ADVERTISEMENT

Vogel new assistant ???

Agree Beal sucks. But I stand by my comment that KD is washed, and I’ll add that he’s a whiney bitch too.

Suns should have listened to Barkley. I mean he’s only the greatest player in the history of their franchise.

He definitely isn’t prime Kd but if averaging 27,6,5 is washed most people will that that at the age that he is right now .

Had he not taken Sun's job mid season there's a good chsnce he is UK head coach right now. While I would have put Vogel waaaaaaay over Pope in early April right now I am thinking we got lucky seeing Pipes drive an work ethic

Had he not taken Sun's job mid season there's a good chsnce he is UK head coach right now. While I would have put Vogel waaaaaaay over Pope in early April right now I am thinking we got lucky seeing Pipes drive an work ethic
I just never understood people's desire for Vogel. Time and time again, it's been proven that hiring someone without college coaching experience because they graduated from the school has failed. He's been in the NBA for 27 years. It would not have worked.

I just never understood people's desire for Vogel. Time and time again, it's been proven that hiring someone without college coaching experience because they graduated from the school has failed. He's been in the NBA for 27 years. It would not have worked.
Some are very prone to latch on to familiarity/name recognition.

Reactions: Zissou87
That roster sucks, they are paying 3 dudes who don’t fit together max money. That payroll alone is 190 million over the tax threshold. It’s unsustainable. I’d trade Beal and get 2-3 picks or decent players, especially defenders. They can’t sign anyone except minimum level veterans right now. No impact players.
That roster looked like Cal assembled it.

Please don’t crush me for the following as these are just thoughts, no inside info or sources.

I believe Vogel and Pope were at UK during the same time period. Vogel played on the JV team with Nazr. Both have been greatly influenced by Rick Pitino. We have been hearing from Coach Pope in regards to Pitino and his work ethic. Ditto for Vogel.

Have no idea if Vogel would be interested in coming to UK or even if Pope is interested, but it has been a homecoming nearly 30 years in the making for Coach and would be the same for Frank. His reputation is as a solid teacher of fundamentals. I know he has never coached in college but would have some credibility with young men that Coach may be recruiting. Very much a long shot but interesting history.

People here make WAY too much of this. He transferred into UK only because Pitino gave him the chance to serve as a UK manager for a couple seasons …which he thought might open the door to future coaching opportunities.

It ain’t like he has any deep ties to UK. He’s not from the state, he was only here for a short time, and as far as I know, has never been back.

It’s laughably naive to think that’s enough to get a guy in his position to take a college assistant job (especially since he had ZERO college coaching experience at any level).
Most of our players are only here for a short time, and most are not from Kentucky. I bet a lot of UK Alums are not from Kentucky. I know of 1 alums that was only at UK for 3 years and was from the west coast. and was probably friends with Vogel since their times overlapped. and that person was roommates with a guy from Ga that was only at UK for 4 years. do we question their love for UK? Maybe Vogel is ready for a break from the NBA meat grinder and looking to relax a bit.

Do I think that Vogel would come here as an assistant? No, but like I posted. How does any of us know what anyone else wants
I don't think he would come here either. But I remember when it was first mentioned that Cal would go to Arky. 90% of this board laughed their asses off at the proposition. People sure are sure of themselves. You'd think after that people would learn that strange shit happens all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT