ADVERTISEMENT

Vacationing By Yourself

KyCatFan

All-American
May 7, 2002
If you were/are single living in Kentucky and wanted to take a trip less than a day of driving away, where would you go? I recently went through a divorce after nearly 24 years of marriage. I never really got to go anywhere I wanted to go because it was always a family vacation. Well now's my chance. It just feels weird thinking about traveling by myself for the first time since I was in the Air Force nearly 30 years ago.

I thought about a cruise, but with it being hurricane season, I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Plus I'm not sure if you can find reasonably priced last minute cruises. I'm not a sit around at the beach type of person. So I don't think that would be a choice. I'm a fan of sight seeing. I've been wanting to see DC for a while, but the hotel costs might be an issue. Plus the weather will be changing pretty soon if I don't go in the next few weeks.

Got any suggestions based off of your experiences?

Do you have hobbies? As I look back on it, I have never really taken a "vacation" by myself but I travel alone for work or for hobbies all the time.

I love to take a good immersive course for a solo trip. I've done cooking courses, shooting courses, etc. Since there was a group and a goal, the socialization was easy and came naturally.

I was going to say, if you're interested in DC, you might as well make a trip going up the east coast. DC to Philly to Manhattan to Boston. You could even head into the ADKs/Vermont/NH/Maine to really see the fall season.

Reactions: Mossip and KyCatFan
Do you have hobbies? As I look back on it, I have never really taken a "vacation" by myself but I travel alone for work or for hobbies all the time.

I love to take a good immersive course for a solo trip. I've done cooking courses, shooting courses, etc. Since there was a group and a goal, the socialization was easy and came naturally.
I've been trying to pick up new hobbies, but most I struggle with doing them by myself. I need to take some classes in something. I use to like to draw but don't do it much anymore. Thought maybe being in a class with others might help get/keep me motivated. The same goes for music. Was trying to learn the guitar, but just isn't as fun to do by myself. I played in band back in school and enjoyed it while being around others. Lately woodworking is my newest attempt at a hobby. Not sure if that one could translate to a vacation trip.

Reactions: Hank Camacho
If you were/are single living in Kentucky and wanted to take a trip less than a day of driving away, where would you go? I recently went through a divorce after nearly 24 years of marriage. I never really got to go anywhere I wanted to go because it was always a family vacation. Well now's my chance. It just feels weird thinking about traveling by myself for the first time since I was in the Air Force nearly 30 years ago.

I thought about a cruise, but with it being hurricane season, I'm not sure if I want to risk it. Plus I'm not sure if you can find reasonably priced last minute cruises. I'm not a sit around at the beach type of person. So I don't think that would be a choice. I'm a fan of sight seeing. I've been wanting to see DC for a while, but the hotel costs might be an issue. Plus the weather will be changing pretty soon if I don't go in the next few weeks.

UP, Painted Rocks, Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes, Michigan
Asheville, NC
Chicago, IL
I'm just a fan of cities. The architecture boat tour is great. Plus, I just love driving around. Ukraine Village, Wrigleyville, the Gold Coast. The Aquarium. The Art Institute.
DC in season is brutal. Yellow Fever and Malaria used to be endemic there.
The Ozarks are within a day's drive.

That's a good thing, imo. East Coast is a great fall roadie. Start in DC and work your way up to Manhattan.

(Assuming you like history/museums. I'm a nerd.)
That's why I have been thinking of DC. I like going to museums and seeing historically important places/things. Just heard the hotels near the subway were really expensive and that you didn't want to drive everywhere. I'm not sure I'm ready for a multi state sightseeing trip yet. I probably would have to do New York another time. I don't like to feel rushed. Did like a 3 day trip to Chicago (field trip with my son's fifth grade class years ago) and felt rushed and missed out on a lot. Maybe I just needed to do a trip on my own that I planned.
I was going to say, if you're interested in DC, you might as well make a trip going up the east coast. DC to Philly to Manhattan to Boston. You could even head into the ADKs/Vermont/NH/Maine to really see the fall season.
Was stationed up in Maine back in 91. Not sure I want to go back that far up in the Northeast again. Maybe New York or Massachusetts is about as far as I'd go. Unless I just want to mark off more states that I haven't been to yet.

That's why I have been thinking of DC. I like going to museums and seeing historically important places/things. Just heard the hotels near the subway were really expensive and that you didn't want to drive everywhere. I'm not sure I'm ready for a multi state sightseeing trip yet. I probably would have to do New York another time. I don't like to feel rushed. Did like a 3 day trip to Chicago (field trip with my son's fifth grade class years ago) and felt rushed and missed out on a lot. Maybe I just needed to do a trip on my own that I planned.

Was stationed up in Maine back in 91. Not sure I want to go back that far up in the Northeast again. Maybe New York or Massachusetts is about as far as I'd go. Unless I just want to mark off more states that I haven't been to yet.

Yeah Maine is probably pretty far if you're starting in DC. But I will say, Portland ME is a damn underrated city. Some of the best breweries, seafood and restaurants I've been to. The nice thing about Portland, it's only like 2hr from Boston. You're not really going INTO Maine, instead more or less on the border.

Yeah Maine is probably pretty far if you're starting in DC. But I will say, Portland ME is a damn underrated city. Some of the best breweries, seafood and restaurants I've been to. The nice thing about Portland, it's only like 2hr from Boston. You're not really going INTO Maine, instead more or less on the border.
I was basically in Canada when I was in Maine. It was pretty remote. I remember gas being like $.30+ more a gallon (was $.99 in Kentucky) and we ran out of stuff on base at times because of long deliveries. Good times. Got there in the middle of October and was wearing shorts. The next week it was knee deep snow and it stayed on the ground the whole time I was there (left right before Christmas). Not like here in Kentucky where you can get a foot of snow today and a couple days later it's gone.

Look at staying in Crystal City, Arlington. You can take a 5- 8 minute train ride anywhere into DC. Easy to get to the museums.
Hotel might be cheaper.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Traverse City MI
Ashville NC has been mentioned. Nice area.

I lived in the DC area for nearly 10 years. Great area to visit...stinks living there IMO. There's a lot of things to see in and around DC. Gettysburg and Antietam civil war battlefields are close by.

I lived in the StL area as well and even though I like it, I wouldn't pick it first, or second, or third.

Charleston SC can be driven in 11 hours or so. Nice city and the ocean is right there.

And if you do end up going to DC, do yourself a favor and use the subway as much as possible. It's a great way to get around there...at least it used to be. Also, go to the area around Arlington cemetery at NIGHT and you'll get a great view of the city. DC is beautiful at night with everything lit up.

New York has a beautiful fall, too, in some areas. Hubby and I have been talking about moving to Syracuse, NY because we love the cooler weather and the snow.

And if you do end up going to DC, do yourself a favor and use the subway as much as possible. It's a great way to get around there...at least it used to be. Also, go to the area around Arlington cemetery at NIGHT and you'll get a great view of the city. DC is beautiful at night with everything lit up.
I've never used the subway there, but I LOVED the MBTA in the Boston area. Could ride the 'T' all day long.

New York has a beautiful fall, too, in some areas. Hubby and I have been talking about moving to Syracuse, NY because we love the cooler weather and the snow.

I personally would stay out of central and western NY in terms of living. Kind of depressed areas and that's where the rust belt is sort of bleeding into. Aka, cities like Rochester, Utica, Syracuse, Binghampton.. not a lot of growth there at all.

I would look towards the Hudson coridor and up into the ADKs. That's where it's REALLY beautiful. And some of the lakes/mountains in the ADKs start only an hour or so from Syracuse.

Reactions: NociHTTP

If you do decide to do a cruise vacationstogo.com has great deals on last minute cruises. A lot of cruise ships offer great prices to fill up the ships at the last minute. You can get 7 day cruises to the Caribbean for less than $1,000 and even as low as under $500 in a lot of cases.

Oh and sorry to hear about your divorce.

I've not cruised before, but my girlfriend has, and my understanding is that last-minute is when you can get the best deals. Not to mention you are more aware of whether or not any storms are coming.

I also am not a "lay on the beach" or "hangout at the pool bar" type. I want to be doing something (fun).
If you are interested in a really cool trip. The best I've been on was with my Ex & our 2 kids. We went to Belize, spending the first half of the week at a resort in the rain forest, and the 2nd half of the week at a more traditional beach resort. The beach resort was nice, but really it was just a chance to relax after all of the adventure at the rain forest resort. This place is small, 24 rooms, each room is a separate tree-house. Only power to the rooms was to run the ceiling fan. Had a nice outdoor shower (also an indoor one). One entire side was 100% screened in (no wall) overlooking the jungle & river below. They had a covered area where everyone met for dinner (also had breakfast there), great food, and they would walk from table to table with a list of 8-10 activities and asked you to pick which one you wanted to do the next day. Some that we didn't do included: swimming w/ the sharks, cave tubing, chocolate making tour, zoo trip. What we went with were: zip lining, waterfall rappelling, caving, and sink hole rappel. These would usually last from like 8 until 1 or 2, then when you got back (exhausted) everyone would go to the pool, and talk with the other guests about what they did giving you ideas on what you did or didn't want to do the next day. Oh, and the local made drinks are free there too, but you pay for non-domestic.
- the zip lining was ok, we did better the year before in Colorado, and a couple years later in Costa Rica
- the waterfall rappelling was also ok, but we did better a couple years later in Costa Rica
- the caving was great. You would follow this stream in the cave, going under water at one point, and then when you would get to a waterfall, they would put safety gear on you and you would climb up it, and then go on to the next waterfall. I think there were 5 or 6 total. At the end you swam in this small pool sized area, then it was time to leave. Once you got to the edge of each waterfall, you had to jump off (into this dark hole); the highest of which was probably about 15'-20'.
- the sink hole rappel was the most scared I've been in my life (more than the one time tandem skydive), so very exciting. It started with an hour-long hike to the top of this hill, that put you on the outside of an enormous sinkhole, which was several football fields big, and 300' deep. They then put your rappelling gear on you, showed you the safety (the backup to your gear, and the backup to the backup). And then you step-off the edge and rappel down 300'.
The place is called Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Resort. There are some cool Youtube videos guests have taken showing some of the stuff you do there.

I've not cruised before, but my girlfriend has, and my understanding is that last-minute is when you can get the best deals. Not to mention you are more aware of whether or not any storms are coming.

I also am not a "lay on the beach" or "hangout at the pool bar" type. I want to be doing something (fun).
If you are interested in a really cool trip. The best I've been on was with my Ex & our 2 kids. We went to Belize, spending the first half of the week at a resort in the rain forest, and the 2nd half of the week at a more traditional beach resort. The beach resort was nice, but really it was just a chance to relax after all of the adventure at the rain forest resort. This place is small, 24 rooms, each room is a separate tree-house. Only power to the rooms was to run the ceiling fan. Had a nice outdoor shower (also an indoor one). One entire side was 100% screened in (no wall) overlooking the jungle & river below. They had a covered area where everyone met for dinner (also had breakfast there), great food, and they would walk from table to table with a list of 8-10 activities and asked you to pick which one you wanted to do the next day. Some that we didn't do included: swimming w/ the sharks, cave tubing, chocolate making tour, zoo trip. What we went with were: zip lining, waterfall rappelling, caving, and sink hole rappel. These would usually last from like 8 until 1 or 2, then when you got back (exhausted) everyone would go to the pool, and talk with the other guests about what they did giving you ideas on what you did or didn't want to do the next day. Oh, and the local made drinks are free there too, but you pay for non-domestic.
- the zip lining was ok, we did better the year before in Colorado, and a couple years later in Costa Rica
- the waterfall rappelling was also ok, but we did better a couple years later in Costa Rica
- the caving was great. You would follow this stream in the cave, going under water at one point, and then when you would get to a waterfall, they would put safety gear on you and you would climb up it, and then go on to the next waterfall. I think there were 5 or 6 total. At the end you swam in this small pool sized area, then it was time to leave. Once you got to the edge of each waterfall, you had to jump off (into this dark hole); the highest of which was probably about 15'-20'.
- the sink hole rappel was the most scared I've been in my life (more than the one time tandem skydive), so very exciting. It started with an hour-long hike to the top of this hill, that put you on the outside of an enormous sinkhole, which was several football fields big, and 300' deep. They then put your rappelling gear on you, showed you the safety (the backup to your gear, and the backup to the backup). And then you step-off the edge and rappel down 300'.
The place is called Ian Anderson's Caves Branch Resort. There are some cool Youtube videos guests have taken showing some of the stuff you do there.
Second Belize but that might be a rough trip by yourself though usually the activities have more than just your group or yourself in them.

We did a very similar trip. Half the time in the rain forest, San Ignacio was the town. We were at an eco lodge outside of town that had hikes up mountains and you could tube down the river. It’s right on the border of Guatemala which has some amazing Mayan ruins. Went caving which is something I never thought I would like but it was amazing. I’d recommend doing the Crystal Maiden cave tour as it mixes history with the caving.

Then spent our other time on the beach in Palcenia which is more of a lazy beach town with a decent ex-pat community. Went to a ex-pat bar to watch a UK football game while there. Great food from a mix of cultures and Belekin beer which I wish was in the states. They have party beaches too in the Cayes if that’s what you are more interested in.

Amazingly beautiful place though there are definitely parts that are unsafe. The lodge we stayed at picked us up at the airport and the driver was our guide for a lot of activities so we got to know each other which was fun. Plus it’s easier to feel comfortable with a local showing you around and taking you to the restaurants they like which they will do if you want.

OP I'd strongly consider something more than a day's drive away. I've been through divorce and driving long trips was really helpful. Much to see and do west of the Mississippi. I prefer the open spaces, few people and nature but some dont.

Had an old college buddy who got divorced and drove out West for a few weeks. Gambled a bit in Vegas (probably got a hooker as well) then went to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mount Rushmore, etc. Always wanted to see those places but never could with the ex. Came back with a fresh mind and has been seriously dating someone the past few years.

Reactions: vhcat70

I lived in DC and love that area. Just a thought....the Army-Navy football game is in DC this year. Later than you wanted to go (Game is in December), but a fun thing to do while there. Or just a home game in Annapolis in the fall and check out the town and naval academy would be cool.

Head to Chicago and go see Ohio State play Northwestern at Wrigley Field.

I love doing trips around athletic events. I talked my wife into going to London (well, she was all in) so I could go to the UK game.

Being a single would give you a really good advantage on getting a decent ticket for a sporting event.

Had an old college buddy who got divorced and drove out West for a few weeks. Gambled a bit in Vegas (probably got a hooker as well) then went to Yellowstone, Yosemite, Mount Rushmore, etc. Always wanted to see those places but never could with the ex. Came back with a fresh mind and has been seriously dating someone the past few years.
If Y, Y, and MR don't improve your outlook, you're in deep doodoo. Sounds like it was good therapy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT