ADVERTISEMENT

Vaught: UK has to get more shots for Shep

We don’t have a competent head coach so that is very plausible. If cal has had that conversation with shep then why is shep shooting even less and not more?
Because he's a kid who jumped into the lottery from undrafted to start the year. He got thrown into the spotlight and expectations went from nothing to HUGE overnight. Mentally that can take a toll on players.

Reed will get it figured out but we as fans expect WAY more from him than we did prior to the start of the season. That's on us, not him. Let him work through it and you'll see him get back to shooting the open shots and playing his game

Reactions: Wonky and susan2361
He seems to be shooting less and less. Part of that might simply be defenders keying in on him now. But I have seen him pass open looks up repeatedly. I'm wondering if his ass is tightening up as the season goes on. We have seen that a lot with players here in recent years. Cal seems to have some strange ability to take confident shooters and turn them into self-doubting head cases as the season progresses. Lord forbid, we run a few simple screens for one of the best shooters in the nation.
The last game I remember Sheppard playing aggressive was the UNC-W loss. He almost won that game. Since the. He seems to be content hitting 3-5 3’s a game and that’s fine.

Because he's a kid who jumped into the lottery from undrafted to start the year. He got thrown into the spotlight and expectations went from nothing to HUGE overnight. Mentally that can take a toll on players.

Reed will get it figured out but we as fans expect WAY more from him than we did prior to the start of the season. That's on us, not him. Let him work through it and you'll see him get back to shooting the open shots and playing his game
Thanks for the point of view. I hadn't thought about it like that. I could see that something had changed. Again, thanks.

GO BIG BLUE!!!💙💙💙

Don’t disagree with any of that but that still doesn’t mean cal has had the conversation with him that you just assume he’s had because it would be insanity for that to have not taken place. Going back to the post I responded to cal was quoted as saying Reed doesn’t hunt for his shot and is focused on making those around him better instead. Don’t see anything about cal saying yeah I’ve had that talk with him that he not looking for his shot more, rather cal acknowledged that shep doesn’t look for his shot.

Totally agree that’s the reason. I just hope this team can work through all their issues (which appear to be growing by the day rather than shrinking) before they “run out of runway”, as Cal is so fond of saying.

Reactions: $Z71$
...and who is that on?

But yeah, more shots will fix our defense for sure! Thanks Vaught!

Seems like Reed was way more aggressive looking for his shot earlier in the season. Almost seems like something changed with him in that aspect. Almost like he’s been told to back off.
I have noticed a difference also. It does make you wonder...

One reason I know cal hasn’t had that conversation with him is Reed looks for his shot less now, not more, than he did earlier in the year.
Why are you under the assumption the players always do exactly what Cal tells them to. A lot of people here are under that same assumption. When players get on the court they're not robots. They'll either do something else they think is best, try but not be able to execute, or make a bad decision in the moment.

This is a direct quote from Oscar last year: "Most of the time we don’t really run what Coach is asking us to do."

When you have players saying that why are we assuming every decision the players make on the court is one Cal or another coach told them to make?

Guys it’s almost like he started out on a pace that is impossible to keep up. He’s not going to hit 50% of his threes all year. He’s not going to average 20 a game because while he’s a really good college player he’s still a freshman doing this for the first time. I expect he definitely won’t be lottery and we’ll see if he falls out of the 1st round.

Reactions: ukcatz12
Guys it’s almost like he started out on a pace that is impossible to keep up. He’s not going to hit 50% of his threes all year.
I dont know why people assume he can shoot 60% from 3 all year long and take 10 a game. The highest single season 3P% in college history is 56% on 4.6 attempts per game. Reed's currently at 54.8% on 4 attempts per game. To assume he can increase his attempts and have the single greatest shooting season in college basketball history is just not reality.

Reactions: JwUKFan11
I agree. ….One of things I have enjoyed about watching this team aside from their genuine enthusiasm and camaraderie was they pace they play with advancing the ball up the floor, on both live ball and made basket situations, plus moving the ball in their half court sets. However, the last game became the old high screen pick and roll on the both ends of the floor. I cannot believe we fell into that Dogshite trap and let them dictate the pace of the game. They were trapping the point on the screen and Shep coughed it up once and nearly again. A lot of times the screen pushed back out behind the 3 point line. At that point, he stood on the wing most of the game. Frankly, Rob was the one who handled the best, but he had a little difficulty as well. We need some motion sets to free people up.
i would use 2 littles on those screens if we are getting buried on those traps. We did a couple of times and freed Reed up for some shots when he set the on on the ball screen instead of our 5.

Why are you under the assumption the players always do exactly what Cal tells them to. A lot of people here are under that same assumption. When players get on the court they're not robots. They'll either do something else they think is best, try but not be able to execute, or make a bad decision in the moment.

This is a direct quote from Oscar last year: "Most of the time we don’t really run what Coach is asking us to do."

When you have players saying that why are we assuming every decision the players make on the court is one Cal or another coach told them to make?
Shep is not your average player, if the coach ask him to do something, he is most likely going to do it. Especially something like “hey, I need you to be more assertive on the floor and look for your shot more”.

Because that takes away shots from his 5 stars, we already know some players are jealous of Reed.
Edwards took 1 shot. And I think Bradshaw just 3. So, no you are wrong,

I think Cal only calls a handful of plays each game, otherwise he just tells them to “go play” and maybe “make the extra pass” (which Reed takes literally). Vs USC Reed stood around too much, you got to go get yourself open (like Murray did in 16, he was always moving).

Wondering if this is in part because DJ just isnt a great playmaker and facilitator.

Why is it that Cal was able to get Grady a ton of 3pt shots when he was healthy? We ran quite a bit of offense for him, and IMO that was the best Kentucky has looked in 5 years.

What's the catalyst here? Cal sure knows how to do this, so its not him. Shep is maybe a better shooter than Grady, so it's not him. Is it.. and I know this is going to scare some people.. that Wheeler is better at running an offense than DJ is?
Wagner isn’t really good at running the offense, you’re right. He’s much more of just a driver really.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I agree Shep needs to get more shots but Reeves is the best shooter and even Mitchell who is a good outside shooter but seems this team has no offensive sets what about a post up game getting easy shots close to the basket after all we have 3 seven footers.

Yes, the highest percentage shooter in the country and he might take 3 shots per game as of late. Why they don’t run plays to get him and Reeves open I don’t understand.
I have seen Mr' Shepard turn down many open shots . don't think anybody doesn't think he should take more shots but forcing it can't be good

And neither can Sheppard. Delusional you people think that works only one way.

I agree with Vaught he needs to be more aggressive and shoot more.
“Delusional you people think that that works only one way.”
If you are referring to me…what? You people?

Absolutely it works both ways. I think if you look at the stats and you carefully watch the games it often is not two ways. I agree with Vaught too he needs to shoot more and not give up shots that if given his teammate being at the same point they’d shoot it and not make another pass.

name the players that are jealous and your sources or admit your full of crap
i don’t sense that from watching but i don’t think you are full of it. None of us know if you are. I just have a hard time from watching thinking that is the case. I think if there is any it has been driven by the coach or coaches. My opinion.

1. Reed should shoot more than he does.
2. We had the highest scoring team in the country with Reed playing how he was playing and getting a ton of minutes.

In my opinion, there is false controversy being spun up around Reed to deflect from our abysmal performance Tuesday, when Reed played what? 13 minutes?

Basically we’ll be hit with a, “I have to sit Reed if he won’t shoot when he’s open,” narrative. Even though when he was playing 25+ minutes a night and being completely unselfish we were scoring in the 90s, and when he was benched we scored in the 60s.

Shep is not your average player, if the coach ask him to do something, he is most likely going to do it. Especially something like “hey, I need you to be more assertive on the floor and look for your shot more”.
If so , say in game 4 of this season Cal says " Shep you a great great. shooter , the. team needs you to not pass up any open three and take it " so since. then Shep has been ignoring him ? No I think its much much likely that Cal hasn't said one single thing about Shep bypassing. shots . Not a word. .. While we are on the topic I made a comment / question about 2 weeks ago . Someone tell if this really happened .. I remember the exact shot but turned away and didnt watch. the team walk. towards the huddle -- Shep had stuck 2-3 threes in a rather short amount of time .. he gets a steal and is leading a 3 on 2 break .. or 2 on 1 , anyway we had numbers , and she pulls up for a three from the left arch .. it was a pure " heat check". type attempt .. it missed , Time out is called and the guys I was watching the game with wear Wagner said ( via lip reading ) PASS THE BALL. If ... IF so it might explain Sheps hesitance to let it fly , hes got a guy with very little J at all telling him to pass it , the PG of the team telling him not. to freely take a three .
I. haste it but Shep needs a big game soon , hes starting to look non aggressive and like a player who is unsure of his role . And if you know anything about hoops this shouldn't ever happen with a player of his caliber . Sad to watch him struggle . I think he's getting a bit afraid to cut loose , Cal has reeled him in . because he has made some mistakes .. but no more than a couple others .

Every season we have a kid who can flat out stroke it , and we struggle to get him shots , and almost always a few posters say " well he just wont it " Good grief do we not see a. pattern here .. D Willis .. Frederick .. now Shep .. and no you morons ITS NOT SKIN COLOR .. its the inability of the coaches offense to get shooters their preferred shot ( a three)

Kentucky fans knew this like 4-5 games ago when he was scoring 20+ and we looked strong af.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

When Shep shoots 4 shots or less we don't do to well. Especially when DJ, Edwards, shoot 15+. Edwards stop shooting 3s. Bradshaw it was nice for a min but also stop. Shep should have a min. of 10 shots per game. Mostly lately he shoots 4.

Because that takes away shots from his 5 stars, we already know some players are jealous of Reed.
Which ones are that?
And who are the “we” that know?

Reed gets plenty of shots in the offense. He passes up many shots.

Non of the players are jealous. Thisnis the least selfish tram we've had in the Cal Era. Some people just can't help but push their agenda.
i know just calling out some of the jerks that want to bitch and set the standard of what everyone should believe is wrong with this team

Reactions: $Z71$
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT