ADVERTISEMENT

Vandagriff

Yet we were one of the slowest offenses in college football. Opening up the offense does not mean throw the ball only.

We have to play and act like we want the football and want to score points, not play ball control because we do not think we can outscore good opponents. We played scared on offense most of the time against any quality team.

Cant go fast if you cant get firsts. Cant get firsts if you're too busy calling bombs instead of handing it to statistically the best back in the nation.

The dumbest part of all was the deep shots were the weakest part of both leary and brown.

With this hire it seems stoops wanted someone who wasnt auditioning for the nfl by showing tons of complex yet awesome concepts instead of moving the ball, getting firsts, and winning games. If bvg can just be efficient it will be huge.

Watched several Boise State games and offense looked a lot like the Eddie Gran offense.

They are loaded with cash for sure. I have no doubt CMS entertained the thought of leaving, I think everyone agrees with that. I just think that the closer he got to College Station the more he heard their fans complaining the better Lexington and UK looked and he backed out. Thats just my theory, he has plenty of money, from what i have read here he has a successful distillery. Combine that with what had to be a panic hire of Elco. I just believe CMS was their guy and when it fell through they hired Elco in a panic, an assistant of the man they just paid 75m to fire, it makes zero sense.
Yep... But the money would make anyone look. Hell... They could have got Saban to look if not for age. I think they paid Jimbo $30 million to leave. LOL.

He was also his teams leading receiver as a frosh, rushed for the 1000+ yards as a soph. He is a very good athlete, I don't know if he is as quick or quicker than Levis, but to think he can't run the ball is just incorrect. But even as big and strong as Levis was, he took a beating running the ball as much as he did.
I think BV stated that when he runs he wants to make sure they are calculated and at the best opportunities. Not running just to run it and risk injury. He’s really an unknown right now, but could easily blow up into something great if things fall into place.

I think BV stated that when he runs he wants to make sure they are calculated and at the best opportunities. Not running just to run it and risk injury. He’s really an unknown right now, but could easily blow up into something great if things fall into place.

In HS he did pretty much what he wanted to, his receiving corp wasn't great but neither were the DBs so that kind of canceled each other out. He could throw into a tight window if needed or he could pull and run when needed. At UGA his snaps were limited and he didn't want to make a mistake, so I think he was quick to pull it and take off rather than throw into a tight window. There is 2 things against him, one and maybe both will correct themself. Inexperienced which is going to change and that little hitch in his windup/release. The last is a habit which is surprising because his dad was the HC/OC in high school and he has alway had a private QB coach

Reactions: Ky grandpa
In HS he did pretty much what he wanted to, his receiving corp wasn't great but neither were the DBs so that kind of canceled each other out. He could throw into a tight window if needed or he could pull and run when needed. At UGA his snaps were limited and he didn't want to make a mistake, so I think he was quick to pull it and take off rather than throw into a tight window. There is 2 things against him, one and maybe both will correct themself. Inexperienced which is going to change and that little hitch in his windup/release. The last is a habit which is surprising because his dad was the HC/OC in high school and he has alway had a private QB coach
I think throwing motion is just a product of some guys strength and agility. some just can't help it or overcome it and they need it to generate the power behind the throw. That's just my uneducated opinion on the matter. That kind of windup and long release is what kept a guy like Andre Woodson from having a longer and more fruitful NFL career.

And what's up with the board being spammed. looks like the sites been hacked or something.

I think throwing motion is just a product of some guys strength and agility. some just can't help it or overcome it and they need it to generate the power behind the throw. That's just my uneducated opinion on the matter. That kind of windup and long release is what kept a guy like Andre Woodson from having a longer and more fruitful NFL career.

And what's up with the board being spammed. looks like the sites been hacked or something.

You could be right, Tebow wasn't extremely tall, but he had the build of an ILB, still does and his throwing motion was lacking and followed him his entire career. But you could be correct about the strength and size deal. BV isn't near as big as Tebow is, Tebow looked 250+ on SEC network last fall.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Yep... But the money would make anyone look. Hell... They could have got Saban to look if not for age. I think they paid Jimbo $30 million to leave. LOL.

They paid Jimbo 75m to leave, that's wanting to get rid of someone pretty bad. Would think they would have gone the Tn route to avoid paying at least some of that.

Reactions: hmt5000
The Eddie Gran hate is preposterous. His biggest flaw was being unwilling to push back on Stoops towards the end.
I've always been a huge Eddie Gran fan. I don't think he wanted to push back on Stoops. I think it's just the opposite! Gran is the only college OC who completely adjusted his offense to fit his personnel. I agree with you that he showed at UC that he was capable of airing it out.

I think the plan with Barker was to have a balanced offense similar to Coen. Barker literally broke his back and they brought in Smitty to run the show. Gran revamped the offense around a young Benny Snell and some decent receivers. This led to success and they stuck with it. They tried to balance the offense out again with Touchdown Terry, but we ended up with our 3rd string QB, then down to Bowden having to play quarterback. (Yet, Gran still won games!)

This string of QB injuries combined with successful RBs was being used against UK in recruiting. Good QBs and receivers were not interested in UK. Gran knew this and fell on his sword, and stepped away from OC. This kind of loyalty and committment to the program is the reason Stoops will always make room for Eddie Gran somewhere in the program. EG wouldn't stick around UK (after giving up his OC position) if he thought Stoops held him back. How many coaches want to remain with the program after losing a coordinator position???

EG will always be hold a place of respect in my book! I agree with you 110% that anyone who throws shade toward Eddie Gran doesn't know football, how many times he revamped our offense to make it work, and his importance to the UK program. This was also during the timeframe that the program was climbing out of the toilet. He was in control during our first 10 win season since the telephone was invented! Stoops knows how important Gran has been to the program!

That was a frustrating loss. We had that one. Would love to get some payback this year.
And the time before that when we played and shanked a XP to tie in the last few seconds. ( I think COVID year) And a few years before that 2017-18 or so they barely edged us out by a FG or so.

Ole Miss is due one from the Big Blue.

Not sure how you are defining "opening the offense" but last year under Coen the Cats were 52/48 pass to run, the only year during the Stoops era where I would call us being balanced. Scang was 42/58, Coen in 2021 was 42/58, then in the Gran years we were almost exactly 2:1 run to pass every year.

IMO Stoops is attempting to move us towards a more modern college offense that requires balance. Stoops will never be a Mike Leach or a Lane Kiffin but the offenses we feature should show more balance and be more along the lines of the best teams like Georgia and Bama.
I don't think there is any evidence to support Stoops having his thumb on the scales pushing OCs to run more. He does have a general liking for the ability to control games at the end with a combination of running and short passing.
I mean its somewhat true forsure look at every OC before and after UK job ,he definitely pumps the brakes on them. I think if you look at all those OCs look at before ,at UK,and after UK!

Reactions: jnewc2
Yet we were one of the slowest offenses in college football. Opening up the offense does not mean throw the ball only.

We have to play and act like we want the football and want to score points, not play ball control because we do not think we can outscore good opponents. We played scared on offense most of the time against any quality team.
It's just the predictable stuff ,he has no ingame feel to me ,I think he's one of the worst ingame coaches predictable,no chances just always doing the most safe things . Then the one time he does gamble it's a awful decision. I think he has reached his pinnacle at UK ,i hope not, but I do believe it . I'm rdy for Summerall to get a shot . I think its time for a new voice and new gameplan in football just like basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT