ADVERTISEMENT

Vandagriff

Grumpy said one thing that sticks out. If Stoops opens the offense. It has not mattered the QB so far (besides Levis first year), we just have not opened the offense. I do not expect it to change this year. We are defense heavy up front. Stoops will want ball control so he can control the line of scrimmage from the defense. I look for BV to open it up on lesser competition and against the SEC 8 of our games, we will be conservative. Hope Stoops proves me wrong. But doubt it.

• Sad
Reactions: BlueTick2
Grumpy said one thing that sticks out. If Stoops opens the offense. It has not mattered the QB so far (besides Levis first year), we just have not opened the offense. I do not expect it to change this year. We are defense heavy up front. Stoops will want ball control so he can control the line of scrimmage from the defense. I look for BV to open it up on lesser competition and against the SEC 8 of our games, we will be conservative. Hope Stoops proves me wrong. But doubt it.
I sure understand you bud, but honestly, I’ll take a 7-6 win all day and jump for joy. lol I too would 1000% like to see us running 20 or so more plays average than the last few years and would hope with our offensive players we can make it happen this season. I think he’s had to play that way for a number of reasons, including our defensive players were our best group and we were dropping so many balls last season early. We’re about as even this year on both sides as I can remember being and should let us take a few more chances and get those big 3td downs. Thanks bud. I’m really high on this group and even though the schedule is pretty tough, I think we’re going to surprise everyone and have an unbelievable year. Let’s go.

Reactions: The-Hack
Legend has it Levis broke his toe kicking something in frustration of the ole Miss loss. And hampered him the rest of the yr.

That was the rumor. Who knows if it was true but i didn't see where he injured it during the game. He twisted an ankle iirc so maybe somehow his toe got something too but didn't look like it.

Not sure how you are defining "opening the offense" but last year under Coen the Cats were 52/48 pass to run, the only year during the Stoops era where I would call us being balanced. Scang was 42/58, Coen in 2021 was 42/58, then in the Gran years we were almost exactly 2:1 run to pass every year.

IMO Stoops is attempting to move us towards a more modern college offense that requires balance. Stoops will never be a Mike Leach or a Lane Kiffin but the offenses we feature should show more balance and be more along the lines of the best teams like Georgia and Bama.
I don't think there is any evidence to support Stoops having his thumb on the scales pushing OCs to run more. He does have a general liking for the ability to control games at the end with a combination of running and short passing.

Not sure how you are defining "opening the offense" but last year under Coen the Cats were 52/48 pass to run, the only year during the Stoops era where I would call us being balanced. Scang was 42/58, Coen in 2021 was 42/58, then in the Gran years we were almost exactly 2:1 run to pass every year.

IMO Stoops is attempting to move us towards a more modern college offense that requires balance. Stoops will never be a Mike Leach or a Lane Kiffin but the offenses we feature should show more balance and be more along the lines of the best teams like Georgia and Bama.
I don't think there is any evidence to support Stoops having his thumb on the scales pushing OCs to run more. He does have a general liking for the ability to control games at the end with a combination of running and short passing.

By running more plays. I don't know how true it was, but from reading this site UK was near the bottom in total number of plays run during the 23 season, lots of complaining about that. Maybe speeding up the offense would have been less confusing. But imo any means you use to shorten the games is be it running the ball a high percentage or taking near max time between plays does the same thing, reduces the possessions and number of plays you run.

Reactions: UKfirst
Maybe speeding up the offense would have been less confusing.

In Scang’s only year, our O-line looked crippled by confusion.

Last year, the light didn’t quite turn on for Leary and his receivers until the U of L and Clemson games. Leary completed below 60 percent of his passes on the season, an anemic number for a team passing the ball 52 percent of the time.

Reactions: satcheluk
Coen in 2021 was 42/58,

Is that by the play that was called, or how it resulted?

Levis is as so prone to take off and lower a shoulder in ‘21, that that may skew the numbers. He had a lot of runs, most successful, that were obviously called passing plays.

Is that by the play that was called, or how it resulted?

Levis is as so prone to take off and lower a shoulder in ‘21, that that may skew the numbers. He had a lot of runs, most successful, that were obviously called passing plays.
I use Team Rankings and the categories are just pass play and run play, no further specifics given. What you say sounds logical so maybe Coen's play calling was a bit closer to balanced then the stats show.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT