ADVERTISEMENT

Vitale's Suggestion for 6 Fouls

Just get rid of the charge call. Falling down is not a basketball skill. Either play defense or get out of the way. I would also accept as a compromise changing the charge to a simple turnover (not a foul). Still the charge is dangerous and has no place in the game of basketball.

agreed, get rid of that stupid blarge call
6 fouls ok - it's how the NBA does it

Just get rid of the charge call. Falling down is not a basketball skill. Either play defense or get out of the way. I would also accept as a compromise changing the charge to a simple turnover (not a foul). Still the charge is dangerous and has no place in the game of basketball.
Plus if they got rid of the charge call I GUARANTEE you Coach k would retire. He can't coach without it.

Last edited:
Vitale's argument is stupid. He wants the college game to have 6 like the nba has. What the old timer doesn't realize is they have the same ratio of fouls per minutes played. One foul for every 8 minutes. It's the same, just shorter games. Most college players don't foul out most games.

It's a non-issue.

I do not agree. Playing solid defense without fouling is part of being a good individual player and the mark of a good defensive team. It would only slow down the game. Again, being good at defense is part of being a good all around player. Same with my gripe of the American League and the Designated Hitter. It's garbage... you're either a ball player or you're not.

Was taking with a friend of mine today who is very smart on basketball and he like the ideal of 6 fouls. His argument was that the kids are much bigger today & need the 6 fouls. I guess I am old school and I like the game the way it is. Stay with 5 fouls.

Reactions: awf
Leave it at 5 fouls...NBA game is 48 minutes...college game is 40 minutes. NBA game has shorter shot clock as well that generates more possessions as well.

I do like the idea of a charge not being a foul but a TO instead.

I wish they would go more nba style with the college game, stays too clog up and I hate the slow big 10 style ball..

I think the games evolved to the point that 6 fouls seems like a good idea. How many games have you seen a good player get 2 early fouls and then sit/ be limited the whole game. I wouldn't mind adding more time on that clock also

Somewhat contradicts the recent "push" refs are trying to make with lessening the physical play. Seems 6 fouls would go against that new grain.

However, that's how the pros do it, so why not.

6 fouls would ruin games imo. Would make defenses even more aggressive and make a parade to the charity stripe. Would bring on more "hack a Shaq" game plans. If a star player can't defend without fouling he deserves to be on the bench. The charge play needs to stay also, just to keep players honest. If no foul is called then what is to stop players from putting their head down and bulling to the rack. If the defender can be called for blocking (1 of his 5 fouls), the offensive player needs the same consequences for charging. Just making it a turnover is silly as they already lose possession now plus the a foul.

no 1 rule will save college basketball. someone on "around the horn" made an interesting point....the only level of basketball where going for 2-15 from three wins you a game is college basketball. in reference to the ku/duke game. meaning that college basketball is totally F'd up.

6 fouls is a start.
no zone
28 second shot clock
wider lanes
8 second half court violation
push back the 3 point line
widen the charge circle.

basically use all the NBA rules. have NBA refs train college refs.

I don't listen to anything Vitale says his voice annoys me, but Bam would benefit from one more foul, they call a foul on him every time he turns around, he'll figure it out, Go Big Blue.

Just cut out the insane foul calls they seem to want to make this year. Just what college basketball needs, more foul calls and less offense.

no 1 rule will save college basketball. someone on "around the horn" made an interesting point....the only level of basketball where going for 2-15 from three wins you a game is college basketball. in reference to the ku/duke game. meaning that college basketball is totally F'd up.

6 fouls is a start.
no zone
28 second shot clock
wider lanes
8 second half court violation
push back the 3 point line
widen the charge circle.

basically use all the NBA rules. have NBA refs train college refs.

Contrary to what ESPN stuffs down our throats 24/7/365, the NBA is terrible to watch. Almost unbearable even. You want to turn college ball into what the NBA is right now? No thanks.

Eliminating charges would result in football players just bullying their way to the rim, instead of using quickness or skill. The only problem with charges is Duke teaching the flops and refs falling for it. But I could go for changing a charge to a TO.

I disagree with going to 6 fouls, it would just result in teams playing rougher. The problem is with coaches benching a player the 1st half with 2 fouls. Coaches should try to maximize the minutes of their best players. I can see benching them for a few minutes after a foul to calm them down, to explain they need to be more careful. Often they finish the game without fouling out but only playing 20 minutes. I'd rather have the guy play 25 minutes and foul out.

10000000% correct. Duke can't defend so they fall down and want a reward for it. I would gladly trade getting rid of the charge call and get 6 fouls. Duke would be in trouble though.

Eliminating charges would result in football players just bullying their way to the rim, instead of using quickness or skill. The only problem with charges is Duke teaching the flops and refs falling for it. But I could go for changing a charge to a TO.

I disagree with going to 6 fouls, it would just result in teams playing rougher. The problem is with coaches benching a player the 1st half with 2 fouls. Coaches should try to maximize the minutes of their best players. I can see benching them for a few minutes after a foul to calm them down, to explain they need to be more careful. Often they finish the game without fouling out but only playing 20 minutes. I'd rather have the guy play 25 minutes and foul out.
No it wouldn't. Defenders would just have to play defense. They only flop now when the offensive player has them beat.

I think once back in 1997 an offensive player tried to bully his way to the basket. The other 17,658 charges have been because the defender flopped to sell the call.

Worst idea ever, if we think games have slowed down even more do to "tightening" up calls, just image if every player had one more!!! Like the government trying to fix a bad law with a worse law....

Reactions: ukwazoo
after reading the posts - I have to change part of my stance. Keep it with five fouls, but still get rid of that bloody block/charge call.

Contrary to what ESPN stuffs down our throats 24/7/365, the NBA is terrible to watch. Almost unbearable even. You want to turn college ball into what the NBA is right now? No thanks.
Yeah. If you hate watching the best, most skilled players in the world make plays from all over the court, it's totally awful. If you like watching guys pass the ball around 30 feet from the basket for 25 seconds before someone chucks up a 20 footer that barely draws iron, college basketball rocks the house.

That said, 6 fouls is a terrible idea. It would only add more muck to a game that's already pretty mucked up. I might, MIGHT get on board with the idea of eliminating the foul out. You could go to a system where any foul over 5 is an automatic technical.

Beyond that, this idea that foul calls are out of control in comparison to some unnamed time in the past is wrong. Fouls called were at an all-time historical low 4 seasons ago, and though they've gone up since, they're still not near historical highs.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Rooster
How about stop giving fouls to individuals. Count team fouls, but don't foul anyone out.

If the same offensive lineman moves 6 times he isn't kicked out of the game. The team just backs up 30 yards.

The refs would lose one of their biggest tools for influencing the game if you made it difficult for them to eliminate a player.

To go along with this, I like the idea of playing quarters, so the fouls reset more often.

As a counterbalance to the potential for more fouling, I wouldn't be opposed to going back to 3 shots to make 2, especially in the bonus.

Other ideas would be 1 shot and the ball back after a certain number of fouls, or giving the team that was fouled the option of taking the ball out with a reset clock instead of free throws. Would cut down on the hack-a-shaq.

NBA plays 20% more minutes than college, NBA allows 20% more fouls than college. Makes sense to me. College should keep the number of fouls at 5, but need to continue to look at how the game can be changed to clean-up the physical play in the lane especially. The coaches need to be more involved in accomplishing this. Unless they coach it to be less physical, it will remain as it is.

Move the game to 12 minute quarters and increase to 6 PF. If it stays a 40 min game, leave them at 5. One foul per 8 minutes of game play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT