ADVERTISEMENT

Vanderbilt loses another player to portal

Guessing Vandy is not on board with NIL.
I think they played too well down the stretch for it to be all about Stack.
Kids who have perfectly good relationships with their coaches are bolting everyday chasing a big NIL deal.
Welcome to the cannibalization of college basketball. No one wants to see an entirely new roster every year (unless you're circa 2009-2015 UK), and that's where this is heading.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I cannot imagine Vandy having a lot of NIL deals to hand out. If you're good enough you can go somewhere and make a lot more coin. That's what college sports is now.

Reactions: Catfan2226
True, he is starter material. But, if enough NIL money is waved at him would he be willing to give bench minutes for a pocketful of money and still get some decent minutes?

not sure what can be done to curb roster turnover. It’s been killing us for years. caps on NIL deals, sit out a year for all transfers period, etc. I have no faith the ncaa will get it right though.

not sure what can be done to curb roster turnover. It’s been killing us for years. caps on NIL deals, sit out a year for all transfers period, etc. I have no faith the ncaa will get it right though.
I'd have no problem if NIL was capped but how would u cap it..first thing be thrown up would be that the players have a right to make as much as possible..maybe giving the players a percentage of revenue sharing from what teams get from conference funds via the NCAA media rights would help but maybe not.I think NIL in it's current form is nothing but free agency run rampant in college hoops..perhaps limiting the transfer portal to a one time transfer option could work U only get one chance to transfer or making a scholarship mean something by mandating a 2 year commitment to the school you sign with unless you declare for the draft...speaking of which,I'd prefer if a player declares for the draft then that's it,no more eligibility for college hoops.Life is all about choices anyway.

Reactions: wardlow
Plus Vandy is one of just a very few schools whose Athletic Dept. is still part of the school, not a separate non-profit formed to run the "business" of sports on the fringes of an educational institution. i.e. They don't have free rein.

Welcome to the cannibalization of college basketball. No one wants to see an entirely new roster every year (unless you're circa 2009-2015 UK), and that's where this is heading.
College basketball is dead, it is nothing more than a NBA farm system. The portal and NIL are destroying the sport.

Reactions: bigbluedon
College basketball is dead, it is nothing more than a NBA farm system. The portal and NIL are destroying the sport.
College basketball with any semblance of amateurism became a dead man walking back in 2010 when the NCAA signed a contract for $1B a year. Revenue sports (football and men’s basketball) are quickly devolving into two divisions. Play for pay and play for scholarships. Freedom of movement and money for the players is not going back in the bottle. Nor should it. The talent deserves their share of the pie. Accept and adapt or just watch high school sports. Until it filters down to there.

Reactions: WildcatsAndBourbon
Cal ought to see if this Vandy guard is interested. Never hurts to ask. We have plenty of schollies

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT