ADVERTISEMENT

Would this work for opening up an additional scholarship for next season ?

Uncle Adolph

Junior
Aug 9, 2019
Did I see where he was valedictorion of his class ? Could he be given an academic full ride and open up another scholly for a BB player ? Talking about Trent Noah.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
Did I see where he was valedictorion of his class ? Could he be given an academic full ride and open up another scholly for a BB player ? Talking about Trent Noah.
The bigger question is do they even need scholarships now that they get Nil? Out of scholarships? No problem, just bump the NIL some more to pay for it.

Where does it say that in the rules?
I looked this up about five year ago, maybe pre-covid. At that time, I found it almost exactly as bigbluedon posted.

Tried looking for again but can't even find the NCAA rules on-line now.

However, if you could do this don't you think a lot of schools would already be doing it?

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I looked this up about five year ago, maybe pre-covid. At that time, I found it almost exactly as bigbluedon posted.

Tried looking for again but can't even find the NCAA rules on-line now.

However, if you could do this don't you think a lot of schools would already be doing it?
A lot of schools were doing it, hence why they put the rule in years ago. Big time football programs would throw guys on academic scholarship as a way to get more scholarship players, so the NCAA put the rule in place.

Reactions: ukfan1622
Found this:

The NCAA has a few specific rules about how Division I and Division II student-athletes should handle non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

Division I​

• Be in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class
  • Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
  • Score 1,200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

Division II​

• Be in the top 20 percent of high school graduating class
  • Achieve a 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.00
  • Have an ACT Sum score of 100 or SAT of 1,140
The student must also show that being an athlete was not a requirement during the application process for the non-athletic scholarship. If colleges could give athletes academic or merit-based scholarships freely, then there would be no limit on the amount of money they could offer athletes to compete at their school.

By imposing these rules, the NCAA is ensuring that athletes who receive academic scholarships are getting them based on their academics, not their athletics.

………………………

Then I found this, which allows some leeway in the rules around the above:

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-di-scholarship-rule-change-to-benefit-athletes/

Trying to get around team scholarship limits by stashing guys on academic or even other sports entirely is a game as old as college sports itself. Yeah, no matter what bright idea you have - it's been thought of & prevented.

Why do these 1000000 dollar NIL players need any free ride?free ride. Let them play without anything and pay their own way. NIL has nothing to do with college or making grades or majors.

I’m looking for it too, but the rule does exist. Basically, if the student goes to the university with the intention of playing sports, the scholarship they receive (whether it’s athletic or academic) counts against the scholarship limit.
I’m just wondering if it still exists. Seems a lot has changed recently.

Ummm, no offense to either kid or the Basketball team but I think those "other" scholarships should be reserved for students who won't be getting a scholarship + being paid to play basketball.

UK is still a school with a lot of deserving students.

Reactions: FtWorthCat
Only 1 ball, only 5 can play at a time, only 40 min a game

Really don't need a roster of 14 or 15 ballplayers
True.
Probably don't need 13.
Just take some KY kids who can actually play as walk-ons.
Ravi, Polson types.

We have two open scholarships right now. Not enough scholarships is not the issue right now.

You know, its kinda the same with NIL. people afraid big schools will horde too many of the top players. Well, the top guys want to make it to the league. To do that you gotta play. So 7 deep is about all a team could be with elite talent. No Top 20 kid is going to go ride the bench, even for a $1M a year. Because it hurts their chances at a NBA Contract. Hence, KY will always have enough money to remain competitive.

Its the Vandy's, the Northwestern's, a Creighton, Boise St ...... many others, that are concerned about being priced out at some point.

The breakaway from the NCAA seems necessary without major changes in structure, leadership, and philosophy from the monopoly that lead down this road to begin with.

Let's remember, when we say the NCAA brought this on themselves we really are saying the schools.

This is a self-inflicted wound.

No, a scholarship is a scholarship.
Not true. My nephew (as of now) is a preferred walk-on for Miami OH football but they gave him an academic scholarship that cover the bulk of his out of state tuition. That doesn’t count against their scholarship limit. He may earn an athletic scholarship this fall though if he becomes their starting kicker.

Found this:

The NCAA has a few specific rules about how Division I and Division II student-athletes should handle non-athletic financial aid. To accept an academic scholarship as an incoming freshman, student-athletes need to meet the following criteria:

Division I​

• Be in the top 10 percent of their high school graduating class
  • Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
  • Score 1,200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

Division II​

• Be in the top 20 percent of high school graduating class
  • Achieve a 3.5 cumulative GPA out of 4.00
  • Have an ACT Sum score of 100 or SAT of 1,140
The student must also show that being an athlete was not a requirement during the application process for the non-athletic scholarship. If colleges could give athletes academic or merit-based scholarships freely, then there would be no limit on the amount of money they could offer athletes to compete at their school.

By imposing these rules, the NCAA is ensuring that athletes who receive academic scholarships are getting them based on their academics, not their athletics.

………………………

Then I found this, which allows some leeway in the rules around the above:

https://informedathlete.com/ncaa-di-scholarship-rule-change-to-benefit-athletes/
Would guess my Nephew met that criteria. He’s strong academically. He’s doing a double major in finance and accounting. Just know he’s considered a preferred walk-on and doesn’t count against the scholarship limits.

Not true. My nephew (as of now) is a preferred walk-on for Miami OH football but they gave him an academic scholarship that cover the bulk of his out of state tuition. That doesn’t count against their scholarship limit. He may earn an athletic scholarship this fall though if he becomes their starting kicker.
I would need some clarification because any scholarship counts toward the scholarship cap. If it didn't, schools would take advantage of the loophole. The NCAA made the rule to end that abuse.

Perhaps he is counted as a partial scholarship and those rules are different, I'm not sure.

Edit: I see the NCAA has adjusted these rules starting this fall. A couple more years and there won't be any rules at all.

I would need some clarification because any scholarship counts toward the scholarship cap. If it didn't, schools would take advantage of the loophole. The NCAA made the rule to end that abuse.

Perhaps he is counted as a partial scholarship and those rules are different, I'm not sure.

Edit: I see the NCAA has adjusted these rules starting this fall. A couple more years and there won't be any rules at all.
It could be that since his academic scholarship didn’t cover all expenses completely, that it didn’t count. His scholarship was like 3-4K short of the $38K out of state tuition. And I think he still had to pay for room and board. Is there a limit to the number of “preferred” walk-ons too? If so then it could also depend on how he’s classified.

If we really needed the extra spot, you could always have Noah or Perry or both get the tuition by NIL them for it and some extra for accepting to do it this way. In state kids their tuition would be cheaper. but thats only if there are more than 2 players we want and could get

Just think.
2 to 3 weeks ago, many were distraught because we had only 2 or 3 commits.
Now, we’re trying to find ways to gain another ride.
We do get really anxious, don’t we?

At this stage in the game if we want to add more than two players we probably are more hard pressed to find playing time for them than worried about a slot.

We could even be having a tough time filling the ones we have because there is going to be competition for serious minutes as is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT