick. Dillingham has multiple flashes a game where he cranks up a gear and moves faster than everyone else on the court. That’s a lottery pick level athlete. It won’t happen but I would start Reed and Dillingham and bring DJ off the bench as the 6th man because Dillingham’s ceiling by the end of season appears to be wayyyyyyyyyy higher.

The problem is that DJ is the lock of all locks for a starting position.

I still have a lot of faith that DJ will be fine, and even if he has a rocky start, I also believe he will figure it out.

Personally what I’m saying is, his mechanics look like a sub 33% 3 point shooter to me. It’s not the % that got my attention.
I agree with that but I don’t think it’s because he isn’t or hasn’t worked on it. He’s also capable of hitting 3-4 in a row or going 0-5, that normally seemed to be the trend when I watched him in HS.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT